• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I have seen him compared to both Josh Allen and Carson Wentz -- so pretty good comps

Just have to hope he learns, progresses and is a good solid NFL QB. If he is better than that - a bonus!
    I get the Josh Allen comparison based on physical measures, but I really hope he turns out better than him.

I'm starting to warm up to him....smart kid, cannon arm, decent mobility.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Duck fan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2020
      • Send PM

My thoughts on Herberts accuracy as a long time Duck fan. Herbert does miss targets at times, like all QB’s, but his college career was a complete cluster so I think he did well. I posted this on a Ducks board about a year ago regarding his low stats his Junior year;

“ From Oregon's website, he was actually 240-404 throwing, which means those 52 drops accounted for 12.9% of all his passes. Of his 164 incompletions on the season, 31.7% were due to drops.”

those were actual dropped passes by his receivers recorded as drops by Oregon coaching staff, 52 drops out of 404 attempts his junior year. Some of the media, who also was in the vast group that really did not watch him just went off numbers, did not realize during his last two years he had pretty much crap receivers. Again he did miss passes, but his receivers also quit on routes or ran the wrong route so Justin put the ball where they were supposed to be..... that looks like it is on the QB. The Ducks changed the WR coach three times during Herberts career.

during Heberts freshman year the Ducks were a mess under Helfrich, it came out there was a lot of fighting amongst the long time coaches and very little communication between coaches. Most of the coaching staff had been there nearly 20 years and some were pissed at hiring Don Pellum as the New DC after the Brady Hoke fiasco. Ducks went 4-8, Helfrich was fried. Enter Slick Willie, what a joke but he brought in a completely new offense for all to learn then jumped ship for FSU before the end of the first season..... most know how Florida St fans loved him, lol. Slick Willie did bring in Cristabol which is a great thing but Cristabol is a smash mouth SEC style football coach, ex offensive lineman. Again new offense for Justin last two seasons and Cristabol is a pound it up the middle offense. He did not really incorporate Justin as a dual threat QB until the last two games, Utah and Wisconsin. Much of that was because his backups were young with little experience much of it was because of our terrible play calling by our OC..... who was just fired, lol, good move by the Ducks!

my view on Herbert as a long time Duck fan, since the Chris Miller days in the mid 80’s..... I will ride the coattails of fouts though, lol. Looking forward to watching the bolts....with luck.

Comment

• electricgold
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Scoregon View Post

Yeah, the opinions of the amateur psychologist you were responding to, don't match up with what I observed watching him every game for four seasons. There were certainly plays where he took a sack you wish he wouldn't have taken (like most any quarterback has), but the folding in the face of pressure/blitzing thing is either just made up or is completely ignoring his senior season. Here is a quote from a SI article:

Going inside the numbers, his 102.2 passer rating vs. the blitz was a 45-point improvement over his junior campaign. He was efficient against pressure, man and zone.

There is also a stat out there that his TD to INT ratio versus blitz as a senior was 11-0. Anyway, not here to claim he doesn't have work to do, but that post you were responding to didn't match up with what I've observed.
        Here's a good one.... Herbert had better stats as a college QB than Mahomes did....

Comment

• BearWithJetpack
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post
          Nice to see the whiny little bitches are still shedding tears over this move.:whistlin:
          Good to see the smug "real fans" are still feeling good about themselves.

Whiny little bitches.. really?

Comment

• pacstud
            Black Belt Poster
            • Sep 2018
            • Send PM

It's fair to be skeptical of any pick...ever. QB, even moreso.

I am going to watch film after the fact, as I am bored.

I watched one and a half Oregon games this year and am very skeptical of Herbert's ability as a pro QB.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              Pretty much retired......
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

Just watch the tape here buddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA5g4v9hjMQ

It's all in there. He misses throws because he doesn't see guys. He overthrows guys wide open by 10 yards because he gets too amped up.

Rivers makes mistakes for entirely different reasons. He literally doesn't care if he makes a mistake. Guys like Trubisky and Alex Smith make mistakes because they're trying so hard not to make mistakes.
              So are we comparing a college senior Rivers to a college senior Herbert or what? Comparing Herbert fresh off the campus to Rivers NFL developed gunslinger mentality is a bit ludicrous IMHO at this point. All QB's miss guys and overthrow guys......shit happens......but to tell us you have his head all figured out is a bit of a reach.........

my 2 centavos

Comment

• Scoregon
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                For those who are Oregon fans or those who have looked at Herbert a lot, can you please comment on his accuracy down field, and anticipation? I don't pay as much attention to the Pac-12, so I haven't seen any of his games. His measurables and intelligence are great positives, but the only thing I know may be an issue is the most important factor to me is accuracy. If his receivers ran loose routes, that might be a mitigation.
                My take is that he throws the ball really well down the field overall, particularly to the outside. When he misses downfield, it's almost always overthrows. I'd guess some of this is him trying to be too perfect with the throws and missing. One possible partial explanation for this (I'm very much speculating now) would be that for most of his career, he never had a receiver who could win a 50/50 ball, so knew it had to be where the defender had no shot. The positive is that he rarely had downfield interceptions, but he'll have to adjust to trusting his receivers more when he's throwing to a guy like Mike Williams. One last thing, along these lines, is that he improved his back shoulder throws down the field a ton as a senior, which allowed him to throw covered guys open more often.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                  Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                  • Send PM

It may not be a popular opinion but I suspect there was some dissent within coaching staff on taking QB at 6. I think moving up for Murray was to pacify some of it. Just a feeling I have but it seems plausible. Spanos/front office push for QB, coaches wanted Simmons

Comment

• electricgold
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
                    It may not be a popular opinion but I suspect there was some dissent within coaching staff on taking QB at 6. I think moving up for Murray was to pacify some of it. Just a feeling I have but it seems plausible. Spanos/front office push for QB, coaches wanted Simmons
                    Translated, AL is riding with Tyrod! AL is a conservative coach, he wants a QB like Alex Smith, who won't lose games and take teams out of games like Phil Rivers did. We'll see if this works out! Tyrod has already said, get ready for what you have disrespected. Again, it's going to be a GREAT SEASON, if we have a season!?

PS I could see a HC like Jim Harbaugh say, give me Justin Herbert at QB and I'll WIN a SUPERBOWL! See where we are going with this! Heck Tyrod could be our new franchise QB and Lynn could be our HC here for the next 10 years?

Comment

• EnglishBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • UK
                      • Send PM

I was a bit underwhelmed at the time, especially when we passed up on Simmons; however, I think that by getting Murray and not giving up too much in the process I feel a lot better by it all. Trust the process.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                        Day One...
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Brentwood, 94513
                        • Send PM

Just as I was ready to ride with Taylor as our qb, I'm okay with the Herbert pick. The constant whine from some ppl will continue, cause that's what whiners do. As annoying as that might get, it allows us different views and realize how much we don't value some post as much as others. I hate this saying but, Bolt gang or don't bang.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

I liked Herbert's mechanics his sophomore year. He was also more accurate.
                          I'm wondering if the new coaching staff changed it - his set & throwing motion doesn't look as natural.
                          Telesco said he got great coaching at Oregon; but no head coach wants to piss off a college
                          coaching program.

I remember how everyone wanted to change Rivers mechanics.

Comment

Working...
                          X