• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

I haven't looked at it, but at some schools, something with an emphasis in something is the same thing as a major. It is an accreditation thing sometimes. There are times where it is something different, but does it matter? The point is he was not majoring in a football factor "do this if you have trouble with school" majors.

The big thing is the kid is obviously very bright. You get the sense from his academic record. You get it from watching interviews. You get it from watching his development. He makes mistakes, he learns from them and then he really doesn't make them again.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

The five most prolific QBs in franchise history are Phillip Rivers, Dan Fouts, John Hadl, Stan Humphries and Drew Brees, in that order.

Justin Herbert, having played just 24 games, currently stands at No. 6, in terms of passing yardage (6881) and touchdowns (50). Herbert is already ahead of every other QB that has ever suited up for the Chargers.

Compared to the top 5 QBs, Herbert leads all of them in yds per game (286.7), completion percentage (66.1) and passer rating (97.6). His 5.3% TD rate is better than all of them except for Hadl, who had a 5.5% rate. But Herbert's INT% of 1.8 is significantly better than anybody in the top 5, the next best is Rivers at 2.9. Where Hebert lags behind the top 3, is yards per attempt, which is 7.3. Rivers leads everyone with 7.8. Herbert's yards per completion (11.0) is behind the top 4 and tied with Brees. (Hadl is tops at 14.8.)

Herbert's low yards per attempt and yards per completion is surprising because he probably has the strongest arm of any Chargers QB in history (except maybe Ryan Leaf?). The Lombardi offense is not helping him in either category. It's time to Free Herbert.

Comment

• Classic
        Hall Of Fame
        • Dec 2014
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        The five most prolific QBs in franchise history are Phillip Rivers, Dan Fouts, John Hadl, Stan Humphries and Drew Brees, in that order.

Justin Herbert, having played just 24 games, currently stands at No. 6, in terms of passing yardage (6881) and touchdowns (50). Herbert is already ahead of every other QB that has ever suited up for the Chargers.

Compared to the top 5 QBs, Herbert leads all of them in yds per game (286.7), completion percentage (66.1) and passer rating (97.6). His 5.3% TD rate is better than all of them except for Hadl, who had a 5.5% rate. But Herbert's INT% of 1.8 is significantly better than anybody in the top 5, the next best is Rivers at 2.9. Where Hebert lags behind the top 3, is yards per attempt, which is 7.3. Rivers leads everyone with 7.8. Herbert's yards per completion (11.0) is behind the top 4 and tied with Brees. (Hadl is tops at 14.8.)

Herbert's low yards per attempt and yards per completion is surprising because he probably has the strongest arm of any Chargers QB in history (except maybe Ryan Leaf?). The Lombardi offense is not helping him in either category. It's time to Free Herbert.
        So long as he avoids injury and has a ton of good luck, he'll end up being our GOAT.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
          The Precious
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

Bump.

He’s not bad. :larry:

Comment

• FoutsFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Birmingham AL
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post
            Bump.

He’s not bad. :larry:
            Flyfisher the Raider fan says the league figured him out and shut him down. Since the Steelers shut him down tonight, I am looking forward to seeing him after he figures the league out.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Last week, Justin Jefferson was the best player on the field. Today, Justin Herbert was best player on the field.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                The Precious
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Flyfisher the Raider fan says the league figured him out and shut him down. Since the Steelers shut him down tonight, I am looking forward to seeing him after he figures the league out.
                Raiders sure haven’t figured him out meh whatever. He was running around like crazy tonight and firing lasers all over the place. He may be quiet or whatever but he fights and the competitor is there. We are very fortunate and the shit is entertaining as heck.

Go Deep Justin! :larry:

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post

Raiders sure haven’t figured him out meh whatever. He was running around like crazy tonight and firing lasers all over the place. He may be quiet or whatever but he fights and the competitor is there. We are very fortunate and the shit is entertaining as heck.

Go Deep Justin! :larry:
                  He had an amazing game tonight. Like a once in a century game. He was the first QB to ever throw over 380 and run for 90 or more in the history of the league. If he was not plagued again by drops tonight he easily would have gone over 400 yards passing.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Irmo, SC
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

He had an amazing game tonight. Like a once in a century game. He was the first QB to ever throw over 380 and run for 90 or more in the history of the league. If he was not plagued again by drops tonight he easily would have gone over 400 yards passing.
                    Very "decent". Lol! Damn.

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

For the life of me I still don't get why some people get on Herbert's case...in his SECOND year in the league, already doing the things he's doing.

I don't care how THIS year turns out. We have our franchise QB and franchise LT. And likely, finally, a good HC. We will be in the mix for a long time to come. And in today's NFL, that's all you can ask for.

Imagine being a Lions or Jets fan in 2021. LOL.
                      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                        For the life of me I still don't get why some people get on Herbert's case...in his SECOND year in the league, already doing the things he's doing.

I don't care how THIS year turns out. We have our franchise QB and franchise LT. And likely, finally, a good HC. We will be in the mix for a long time to come. And in today's NFL, that's all you can ask for.

Imagine being a Lions or Jets fan in 2021. LOL.
                        I still struggle with people complaining about this year. He is averaging more passing yards per game, has a higher yards per pass attempt, and has more TDs passing per game than last year. His QB rating and QBR ratings are higher than last year. He did have a few off games but geez, the guy is already a top 10 QB in the league and is only going to get better as he and the rest of the O get more familiar with the offense.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Irmo, SC
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I still struggle with people complaining about this year. He is averaging more passing yards per game, has a higher yards per pass attempt, and has more TDs passing per game than last year. His QB rating and QBR ratings are higher than last year. He did have a few off games but geez, the guy is already a top 10 QB in the league and is only going to get better as he and the rest of the O get more familiar with the offense.
                          I do not understand that either. We are second in the league in dropped passes and that's just the official stat. There are several others that they didn't consider drops that should have been caught. I think he has three interceptions off of batted balls. Most of his incompletions are throwaways to keep from getting sacked or thrown in a spot where either his guy gets it or nobody gets it. I have seen very few bad passes. And now, they have given him the green light to take off when he sees an opening. Defenses are going to have to start taking that into account which is only going to open up the receivers even more.

Comment

Working...
                          X