• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

If this D can close games we’ll be in good shape. Can’t wait for preseason. Just want to see how prepared Staley’s team will be on gameday.
    Just making 2nd half adjustments and getting guys through a 4th quarter will be a big help. Bradley consistently wiped out his guys by never adjusting. How many times in the 4th quarter do we need to see Bosa on his knees gasping for air? I think Staley eases the burden by making this deficient more efficient and balanced. My guess is that the fitness will also be better under Staley.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Just making 2nd half adjustments and getting guys through a 4th quarter will be a big help. Bradley consistently wiped out his guys by never adjusting. How many times in the 4th quarter do we need to see Bosa on his knees gasping for air? I think Staley eases the burden by making this deficient more efficient and balanced. My guess is that the fitness will also be better under Staley.
      Staley won’t wait for the 2nd half, much less wait until 5:00 left in the 3rd like Gus did
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

I’m wondering how much PT Herbo’s gonna get in these preseason games. Are they going to protect his health, treat him like a vet, and only let him go a few series? Or are they gonna feed him reps to get him humming with the new offense?

Tough decisions lie ahead.
        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

That is a roster issue thing. When it comes to edge players and interior defensive line players, you're going to need to have depth. You need to be 8 men deep to be successful. I posted this in the thread I did a while ago "This Team's D-line Sucks", I made that thread a day after the game against the Broncos, where we were lucky Jerry Jeudy couldn't catch. In the thread I made, I showed links to teams who were successful with their depth on D-line with the same scheme Bradley ran. 5 teams had a good formula. 3 of the teams made last years playoffs. 2 teams went to the Super Bowl in previous seasons. The problem with the team, the Chargers, was not enough pass rushers. They didn't have a good formula.

Players who play on the defensive line or rush the passer expend energy the most out of all the position groups, doing all the hitting and hustling. They are going to get gassed. They're the only ones who people complain about getting gassed. When players on the DL expend their time stopping the run, it wears them down and takes them away from their effectiveness on pass rushing. D-line is like the running back position where you have to rotate guys in and out. You need to have a good rotation. This was something Lynn and Bradley were getting away with for a while, and then it caught up to them.

Bosa's backup was Rochell. He's gone now. Rochell was slow, he didn't have the speed needed to rush the passer at the edge position. The team was lacking in pass rushers after 2 or 3 people. Bosa was forced to work more because the depth behind him wasn't all that good.

Staley and Hill is in charge now. Will the roster they fielded in the areas on the positions spoken of fix the aforementioned issues and produce better results? We'll see.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

That is a roster issue thing. When it comes to edge players and interior defensive line players, you're going to need to have depth. You need to be 8 men deep to be successful. I posted this in the thread I did a while ago "This Team's D-line Sucks", I made that thread a day after the game against the Broncos, where we were lucky Jerry Jeudy couldn't catch. In the thread I made, I showed links to teams who were successful with their depth on D-line with the same scheme Bradley ran. 5 teams had a good formula. 3 of the teams made last years playoffs. 2 teams went to the Super Bowl in previous seasons. The problem with the team, the Chargers, was not enough pass rushers. They didn't have a good formula.

Players who play on the defensive line or rush the passer expend energy the most out of all the position groups, doing all the hitting and hustling. They are going to get gassed. They're the only ones who people complain about getting gassed. When players on the DL expend their time stopping the run, it wears them down and takes them away from their effectiveness on pass rushing. D-line is like the running back position where you have to rotate guys in and out. You need to have a good rotation. This was something Lynn and Bradley were getting away with for a while, and then it caught up to them.

Bosa's backup was Rochell. He's gone now. Rochell was slow, he didn't have the speed needed to rush the passer at the edge position. The team was lacking in pass rushers after 2 or 3 people. Bosa was forced to work more because the depth behind him wasn't all that good.

Staley and Hill is in charge now. Will the roster they fielded in the areas on the positions spoken of fix the aforementioned issues and produce better results? We'll see.
            Yep...I have also been banging the table for quite some time for QUALITY DEPTH on our D-line...need to have capable pass rushers in the ROTATION so guys like Bosa won't get gassed...that's why I thought the Bolts should have tried to sign Houston...I guess they feel they have the horses...we shall see...

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...I have also been banging the table for quite some time for QUALITY DEPTH on our D-line...need to have capable pass rushers in the ROTATION so guys like Bosa won't get gassed...that's why I thought the Bolts should have tried to sign Houston...I guess they feel they have the horses...we shall see...
              I think we’ll carry 5 edge guys. Bosa, Fackrell, Nwosu, Rumph, and Egbule. And their playing time will go in that order.

I know Egbule hasn’t shown a lot yet, but he has always been more of a prototypical 3-4 edge. Not sure why we drafted him when we had Gus’ D. He never fit as a 4-3 DE or an OLB. I think he’s the type of player Staley can use.
              Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Oh, Herbert has no personality...no leadership abilities...no skills...etc.

Here he is fending off reporter questions like a pro after his rookie season!

:shifty:
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Grinners
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Not sure if this was mentioned already but with 2 more games this year Herbie breaks 5000 yards passing if he maintains his average per game...........................

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I had to put this somewhere to save it.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Then Bradley should have identified Rochell's inadequacy afer a few years and urged the signing/drafting of a replacement;
                      Instead, they kept on drafting linebackers/safeties.

Staley's first year and they go after Fackrell....who the hell is Fackrell?

He could have played Nwosu more;
                      He didn't need to be so repetitious in how the front 7 attacked Olines, so that Bosa didn't have to go through 2-3 blockers on every pass play.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

I’ll post this in here as well. But long detailed article on Herbert. Will he have a sophomore regression?

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

We stacked the best NFL quarterbacks in different areas of the game, from arm strength to field vision. Where do Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady and Lamar Jackson finish No. 1?

Comment

Working...
                          X