• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Yep, agree on all points. Lynn lost me when he blatantly showed irritation that Herbert was playing so well. He was so rigidly invested in his run and gun offense with Tyrod running the show, that he couldn't see past that to recognize his rookie QB was a generational talent, which was obvious to the entire NFL universe from coast to coast. Lynn seemed to be the only person on the planet (besides Tyrod and his peeps maybe) to resist the idea of how good Herb was right from the moment he took the field in 2020. "He's a backup for a reason." Just a refresher on how mind bogglingly ridiculous that statement was to everybody in the NFL after watching Herb in his first game.

Brandon Staley has his faults, but it's fair to say that we've upgraded our head coach SIGNIFICANTLY! As in Taylor vs Herbert significant! To me Staley's on a bit of a hot seat now that he's clearly got the guys he wants - particularly on defense. Time to show us how good you are coach.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Brandon Staley has his faults, but it's fair to say that we've upgraded our head coach SIGNIFICANTLY! As in Taylor vs Herbert significant! To me Staley's on a bit of a hot seat now that he's clearly got the guys he wants - particularly on defense. Time to show us how good you are coach.
      Again, I totally agree. Staley has remade the defense in his image, and now it has to perform. No excuses. But I think he will succeed.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Again, I totally agree. Staley has remade the defense in his image, and now it has to perform. No excuses. But I think he will succeed.
        Knowing the little bit about his personality from interviews and articles, and his previous successful track record, I'm 100% positive that he was dying inside last season. I'm actually impressed that he maintained his composure and didn't just lose it at some point (that we know of anyway). Lots of personal discipline exhibited not to publicly blow his own people up when they failed (repeatedly). I've said it before but the way he acts reminds me of Bill Belichick's approach - everything in the public is about the team in general (WE did not play well) and the coaching staff in particular (I did not coach well). Who knows what really happens behind the scenes, but it can't be all that bad since players continue to want to play for both of them.

If Brandon Staley's not successful this year it will NOT be for lack of trying.

Comment

• equivocation
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2021
          • Send PM

I think he is also adjusting scheme to changes in offensive scheme; we'rr seeing personnel changes to go to more man coverage or MOD coverage. It means he has more of a phiosophy than a system and can adjust/abandon things that don't work. It speaks well to potential durability if he can get over the initial hump.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
            I think he is also adjusting scheme to changes in offensive scheme; we'rr seeing personnel changes to go to more man coverage or MOD coverage. It means he has more of a phiosophy than a system and can adjust/abandon things that don't work. It speaks well to potential durability if he can get over the initial hump.
            Staley's entire mode of operation is flexibility and versatility. Hopefully this applies to his beliefs and philosophies in addition to his players.

Comment

• perryao
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I had Lawrence as the best QB prospect since at least John Elway and he did underperform and was also adversely impacted by a bad situation in Jacksonville with a team with no talent and a dysfunctional coaching staff.

He still has more potential than any of the QBs from the 2021 draft class, but it is unrealized potential so far. He is really going to have to improve to get to where Herbert is as Herbert is miles ahead of him.
              You's have been reaching then as the consensus would've had Manning going #1 over Lawrence.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by perryao View Post

You's have been reaching then as the consensus would've had Manning going #1 over Lawrence.
                Don't poke the bear!!! Do you have a death wish???:killme:

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Drinking the Koolaid with Chris Simms...makes Prisco's analysis antiquated....

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

I appreciate Simms' praise, and think he's being objective, but still under valuing Herbert's leadership.
                    and over rating Burrow.
                    His partner had to remind Simms about the 4th down pressure conversions.
                    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                      I appreciate Simms' praise, and think he's being objective, but still under valuing Herbert's leadership.
                      and over rating Burrow.
                      His partner had to remind Simms about the 4th down pressure conversions.
                      Agree and most who say that about Herbert do not know him and been around him to see how he leads.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

The goal is to have a Brees/Rivers brain but with Herbert's physical and arm talent. Keep in mind that Herbert is doing this at a point when Rivers was on the bench and Brees was regressing bad.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

The big thing was Herbert going from being mostly a guy who excelled under pressure (as a rookie) to then being a guy who excelled under pressure, but he really wasn't that spatial on schedule. There were a lot of times in his on-schedule plays he struggled with some accuracy or timing. He cleaned that up really well his last year.

I agree with Simms, that if Herbert was a little bit more "creative" extending plays or scrambling, then I think he could put more pressure on the D. He already puts a ton of pressure on a D with his arm, but outside of Pitt, he really didn't scramble or extend plays that much last year. It happens, just not enough to make teams defend him differently.

Comment

Working...
                          X