Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
      Didn't the 2nd half start off 27-7...?
      People have been forgetting the actual score at halftime since the last whistle blew as their FG sailed thru the uprights. They’ve had a zero points in the first half ever since lol. Over half of this forum talks about a 27 point halftime lead.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Doubt it would have mattered. Jags were in the red zone and killed it to kick the game winning fg. Does anyone believe we would have stopped them from getting in the end zone if they needed it?
        I do

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BearWithJetpack View Post
          These quarterback contracts are getting to be absolutely brutal against the cap. It's detrimental to the team to have so much tied into one player when you have an entire team to pay. Brady was well known for taking discounts in order to get more talent around himself, and he was rewarded with Super Bowls, and the Super Bowl victories rewarded him with further renown and opportunity to bring in money for his entire life.

​​​​​I get that you give big money to the QB with the expectation of the cap increasing in coming years. But these contracts are lunacy.
          Do we need a separate 'cap' just for QB's?? Or some kind of luxury tax like MLB & NBA? IMO NFL rosters should also be expanded to 60 active players + PS.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BearWithJetpack View Post
            These quarterback contracts are getting to be absolutely brutal against the cap. It's detrimental to the team to have so much tied into one player when you have an entire team to pay. Brady was well known for taking discounts in order to get more talent around himself, and he was rewarded with Super Bowls, and the Super Bowl victories rewarded him with further renown and opportunity to bring in money for his entire life.

​​​​​I get that you give big money to the QB with the expectation of the cap increasing in coming years. But these contracts are lunacy.
            It’s a passing league now. The last SB winner without a big time QB was quite a while ago, if you want a trophy it’s money we’ll spent.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

It’s a passing league now. The last SB winner without a big time QB was quite a while ago, if you want a trophy it’s money we’ll spent.
              I wonder how much resentment the huge contracts for QBs are going to get by their teammates as they take up a bigger and bigger part of the cap, while mid-level vets get cut or take low salaries.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I wonder how much resentment the huge contracts for QBs are going to get by their teammates as they take up a bigger and bigger part of the cap, while mid-level vets get cut or take low salaries.
                You’d think it’s way past the point of relativity on that question. If they were going to resent their QB for their pay, they already would. 53 players/$230M Cap is about $4M/per. I expect more players resent the Bosas and James and Williams as those are guys are just playing positions like the kids making league min. If they don’t play well or are hurt a lot, thats huge dollars sucked from the player pool. QBs are at least QBs - there’s only 1 and there’s a reason there.

I do think it’s a problem in a team cap constrained world to have unlimited salary for QBs. But putting a cap, say - what, $30M/anual? $35M? That would just create new problems How many of the 32 QBS would hit that level and all be paid the same? 16? 20? 25? Idunno.

No easy fix to mankind, i fear…

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

You’d think it’s way past the point of relativity on that question. If they were going to resent their QB for their pay, they already would. 53 players/$230M Cap is about $4M/per. I expect more players resent the Bosas and James and Williams as those are guys are just playing positions like the kids making league min. If they don’t play well or are hurt a lot, thats huge dollars sucked from the player pool. QBs are at least QBs - there’s only 1 and there’s a reason there.

I do think it’s a problem in a team cap constrained world to have unlimited salary for QBs. But putting a cap, say - what, $30M/anual? $35M? That would just create new problems How many of the 32 QBS would hit that level and all be paid the same? 16? 20? 25? Idunno.

No easy fix to mankind, i fear…
                  A truly elite QB can overcome a large number of team deficiencies . . . . so they're worth the extra jack (up to a point). I agree that the % of the cap that they take up is a problem, but, like you I don't see a remedy. There's a BIG gap between the haves and the have nots (relatively speaking) in the NFL these days. Sooner or later this is going to cause issues . . . .

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Well the reason the Chargers are in the cap shape they are in as Telesco has not drafted well... As for cutting players, the Saints have proved you can manipulate the hell out of the cap if you have the cash and are willing to do work with the cap.
                    true.....

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

A salary cap for QB ?

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

A truly elite QB can overcome a large number of team deficiencies . . . . so they're worth the extra jack (up to a point). I agree that the % of the cap that they take up is a problem, but, like you I don't see a remedy. There's a BIG gap between the haves and the have nots (relatively speaking) in the NFL these days. Sooner or later this is going to cause issues . . . .
                        The QB is by far the most important position on the team (see the 49ers playoff loss for the latest example). But the escalating QB salaries are going to start costing more and more mid-level vets to get cut or settle for contracts near the vet minimum. I wonder what a veteran player making about a million a year thinks when his QB makes 50 times as much as him each season. With the egos most players have, I can see some growing resentment.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The QB is by far the most important position on the team (see the 49ers playoff loss for the latest example). But the escalating QB salaries are going to start costing more and more mid-level vets to get cut or settle for contracts near the vet minimum. I wonder what a veteran player making about a million a year thinks when his QB makes 50 times as much as him each season. With the egos most players have, I can see some growing resentment.
                          No doubt. I think it also depends on the guy. There’s probably nobody on the Chiefs who resents Mahomes salary because he has delivered. But if you’re a qb making that money and your team isn’t getting those results it’s going to be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X