Clear All
  • Bearded14YourPleasure
    Fluent in Sarcasm
    • Jun 2013
    • Iowa
    • Man of the People
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

You didn't read my comment very well, because I stated what the article said accurately. I said it may become a precedent, and you know as well as I do that if Watson got a fully guaranteed contract the agents for Burrow and Herbert are going to demand the same. You know as well as I do, once a precedent has been breached, there is no going back.

However, I do agree with you that if teams like the Bengals and Chargers can't afford to keep their stars because they can't maintain that much money in an escrow account, the NFL will step in and fix it, because, as you say, the parity structure of the salary cap will be broken.
    Kirk Cousins got a fully guaranteed deal in 2018 with the Vikings, 84M over 3 years. So the precedent for fully guaranteed QB contracts has been out there for 4 years. The numbers are different sure, but the precedent has been there. Since then we’ve seen QB contracts for guys like Mahomes, Allen, and Dak come up and as the article states those guarantee numbers aren’t even reaching 50%. At a guess I’d say the Browns panicked when Watson said he wasn’t going to be picking them and they changed their contract offer to fully guaranteed in a, successful, attempt to get him to change his mind.

Comment

• HollywoodHerbie Hairbear
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2021
      • Send PM

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Kirk Cousins got a fully guaranteed deal in 2018 with the Vikings, 84M over 3 years. So the precedent for fully guaranteed QB contracts has been out there for 4 years. The numbers are different sure, but the precedent has been there. Since then we’ve seen QB contracts for guys like Mahomes, Allen, and Dak come up and as the article states those guarantee numbers aren’t even reaching 50%. At a guess I’d say the Browns panicked when Watson said he wasn’t going to be picking them and they changed their contract offer to fully guaranteed in a, successful, attempt to get him to change his mind.
        Do you think the agents for Burrow and Herbert are going to demand fully guaranteed contracts when negotiations start next year?

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

Do you think the agents for Burrow and Herbert are going to demand fully guaranteed contracts when negotiations start next year?
          Demand as in give it to my client or all negotiating is immediately cut off? No. Ask for it, as I’m sure every single agent does so they can maximize how much money is made? Sure. The fact of the matter is that the Watson contract did NOT establish a new precedent and that top QBs have signed non-fully guaranteed contracts (or even 50% guaranteed) since the precedent was established. If I’m those guys I’m looking more for Mahomes money than I am Watson money.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Demand as in give it to my client or all negotiating is immediately cut off? No. Ask for it, as I’m sure every single agent does so they can maximize how much money is made? Sure. The fact of the matter is that the Watson contract did NOT establish a new precedent and that top QBs have signed non-fully guaranteed contracts (or even 50% guaranteed) since the precedent was established. If I’m those guys I’m looking more for Mahomes money than I am Watson money.

JC Tretter challenges agents to follow Deshaun Watson contract with more guaranteed deals

Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2022, 2:15 PM EDT
            Find all of the latest ProFootballTalk news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Last month, the Browns crossed a major threshold in NFL contracts by giving quarterback Deshaun Watson a five-year, $230 million, fully-guaranteed contract. NFL Players Association president JC Tretter wants that deal to be the first of many, or at least more.
            He points out that the original Kirk Cousins contract with the Vikings (fully guaranteed for three years) created hope that “other top free agents — especially QBs who were negotiating immediately after Cousins — would demand the same.”
            That said, the chances of widespread fully-guaranteed contracts remain slim. At a minimum, the contracts would become shorter and shorter in duration. On a four- or five-year deal, there’s a chance the player eventually will be burning up cap space without earning it. That keeps money from the players who are.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Carr only got $24.9 mil guaranteed in his new 3-year $121.5 mill contract. So maybe there won't be pressure to make Herbert's next contract fully guaranteed. I don't know.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                Charger Fan till the end
                • Jun 2013
                • North Carolina
                • Send PM

So is that essentially a 1 year deal for Carr? Could be cut and little dead cap space?

i can see a long deal for Herbie just to commit to 6-10 years but give flex when needed to sign players to win. Being greedy bites you in the ass frankly….count out keeping a good team together with 25%+ going to qbs. Its just too hard.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Utah
                  • Midnight Toker
                  • Send PM

I like this breakdown from Peyton for those that haven't seen it.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
                    I like this breakdown from Peyton for those that haven't seen it.
                    Peyton doesn't like Herbert faking a handoff on the fade play to the corner of the end zone.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Peyton doesn't like Herbert faking a handoff on the fade play to the corner of the end zone.
                      Nope, he said if you are doing that the WR should be running a slant because the fake brings in the LBs. Someone was on the wrong page on that play.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

The Browns really screwed shit up with that stupid deal to Watson. Just a badly run organization.

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

The Browns really screwed shit up with that stupid deal to Watson. Just a badly run organization.
                          It was desperation. They screwed up with Mayfield then got rejected by Watson. They were looking at being left all alone on prom night so the "I'll do whatever you want!" strategy kicked in.

Comment

Working...
                          X