POLL: Should The Bolts Trade Up For Tua?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blueman
    replied
    Simplest thing for TT, wait and see if Tua drops. If not Simmons or OT, then Hurts at 37. Gotta believe those are the two QBs TT/AL like, cuz Taylor/Stick.

Leave a comment:

• Pointyearedog
    replied
    Would I take Tua over a Hurts or that Morgan kid from FIU? Or do I make do with Taylor and pick an OL that will help shore up the turnstile?

Leave a comment:

• Kingcrimson
    replied
    Originally posted by Pointyearedog View Post
    That is a tough one. But if the first 5 picks don't land Tua, what would that be telling you as a GM or owner?
    That there are other players who have similar or equal talent without the injury risk. Of course you take the safer pick. However, there will be a point where Tua’s talent is just so much greater than everyone else left.

Leave a comment:

• Pointyearedog
    replied
    That is a tough one. But if the first 5 picks don't land Tua, what would that be telling you as a GM or owner?

Leave a comment:

• richpjr
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Again, I wouldn't draft Tua in the 1st round at all. Simply too much injury risk. At some point, later on, his risk vs reward thing will peak out, but unlike some other positions, we cannot carry 2 starting caliber QB on the roster, so Tua would have to prove at some point he can stay healthy, which he cannot behind a much more dominant line, and weaker pass rushers.

If someone wants to draft Hebert in the top 10, let them. I wouldn't, but that may just be me.

There are 3 things that factor into a players value, their injury risk, potential as a player and their production.

Hebert is a top 5 pick in terms of potential and injury risk (basically none that I am aware of). He has all the tools and if you can develop his technique, he could be one of the all time greats.

He is not a 1st round pick in terms of his production. He has some mechanical things that need cleaning up that really hurt his accuracy. His background in the offense has hurt his development, IMHO. He has many of the same issues that Marriotta had, in terms of timing and reads.
    I completely agree about Tua and his injury risk, but I still might have a hard time passing on him if he was available at 6. No way I trade up.

Leave a comment:

• chargeroo
    replied
    I wouldn't draft a QB in the first if it was up to me, but as you can see in my sig, I think the Bolts will take one. I'd try to build the team up around Tyrod for this year by drafting bpa If he fails (likely) then at least we'd have a more solid team for our new QB next year.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Again, I wouldn't draft Tua in the 1st round at all. Simply too much injury risk. At some point, later on, his risk vs reward thing will peak out, but unlike some other positions, we cannot carry 2 starting caliber QB on the roster, so Tua would have to prove at some point he can stay healthy, which he cannot behind a much more dominant line, and weaker pass rushers.

If someone wants to draft Hebert in the top 10, let them. I wouldn't, but that may just be me.

There are 3 things that factor into a players value, their injury risk, potential as a player and their production.

Hebert is a top 5 pick in terms of potential and injury risk (basically none that I am aware of). He has all the tools and if you can develop his technique, he could be one of the all time greats.

He is not a 1st round pick in terms of his production. He has some mechanical things that need cleaning up that really hurt his accuracy. His background in the offense has hurt his development, IMHO. He has many of the same issues that Marriotta had, in terms of timing and reads.

Leave a comment:

• richpjr
    replied
    The guys on PFF were discussing what it would take to move from 6 to 3 to draft Tua and their idea was the #6, #37 this year, a 3rd round next year and Desmond King.

Now way I'd do that.

Leave a comment:

• richpjr
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve View Post

I have noticed a lot analytics people use completion percentage as a proxy for accuracy, but when you watch film, you can often see receivers being forced to adjust to poorly thrown passes and then leaving a lot of yards on the field for any given play.

If we are going to trade up for Hebert, I would almost rather trade back up into the 1st (from 37), instead of trading down from 6. We can use the extra picks, but trading up gets us a top talent level guy as well. Obviously, it depends on the nuts and bolts of any deal.
    I think there is no chance Herbert makes it out of the top 10 so if we really want him, I don't think we could trade back. I'm not even convinced he'll still be there at 6.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Ha, I mentioned Herbert's accuracy and flaws in footwork and some just wanted to point to his completion %. Gotta see him play.
    He isn't as accurate as his completion % claims. But he does have good upside. Just gotta get that out of him and he needs work.

I prefer him at 37 but no way a GM lets him last that long. Will be gone by 9 to 15 if we trade down.

I have noticed a lot analytics people use completion percentage as a proxy for accuracy, but when you watch film, you can often see receivers being forced to adjust to poorly thrown passes and then leaving a lot of yards on the field for any given play.

If we are going to trade up for Hebert, I would almost rather trade back up into the 1st (from 37), instead of trading down from 6. We can use the extra picks, but trading up gets us a top talent level guy as well. Obviously, it depends on the nuts and bolts of any deal.

Leave a comment:

• like54ninjas
    replied
    Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post

Wouldn't the scouting department be part of the team?
    These pundits don’t/can’t track all the in-season stuff.....practices, post game, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Teams meet with players as PART of the selection process.

They don't decide on who they might pick, and then meet with them. It is possible that what a player says could sell a team either way. Some of those guys are probably off our draft board, or will be at some point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X