• Show
Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Justin Herbert's intelligence and knack for learning was perhaps his greatest asset coming out of Oregon.

The three-time Academic All-American leaned on his brainpower and natural curiosity to pick up the quarterback position essentially on the fly as a rookie, starting unexpectedly in Week 2 through the rest of the season and winning Offensive Rookie of the Year in the process. With a new coach now joining him with the Chargers, he'll again need to rely on his study habits to pick up another new offense in as many professional seasons.

Fortunately, he's about to play for a coach who can relate a little bit.

"He's been awesome so far," Herbert said of new Chargers coach Brandon Staley, via USA Today's Mike Jones. "He's a defensive coach, but he also played quarterback so he knows both sides of the ball, so whether I want to talk to him about offense or defense, he's got a great feel for the game."

Staley started at quarterback at the University of Dayton for two seasons and spent his final year of eligibility teaming up with his twin brother at Mercyhurst University, a combined experience he said helped him become a better defensive coach because he can explain it from the view of the offensive player.

"What being a quarterback has done is really opened up my lens, and from a defensive perspective, try and get the player to understand what he's looking at and how they're operating," Staley told the Rams' official website in February 2020. "And so, it's really meant a lot to me in my career. I would say that it's been the biggest benefit for me."

That background showed in 2020, when Staley directed the Rams' top-ranked defense -- a unit so impressive, it earned him the head job with the Rams' roommates.

He brings with him a new staff, a new offensive system and a fresh start for the Chargers, who are already lucky to have found their franchise quarterback. Now, it's up to him, Herbert and offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi to use their collective intelligence to implement, process and master the offense as a cohesive trio.

If we learned anything from Herbert's rookie campaign, it's that he shouldn't struggle much mentally. Naturally curious like the Herberts who came before him (his father and grandfather), the quarterback and former biology major explained the importance of his intellectual disposition.

"You understand why it's happening, why they're doing that, why certain teams play certain fronts, why they bring these pressures, and you get an understanding of that," Herbert told Jones. "I think the more you have of that, I think the better you are equipped to play the quarterback position. When you're up at the line of scrimmage, it needs to be so quick, it just needs to be understood immediately."

Unlike his rookie season, Herbert will likely have a better chance of getting some sort of on-field work accomplished during the offseason, meaning his reps probably won't have to be entirely mental, as they were when the COVID-19 pandemic was just beginning to take hold in the United States. But knowing Herbert's past, he'll probably get extra mental work in, too.

Should he pick things up as quickly as he did in his first season, the Chargers can hit the ground running offensively while relying on their defensive head coach to hold things down on that side of the ball. History tells us Herbert won't have an issue.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
      Justin Herbert's intelligence and knack for learning was perhaps his greatest asset coming out of Oregon.

The three-time Academic All-American leaned on his brainpower and natural curiosity to pick up the quarterback position essentially on the fly as a rookie, starting unexpectedly in Week 2 through the rest of the season and winning Offensive Rookie of the Year in the process. With a new coach now joining him with the Chargers, he'll again need to rely on his study habits to pick up another new offense in as many professional seasons.

Fortunately, he's about to play for a coach who can relate a little bit.

"He's been awesome so far," Herbert said of new Chargers coach Brandon Staley, via USA Today's Mike Jones. "He's a defensive coach, but he also played quarterback so he knows both sides of the ball, so whether I want to talk to him about offense or defense, he's got a great feel for the game."

Staley started at quarterback at the University of Dayton for two seasons and spent his final year of eligibility teaming up with his twin brother at Mercyhurst University, a combined experience he said helped him become a better defensive coach because he can explain it from the view of the offensive player.

"What being a quarterback has done is really opened up my lens, and from a defensive perspective, try and get the player to understand what he's looking at and how they're operating," Staley told the Rams' official website in February 2020. "And so, it's really meant a lot to me in my career. I would say that it's been the biggest benefit for me."

That background showed in 2020, when Staley directed the Rams' top-ranked defense -- a unit so impressive, it earned him the head job with the Rams' roommates.

He brings with him a new staff, a new offensive system and a fresh start for the Chargers, who are already lucky to have found their franchise quarterback. Now, it's up to him, Herbert and offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi to use their collective intelligence to implement, process and master the offense as a cohesive trio.

If we learned anything from Herbert's rookie campaign, it's that he shouldn't struggle much mentally. Naturally curious like the Herberts who came before him (his father and grandfather), the quarterback and former biology major explained the importance of his intellectual disposition.

"You understand why it's happening, why they're doing that, why certain teams play certain fronts, why they bring these pressures, and you get an understanding of that," Herbert told Jones. "I think the more you have of that, I think the better you are equipped to play the quarterback position. When you're up at the line of scrimmage, it needs to be so quick, it just needs to be understood immediately."

Unlike his rookie season, Herbert will likely have a better chance of getting some sort of on-field work accomplished during the offseason, meaning his reps probably won't have to be entirely mental, as they were when the COVID-19 pandemic was just beginning to take hold in the United States. But knowing Herbert's past, he'll probably get extra mental work in, too.

Should he pick things up as quickly as he did in his first season, the Chargers can hit the ground running offensively while relying on their defensive head coach to hold things down on that side of the ball. History tells us Herbert won't have an issue.
      My thoughts are to pump the brakes a bit on Herbert. I remember an article where Andy Reid tells a reporter that a QB’s second season as starter will be his toughest. I agree that Herbert is smart, but there are many smart defensive coordinators just as well who are making it a priority, particularly in the AFC West, to find patterns to exploit next season.

There were concerns about progression, accuracy, and slow reads just last season coming out of Oregon, so I am certain this will be more fully analyzed this off-season. And as smart as Herbert is, it will still take a collective effort from this Chargers staff to transition successfully to this new offensive scheme. Even if there is some initial regression, which should not be any cause for alarm, an improved OL unit and running game should help with that transition as well.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post

My thoughts are to pump the brakes a bit on Herbert. I remember an article where Andy Reid tells a reporter that a QB’s second season as starter will be his toughest. I agree that Herbert is smart, but there are many smart defensive coordinators just as well who are making it a priority, particularly in the AFC West, to find patterns to exploit next season.

There were concerns about progression, accuracy, and slow reads just last season coming out of Oregon, so I am certain this will be more fully analyzed this off-season. And as smart as Herbert is, it will still take a collective effort from this Chargers staff to transition successfully to this new offensive scheme. Even if there is some initial regression, which should not be any cause for alarm, an improved OL unit and running game should help with that transition as well.
        Thats why we need better OL and IMO a better running back to help him out and why im ok with getting one early starting from the second round. Sure a late round RB can be good but theres a reason wht they are late rounders. Ballage is an example. He did ok, but he isnt anything special at all and has no little power at his size.

He was a 4th rounder and has bounced around already.
        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
        181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
        225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Thats why we need better OL and IMO a better running back to help him out and why im ok with getting one early starting from the second round. Sure a late round RB can be good but theres a reason wht they are late rounders. Ballage is an example. He did ok, but he isnt anything special at all and has no little power at his size.

He was a 4th rounder and has bounced around already.
          I am on-board with improving the running game, but I believe an improved OL will benefit the bigger backs like JK and KB. Too often RBs would be met in their own backfield by defenders before the play had a chance to develop.
          Last edited by BoltUp InLA; 03-01-2021, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

I am on-board with improving the running game, but I believe an improved OL will benefit the bigger backs more like JK and KB. Too often RBs would be met in their own backfield by defenders before the play had a chance to develop.
            Agree, OL is a huge need to be fixed. Everybody knows that.
            Ballage is a Free Agent so doubt he will be back. He was a rental for Ekeler and JJ being hurt and then Pope got hurt again in minimul playing time.

We need a RB.
            11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
            35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
            37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
            66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
            69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
            100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
            110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
            140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
            181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
            225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Agree that coaches will spend a lot of time looking for his weaknesses and attempt to exploit them. The good new is that he got better as the year went bye, even with game tape on him and as others mention, if we improve the line and running game, that will take pressure off him to feel the need to carry the team.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Herbert 300 Yard Games.png

If someone's pumping the brakes, I'm throwing gas on the fire.

Look at the stats: Herby was tied with Dan Marino's rookie season statistically. Marino's second year was his monster, propelling the Fins to the SB. Herby's gonna have a monster.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                  Herbert 300 Yard Games.png

If someone's pumping the brakes, I'm throwing gas on the fire.

Look at the stats: Herby was tied with Dan Marino's rookie season statistically. Marino's second year was his monster, propelling the Fins to the SB. Herby's gonna have a monster.
                  I can smell more “victory brisket” in the horizon

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Marino had a better supporting cast than we do (now). Mostly the OL. His receivers also had career years, and while he didn't have a great running game around him, his RB were excellent in pass protection and as receivers, back in an era when both those skills were not as common as they are now.

The big problem is that Herbert was amazing vs pressure last year. His performance vs everything else was good, but not great. Last year, he was under pressure a lot, and that is when he made a ton of plays.

This is a problem in the sense that no elite QB have been able to reproduce great seasons vs pressure year after year. It's not an innate trait. At least it is not among other elite QB like Brees, Brady Manning .... maybe he can do what those other HOF caliber guys could not do, but it seems unlikely.

Considering we have to totally rebuild the OL, it is hard to imagine how Herbert is going to perform at a high level, unless he can repeat his performance vs pressure. Our OL was dreadful, and it is really tough to rebuild an entire line. I am sure it has been done before, but I can't think of a team who has. Frequently teams will move from the low end to high end, performance wise, but then they usually have several guys in place, and are just exploited because of inexperience.

And, as mentioned before, a QB who performs at a high/elite level one year, have not been able to repeat it. I do expect his performance vs regular situations to improve. He had some of easy throws that he missed, and some that he didn't make the right reads. And we need to find a running game to slow the other teams pass rush, but unless those areas improve dramatically, he is not going to enjoy as much success as last year.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Marino had a better supporting cast than we do (now). Mostly the OL. His receivers also had career years, and while he didn't have a great running game around him, his RB were excellent in pass protection and as receivers, back in an era when both those skills were not as common as they are now.

The big problem is that Herbert was amazing vs pressure last year. His performance vs everything else was good, but not great. Last year, he was under pressure a lot, and that is when he made a ton of plays.

This is a problem in the sense that no elite QB have been able to reproduce great seasons vs pressure year after year. It's not an innate trait. At least it is not among other elite QB like Brees, Brady Manning .... maybe he can do what those other HOF caliber guys could not do, but it seems unlikely.

Considering we have to totally rebuild the OL, it is hard to imagine how Herbert is going to perform at a high level, unless he can repeat his performance vs pressure. Our OL was dreadful, and it is really tough to rebuild an entire line. I am sure it has been done before, but I can't think of a team who has. Frequently teams will move from the low end to high end, performance wise, but then they usually have several guys in place, and are just exploited because of inexperience.

And, as mentioned before, a QB who performs at a high/elite level one year, have not been able to repeat it. I do expect his performance vs regular situations to improve. He had some of easy throws that he missed, and some that he didn't make the right reads. And we need to find a running game to slow the other teams pass rush, but unless those areas improve dramatically, he is not going to enjoy as much success as last year.
                      I'll take a second helping from Herbert from last year plus a 10 % improvement on the rest of the offense plus an improved defense puts us in the playoffs this upcoming year. Not worried at all until after free agency and the draft. Until we know what the rest of the team is going to look like we don't have to worry.
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Every rookie QB who starts in the NFL is going to be rated against what Herbert accomplished as a rookie until someone tops him. But no other rookie QB is going to start with as little off-season preparation as Herbert had ever again probably, so no rookie will ever be able to be compared accurately to Herbert. Herbert had no OTAs, no preseason games and didn't start practicing with the first team until Week 3 of the season.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Send PM

Comment

Working...
                          X