POLL: Should The Bolts Trade Up For Tua?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingcrimson
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

What if Tua can't stay healthy? What if Hurts never learns to read a defense? What if Love plays like he did last year and not the year before? What if Lawrence plays like he did in the national championship game?

Drafting a QB is a total crapshoot.
    This. This is something we both agree on. We’ve seen time and time again that hype + draft position does not translate to success in the NFL. You can say someone has good vision, arm strength, IQ, athleticism, decision making, but it still and always will be a crapshoot. If it wasn’t, then people like Russel Wilson and Tom Brady would have went in the 1st round and people like Trubisky and Josh Rosen would have went in the later rounds.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Or undrafted.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

We should inform all 32 teams this breaking revelation
        2020 will be the first draft no quarterbacks are drafted
        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

Forget about Tua
          Simmons, Brown or the best OT available.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
            Forget about Tua
            Simmons, Brown or the best OT available.
            This is close to my cluster. That being said, we will be drafting a QB at #6 if it’s a guy we are high on. Now that being said, SIMMONS or die!

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Disagree and Herbert wont make it to the second half of the first round. QBs always get over drafted whether they deserve to be or not. How else does Blaine Gabbart go #10? He wasnt very good on college. Neither was Kyle Boller who went 12th ...and Baltimore traded up for him.

Its just the way it is. I dont think Herbert is #6 QB worthy but maybe Carlolina does at #7, maybe Jax does and takes him at #9 if we trade back.
              You act like everything will just fall in place for us. You also act like we wil be the only team that will want Lawrence. Both are foolish thinking.

I think some are worthy of #6....its just that one wont happen for us without trading the farm and the other is a china doll that i just cant draft there with good conscience. I think Herbert has potentual but needs some work. Id rather use a 2nd on him but no way that that will happen so in reality, i think we have to pick him at #6....which is why i have him there in my sig.
              You saying he has the most potentual is a reason alone to use #6 on him. You probably arent the only one who thinks that and ther are teams right behind us that need a QB with potentual.

Every draft pick is potentual.
              When you mention names like Gabbart and Boller (and there are so many more), you are proving my point. Just because other teams made foolish use of their early first round draft picks does not mean that we need to join them.

In some years, there just are not any elite franchise QBs available. It does not matter if we have the #6 overall pick if there is no QB there worth taking.

It is important to grade and not overgrade the player and let the board come to us. Wasting an early first round pick on a non-franchise QB does not help anything. Taylor is an efficient QB that serves nicely as a place holder until the right QB comes along, whether that is Lawrence or some other QB.

This year's QBs are overhyped beyond belief. I am absolutely not buying Burrow given that he could not beat out Haskins at Ohio State; he needed a loaded team in just the right system at LSU to put up one season only of elite stats, and he has some noteworthy physical limitations. He may end up being a good NFL player, but the risk factors do not profile well as a top 6 pick. Honestly, in my view, he has game manager type QB written all over him and we have an okay game manager at QB right now in Taylor.

Tua, with his size and injury history, is a straight pass--not even a first round player for me. I would be tempted not to pull the trigger on him at #37, but he does have some arm talent, so I admit that I would have mixed feelings about that.

Herbert has all of the physical ability/durability traits, but he is a bit raw/rough around the edges. Sometimes those players develop. Sometimes they do not even with all of their physical ability. I kind of like him, but not at #6 overall when at least one of Young, Simmons, Okudah, Brown and Becton (assuming Burrow gets taken in the first 6 picks) should be on the board. Those players seem comparatively safer and seem like they have a higher ceiling, but I admit that there are no guarantees.

And I think there is a good chance that Telesco decides to take Herbert at #6 if he is on the board. I do not agree with that approach, but he gets to make that call and not me. And while I would be disappointed with such a pick (as I was with Williams at #7) and would be sure to post about that, I would also be rooting big time for the player and the team.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

When you mention names like Gabbart and Boller (and there are so many more), you are proving my point. Just because other teams made foolish use of their early first round draft picks does not mean that we need to join them.

In some years, there just are not any elite franchise QBs available. It does not matter if we have the #6 overall pick if there is no QB there worth taking.

It is important to grade and not overgrade the player and let the board come to us. Wasting an early first round pick on a non-franchise QB does not help anything. Taylor is an efficient QB that serves nicely as a place holder until the right QB comes along, whether that is Lawrence or some other QB.

This year's QBs are overhyped beyond belief. I am absolutely not buying Burrow given that he could not beat out Haskins at Ohio State; he needed a loaded team in just the right system at LSU to put up one season only of elite stats, and he has some noteworthy physical limitations. He may end up being a good NFL player, but the risk factors do not profile well as a top 6 pick. Honestly, in my view, he has game manager type QB written all over him and we have an okay game manager at QB right now in Taylor.

Tua, with his size and injury history, is a straight pass--not even a first round player for me. I would be tempted not to pull the trigger on him at #37, but he does have some arm talent, so I admit that I would have mixed feelings about that.

Herbert has all of the physical ability/durability traits, but he is a bit raw/rough around the edges. Sometimes those players develop. Sometimes they do not even with all of their physical ability. I kind of like him, but not at #6 overall when at least one of Young, Simmons, Okudah, Brown and Becton (assuming Burrow gets taken in the first 6 picks) should be on the board. Those players seem comparatively safer and seem like they have a higher ceiling, but I admit that there are no guarantees.

And I think there is a good chance that Telesco decides to take Herbert at #6 if he is on the board. I do not agree with that approach, but he gets to make that call and not me. And while I would be disappointed with such a pick (as I was with Williams at #7) and would be sure to post about that, I would also be rooting big time for the player and the team.
                This response is getting old. Same repeated jibberish.
                Drafting Burrow at 6 is no different than drafting Simmons at 6. Both are potentual.

Your point is you only love Lawrence and we should tank or give up our whole draft for him, we know that. Thanks.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post

This. This is something we both agree on. We’ve seen time and time again that hype + draft position does not translate to success in the NFL. You can say someone has good vision, arm strength, IQ, athleticism, decision making, but it still and always will be a crapshoot. If it wasn’t, then people like Russel Wilson and Tom Brady would have went in the 1st round and people like Trubisky and Josh Rosen would have went in the later rounds.
                  I went back and watched Brady's final game at Michigan on youtube. He was fantastic: accurate, good arm, got rid of the ball quickly, knew where to go with the football. Basically what you saw his 2nd year with the Pats. Even with the Patriots, it required Bledsoe's injury to get him on the field. Sometimes evaluators get into their head what the ideal quarterback should be & ignore what their eyes tell them. They tend to over analyze little things: why was Brady splitting time until his senior year, etc.? Akili Smith & Donavon McNabb went high in the first, the year before Brady was drafted; even back then, speed mattered, and Brady was slower than molasses.

The flavor of today is highly mobile qbs: guys who can place stress on defenses with their ability to scramble. The qb who places stress on defenses with their ability to get rid of the ball quickly, or make any throw is undervalued today. Defenses will be focused on stopping the former and the latter style qb will make hay.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Drafting Burrow at 6 is no different than drafting Simmons at 6. Both are potentual.

Your point is you only love Lawrence and we should tank or give up our whole draft for him, we know that. Thanks.
                    Reminds me of the people who said wait for next years incredible qb crop: Rosen/Arnold/Allen.

Next years qb crop is always more appealing.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

Burrow at 6 is impossible
                      Simmons at 6 ? I have hope.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Reminds me of the people who said wait for next years incredible qb crop: Rosen/Arnold/Allen.

Next years qb crop is always more appealing.
                        This class is better than last years class imo. Last years was very weak. This years top end QBs have more question marks that it didnt have before the season but then you have better prospects in the second and third rounds than last years.

Even the three you posted above werent sure fire prospects. Allen was inaccurate, Darnold wasnt all that imo and Rosen had his critics, but they were considered top QB prospects.
                        Burrow was better than all three last season. Some want to call it the system, but a smart OC where ever he lands will install what works for him. Someone like Gruden wont. He has his complicated system and you are going to run it, come hell or high water.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Again, you are confusing two separate issues--1) my view of Lawrence and 2) my view of Burrow, Tua, Herbert and Simmons.

Right now, in order not to confuse the issue, I will limit my statement to just the second issue, which is actually pretty simple.

The #6 overall pick is an early pick that should produce a virtually guaranteed blue chip star player (like Rivers, Tomlinson, or Bosa).

I do not consider any of this year's QBs to be such a player.

Burrow lacks a track record of multiple years of success and could only succeed in just the right system with a team far superior to its opponents, somethiing not likely to be repeated at the NFL level. He also could not beat out Haskins (who has struggled so far in the NFL) at Ohio State and lacks arm strength. Going into this season, draft pundits had Burrow rated as a 4th or 5th round QB. This simply is not the profile of a top 6 NFL draft pick. It just isn't regardless of how much hype he is getting.

Tua is small and injury prone and our OL has been below average to terrible for a dozen seasons in a row. Nothing terrible could ever happen with that combination. Seriously, Tua, even though he does have some arm talent, is a hard pass at #6, much less with respect to a potential trade up scenario.

I actualy like Herbert, who you are suggesting we will be taking at #6 overall. I even like him as a first round player, but there are probably a good 15-20 players that I would take before taking him. I think Herbert has the potential to be a great NFL QB, but he also carries way more risk than a player like Simmons, who is very likely to succeed at the NFL level.

I could not disagree more with your assertion that drafting Burrow is no different than drafting Simmons. Simmons is a virtual lock to succeed at the NFL level. Burrow is not.

Comment

Working...
                          X