POLL: Should The Bolts Trade Up For Tua?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Disagree and Herbert wont make it to the second half of the first round. QBs always get over drafted whether they deserve to be or not. How else does Blaine Gabbart go #10? He wasnt very good on college. Neither was Kyle Boller who went 12th ...and Baltimore traded up for him.

Its just the way it is. I dont think Herbert is #6 QB worthy but maybe Carlolina does at #7, maybe Jax does and takes him at #9 if we trade back.
    You act like everything will just fall in place for us. You also act like we wil be the only team that will want Lawrence. Both are foolish thinking.

I think some are worthy of #6....its just that one wont happen for us without trading the farm and the other is a china doll that i just cant draft there with good conscience. I think Herbert has potentual but needs some work. Id rather use a 2nd on him but no way that that will happen so in reality, i think we have to pick him at #6....which is why i have him there in my sig.
    You saying he has the most potentual is a reason alone to use #6 on him. You probably arent the only one who thinks that and ther are teams right behind us that need a QB with potentual.

Every draft pick is potentual.
    When you mention names like Gabbart and Boller (and there are so many more), you are proving my point. Just because other teams made foolish use of their early first round draft picks does not mean that we need to join them.

In some years, there just are not any elite franchise QBs available. It does not matter if we have the #6 overall pick if there is no QB there worth taking.

It is important to grade and not overgrade the player and let the board come to us. Wasting an early first round pick on a non-franchise QB does not help anything. Taylor is an efficient QB that serves nicely as a place holder until the right QB comes along, whether that is Lawrence or some other QB.

This year's QBs are overhyped beyond belief. I am absolutely not buying Burrow given that he could not beat out Haskins at Ohio State; he needed a loaded team in just the right system at LSU to put up one season only of elite stats, and he has some noteworthy physical limitations. He may end up being a good NFL player, but the risk factors do not profile well as a top 6 pick. Honestly, in my view, he has game manager type QB written all over him and we have an okay game manager at QB right now in Taylor.

Tua, with his size and injury history, is a straight pass--not even a first round player for me. I would be tempted not to pull the trigger on him at #37, but he does have some arm talent, so I admit that I would have mixed feelings about that.

Herbert has all of the physical ability/durability traits, but he is a bit raw/rough around the edges. Sometimes those players develop. Sometimes they do not even with all of their physical ability. I kind of like him, but not at #6 overall when at least one of Young, Simmons, Okudah, Brown and Becton (assuming Burrow gets taken in the first 6 picks) should be on the board. Those players seem comparatively safer and seem like they have a higher ceiling, but I admit that there are no guarantees.

And I think there is a good chance that Telesco decides to take Herbert at #6 if he is on the board. I do not agree with that approach, but he gets to make that call and not me. And while I would be disappointed with such a pick (as I was with Williams at #7) and would be sure to post about that, I would also be rooting big time for the player and the team.

Leave a comment:

• like54ninjas
    replied
    Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
    Forget about Tua
    Simmons, Brown or the best OT available.
    This is close to my cluster. That being said, we will be drafting a QB at #6 if it’s a guy we are high on. Now that being said, SIMMONS or die!

Leave a comment:

• Maniaque 6
    replied
    Forget about Tua
    Simmons, Brown or the best OT available.

Leave a comment:

• 21&500
    replied
    We should inform all 32 teams this breaking revelation
    2020 will be the first draft no quarterbacks are drafted

Leave a comment:

• blueman
    replied
    Or undrafted.

Leave a comment:

• Kingcrimson
    replied
    Originally posted by richpjr View Post

What if Tua can't stay healthy? What if Hurts never learns to read a defense? What if Love plays like he did last year and not the year before? What if Lawrence plays like he did in the national championship game?

Drafting a QB is a total crapshoot.
    This. This is something we both agree on. We’ve seen time and time again that hype + draft position does not translate to success in the NFL. You can say someone has good vision, arm strength, IQ, athleticism, decision making, but it still and always will be a crapshoot. If it wasn’t, then people like Russel Wilson and Tom Brady would have went in the 1st round and people like Trubisky and Josh Rosen would have went in the later rounds.

Leave a comment:

• richpjr
    replied
    Originally posted by PR#1 View Post
    What if Herbert become Josh Rosen 2.0 ?

Then what ?
    What if Tua can't stay healthy? What if Hurts never learns to read a defense? What if Love plays like he did last year and not the year before? What if Lawrence plays like he did in the national championship game?

Drafting a QB is a total crapshoot.

Leave a comment:

• dmac_bolt
    replied
    Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

Then what ?
    trade him to Miami?

Leave a comment:

• PR#1
    replied

Then what ?

Leave a comment:

• Sb4Rivers
    replied
    If Chargers are in close draft position for Lawrence next year TT and Lynn need to be fired.

Leave a comment:

• Charge!
    replied

If we stay reasonably healthy next year, even with Taylor at QB, we'll likely be around a .500 team and won't come close to sniffing Lawrence or any other of the top QB prospects - which is why I am in favor of drafting a QB this year.
    exactly!...... what ivvi been saying for months......this is our best opportunity.....

Leave a comment:

• Charge!
    replied
    Teams always overdraft QBs because it's the most important position in football by a large margin. Herbert won't make it out of the top 10. He may not make it out of the top 5, depending on how scared teams are of Tua's injury history. If the Chargers want one of those two, they may have to trade up. Even if wanted to draft BPA and go for Hurts in the second round, there is no guarantee he is available at 37 as some team could take a flyer and vastly overdraft him.
    That is true....... bottom line is if your team needs a QB, like Chargers do, you have to do your homework and if there are actually one or 2 that you truly believe will be elite in NFL, then you have to do whatever it takes to get them. If they are worth it at 10 or 15, they are still worth it at 6 cause you only have one QB and they won't last till 2nd round when there are about a dozen or so teams needing a QB, odds are there will be trades and like you said teams will need to jump up above other teams to get the QB they want.......

If Chargers love Tua, they will have to jump up to 2, assuming that Burrow goes number one to CIN or whatever team trades up with CIN(MIA or NE might)........ My guess is that 3 or 4 QB's will be drafted in top 6 players...... with at least 2 trades.......

Its a QB driven game..... art always has been........ you need a great QB to make great plays against great defenses...... because perfect throw treats perfect coverage every time...... you cannot double cover everyone...... and some receivers even beat double coverage..... that is why a number of teams will be trying to trade up for the top 4 QB's......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X