• Show
Clear All
  • captaind
    Cook This Pork Chops
    • Jun 2013
    • Mars
    • Ball Holder
    • Send PM

I had already watched film on this guy before yesterday, and I watched even more last night. And I'm by no means an expert. But shit, guys, there's no way he sees the field this year. While he has great arm strength and makes a lot of plays with his legs, it tends to mask the fact that his mechanics are awful and inconsistent, and he looks down his first read straight from the snap. If it's not there, it's incomplete almost every time.

Whoever our QB coach is will have his hands full. Not saying he can't do it, but this guy needs a ton of work. Any other position and he would have been a 4th or 5th round pick.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
      His problems aren't related to mechanics, coaching, or anything correctable. He plays too conscientious/scared and that slows down his processing and causes adrenaline to totally screw up everything about him, from his reads to his accuracy. He's really one of those guys that is too smart for his own good, and his personality type allows that to have a very large influence on how he plays.

HIS SUCCESS OR FAILURE WILL HAVE MORE TO DO WITH HIS PSYCHOLOGICAL STATE THAN ANYTHING ELSE.

Get him pissed off and he will have moments where he can be a really good QB. It's all upstairs with him.

That will be the absolute key. Chargers need to do everything in their power to elevate his confidence, but confidence can really only be gained thru experience.
      I very much agree with that. I so much agree with you! And the getting him pissed off part I'm assuming is about hoping that Herbert can let go of his own worst enemy - his head - while playing. Because he has the tools to be very good. I wonder if he doesn't have ADD issues. I'm hoping he does since it can be effectively treated nowadays.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Tom Brady makes mistakes. You make it seem like Herbert didn't complete a pass last season, other than the dump off variety.
        Chargers looked at his good tape and figure they can make certain corrections.

He takes to coaching well and can always scramble his way out of some difficulties his first few years - just like Steve McNair.
        Telesco says he holds toughness and leadership as essential values for qb play. I imagine he was satisfied with Herbert in that category.

Every young qb can flop put in a bad situation.
        Its not the end of the world I said I'd compare him to Josh Allen. Allen has been a weapon at times and took his team to the playoffs and nearly won a playoff game. You can win with a QB like that. Put him in the spread and let him scramble around, run it, chuck it, and play good defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by captaind View Post
          I had already watched film on this guy before yesterday, and I watched even more last night. And I'm by no means an expert. But shit, guys, there's no way he sees the field this year. While he has great arm strength and makes a lot of plays with his legs, it tends to mask the fact that his mechanics are awful and inconsistent, and he looks down his first read straight from the snap. If it's not there, it's incomplete almost every time.

Whoever our QB coach is will have his hands full. Not saying he can't do it, but this guy needs a ton of work. Any other position and he would have been a 4th or 5th round pick.
          Okay, I did not want us to take any QB at #6 overall, but IMO your take on Herbert is way too harsh. In the long run, I would rather have him than either Burow, Tagovailoa or Love. For being so inaccurate and supposedly throwing so many incompletions, the guy's stats were pretty solid. His 2018 completion percentage was low, but 52 dropped passes will make that happen.

Herbert was the best player at the Senior Bowl and had a fantastic NFL Combine to go along with with his very solid seasons at Oregon. His upside and accomplishments make him worthy of a first round pick. I just wish that that first round pick was not #6 overall. I would not have taken either Burrow, Tagovailoa or Love with a first round pick as I see them as riskier propositions than Herbert. I think there is a good chance that we will end up having taken the best of four first round QBs when all of their careers are over.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Scoregon View Post
            For there critic who values the opinion of random ex-NFL quarterbacks. Here is Chris Sims' top 5 quarterbacks and, spoiler alert, Hebert is #2:
            Simms was spot on with Lamar Jackson
            it’s really exciting to have a qb upside
            we need to hire Simms as our qb coach
            although he probably makes more money doing these videos
            P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
            P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
            P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
            P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

No not so much hero ball. You're more likely to see him tuck & run under pressure. He is totally opposite Rivers with regards to psychological makeup. Herbert just won't see the field. Like Alex Smith or Josh Allen or Trubisky. Those are all athletic 1 read QBs. They have all the physical tools but under pressure they just don't see the field, they feel phantom pressure, and adrenaline really affects their accuracy. Adrenaline does not really affect QBs like Rivers, Manning, Mahomes, Brady, etc. They're like psychopaths in that sense. You will see guys like Trubisky and Allen scramble out of the pocket and overthrow a wide open guy by 15 yards on a pass they would complete 100 out of 100 in practice. That sorta thing.

Basically I'd just assume you have Josh Allen at QB. Big arm, physical scrambler, inconsistent vision, inconsistent accuracy.

I'm glad you've posted here. You've nailed what's happening with Herbert. It's very much related to - if not exactly like - playing from panic. That seems to be Herberts mind set on the field. My hope is our Coaches recognize this and pull Herbert out of his mindset somehow and let his physical ability reign on the field. He really needs to learn how to play from a more relaxed mindset. Then he'll be less guarded and less prone to sabotaging himself. There's so much physical ability there. Damn! I'm rooting for our Coaches!!!

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Okay, I did not want us to take any QB at #6 overall, but IMO your take on Herbert is way too harsh. In the long run, I would rather have him than either Burow, Tagovailoa or Love. For being so inaccurate and supposedly throwing so many incompletions, the guy's stats were pretty solid. His 2018 completion percentage was low, but 52 dropped passes will make that happen.

Herbert was the best player at the Senior Bowl and had a fantastic NFL Combine to go along with with his very solid seasons at Oregon. His upside and accomplishments make him worthy of a first round pick. I just wish that that first round pick was not #6 overall. I would not have taken either Burrow, Tagovailoa or Love with a first round pick as I see them as riskier propositions than Herbert. I think there is a good chance that we will end up having taken the best of four first round QBs when all of their careers are over.
                1/3 of his incompletions for 2019 were drops as well
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                  Day One...
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Brentwood, 94513
                  • Send PM

He has all the tools you want in a qb. And when the players at the Senior Bowl voted him MVP, that's a good thing. All players need coaching. Why do ppl already see him as a bust when he has yet to take one snap? A four year college qb, that's rare. Plus he is smart. Arm chair qb claiming they see things that real qb can't see, crack me up.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Simms was spot on with Lamar Jackson
                    it’s really exciting to have a qb upside
                    we need to hire Simms as our qb coach
                    although he probably makes more money doing these videos
                    Certainly less time consuming than being an NFL coach.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

A lot of people said Mahomes was a wild guy. Made crazy plays, couldn't play within his self and a lot of KC fans were unhappy when they picked him. Give him and our coaching staff a year in the system and then let's see what we got.

I did not want them to draft him or any QB at six but they did so I say let's all hope for the best and quit criticizing him - like we all know more about picking a QB. We aren't all QB gurus.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                        A lot of people said Mahomes was a wild guy. Made crazy plays, couldn't play within his self and a lot of KC fans were unhappy when they picked him. Give him and our coaching staff a year in the system and then let's see what we got.

I did not want them to draft him or any QB at six but they did so I say let's all hope for the best and quit criticizing him - like we all know more about picking a QB. We aren't all QB gurus.
                        Stil is but in a really goooooood Way! LOL! Given how insanely competitive our division is I'm thinking we're almost always going to have two playoff teams come from our division for the next ten years.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

1/3 of his incompletions for 2019 were drops as well
                          how many of those were "too hot to handle ?"
                          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

Working...
                          X