• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

I'll just put this here and let all my bros and sis read between the lines.

Before the draft Michael Irvin said the Chargers MUST draft a QB, even with Tyrod on board.
    His thinking is that we cannot allow ourselves to go from PR to Tyrod + no backup plan. No. Never. Not gonna do that.

I am at peace now with Herbert/Murray no #71, over Simmons/Love no #71.
    And #71 could have been Josh Jones to keep the Trenchers happy.

Earlier today, I caught myself.
    I have to stop calling the Golden Dome haters and Trenchers whiney bitches.
    We all brought it this draft season.
    There is tremendous value in diversity.
    Diversity of opinion.
    Diversity of ethnicity.
    Peace. Out.

Wait...did you see our Fullbacks ?
    We've got Jim Nabors and Holly from Farmerville Louisiana.
    Salt and Peppa.
    AL. TT
    We got this.
    That's all I got.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Budsman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

/sigh

Really? I mean come on now. It was not racist, you know it! And citing NPR hurts your case, it does not help it.

Learn the full meaning of the English idiom 'call a spade a spade' and get examples of use in sentences as well as the full meaning of this expression. See related idioms cross-referenced by theme or word. Idioms.Online is your free idioms dictionary.

Don't underestimate the cumulative effect of bullying through weaponised language. It can have devastating outcomes.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Lets move on. Ill deal with this privately. This is a Herbert thread. Dont make me close it.

Comment

• Budsman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
          I'll just put this here and let all my bros and sis read between the lines.

Before the draft Michael Irvin said the Chargers MUST draft a QB, even with Tyrod on board.
          His thinking is that we cannot allow ourselves to go from PR to Tyrod + no backup plan. No. Never. Not gonna do that.

I am at peace now with Herbert/Murray no #71, over Simmons/Love no #71.
          And #71 could have been Josh Jones to keep the Trenchers happy.

Earlier today, I caught myself.
          I have to stop calling the Golden Dome haters and Trenchers whiney bitches.
          We all brought it this draft season.
          There is tremendous value in diversity.
          Diversity of opinion.
          Diversity of ethnicity.
          Peace. Out.

Wait...did you see our Fullbacks ?
          We've got Jim Nabors and Holly from Farmerville Louisiana.
          Salt and Peppa.
          AL. TT
          We got this.
          That's all I got.
          I’m not sure if I get what your saying but I appreciate the eccentric way you do it. I’m at peace with our draft too, I don’t love Herbert but here is hoping I’m wrong but it was obviously a possibility. I hope he doesn’t play this year because Tyrod goes all drew Bree’s and becomes a gunslinger vs game manager.

Comment

• Budsman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            Lets move on. Ill deal with this privately. This is a Herbert thread. Dont make me close it.
            You got it, i trust you will own this.

Comment

• SuperCharged
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Utah
              • Midnight Toker
              • Send PM

To proclaim "spade a spade" racist is seriously hilarious. Wow.

Comment

• Budsman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Paradoxrip View Post
                To proclaim "spade a spade" racist is seriously hilarious. Wow.
                Fleet wants us to focus on Herbert. I would be glad to explain why some folks believe it is via pm if you want to chat.

Herbert has a good personality and seems smart. If he keeps a level head it will definitely raise his floor.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Hebert is going to have to learn to run plays from under center, because there is where you develop footwork. Even if you take the snap from the C in the shotgun, or pistol, you still have to get your body into position to throw. Hebert has poor timing on many throws because his footwork SUCKS. Actually, more inconsistent than sucks, but it is not where it needs to be.

Want to see good footwork, watch Burrows and Tua. They take their drops, and their bodies are ready to get the ball out.

Hebert is still shifting around in the pocket, then the ball comes out off schedule, because his body has to shift around to get it to go where he wants. And this is in a college game, where he really isn't getting pressured like he will be in the NFL. Everything will happen faster and he will have less time to think than he did in college.

As far as playing under center, teams still do that because there are a lot of running plays that simply don't work if you are in shotgun. Too many times the RB is running parallel to the line, so penetrating DL stop him cold.

In the I Formation, or an Ace backfield, the RB can attack ANY hole if the blocking is there. If a DL penetrates, it takes away some of the options, but not all of them. The Pistol is the modern half way adaptation to allow shotgun teams to still use the Ace/I formation running game. You can still hit all the holes, run counters, etc. There are some plays that don't work due to timing, but most still do.

Hebert is going to have to run plays from the pistol, and that is all there is to it. Put on the big boy pants, this is the NFL. AL is a fan of running the ball and attack across the formation, so he is going to have to do it.

Now, for the Oregon crowd, no one is suggesting that we run the Pistol offense that Kapernick and crowd made so popular in college ball. That is the old college Veer offense with some new window dressing (FWIW, that was the type of offense LT ran at TCU, only pre-pistol days). No one has used that offense in pro ball that I am aware of. Every NFL team uses a pistol alignment, at least in practice, because teams that still like the "I" running game and play action off that backfield action. But the beauty of the pistol is that you can still run a huge part of traditional NFL plays from the pistol.

Comment

• nomad1946
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2017
                    • West Yellowstone, Montana
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

I just realized that we picked a QB at #6 and do not have a QB coach. :troll:

Comment

• GoDucks2020
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Hebert is going to have to learn to run plays from under center, because there is where you develop footwork. Even if you take the snap from the C in the shotgun, or pistol, you still have to get your body into position to throw. Hebert has poor timing on many throws because his footwork SUCKS. Actually, more inconsistent than sucks, but it is not where it needs to be.

Want to see good footwork, watch Burrows and Tua. They take their drops, and their bodies are ready to get the ball out.

Hebert is still shifting around in the pocket, then the ball comes out off schedule, because his body has to shift around to get it to go where he wants. And this is in a college game, where he really isn't getting pressured like he will be in the NFL. Everything will happen faster and he will have less time to think than he did in college.

As far as playing under center, teams still do that because there are a lot of running plays that simply don't work if you are in shotgun. Too many times the RB is running parallel to the line, so penetrating DL stop him cold.

In the I Formation, or an Ace backfield, the RB can attack ANY hole if the blocking is there. If a DL penetrates, it takes away some of the options, but not all of them. The Pistol is the modern half way adaptation to allow shotgun teams to still use the Ace/I formation running game. You can still hit all the holes, run counters, etc. There are some plays that don't work due to timing, but most still do.

Hebert is going to have to run plays from the pistol, and that is all there is to it. Put on the big boy pants, this is the NFL. AL is a fan of running the ball and attack across the formation, so he is going to have to do it.

Now, for the Oregon crowd, no one is suggesting that we run the Pistol offense that Kapernick and crowd made so popular in college ball. That is the old college Veer offense with some new window dressing (FWIW, that was the type of offense LT ran at TCU, only pre-pistol days). No one has used that offense in pro ball that I am aware of. Every NFL team uses a pistol alignment, at least in practice, because teams that still like the "I" running game and play action off that backfield action. But the beauty of the pistol is that you can still run a huge part of traditional NFL plays from the pistol.

​​​​​​The problem with the pistol is that the RB is coming down the pipe full speed which makes it hard to cut back so blocking has to be good. The RB is basically going down a pre-defined track. You won't get many negative running plays from the pistol but explosion plays are also limited since it handicaps the RBs ability to improvise. It can be run to either side without tipping your hand pre-snap like you said. The other aspect I don't like about the pistol is that play action is kinda messy. There's the snap to contend with and the RB is coming down fast. There's a real precision to the timing by the QB and RB and not much room for error. The RBs must have perfect steps. Remember the QB is usually closer to the center than the shotgun so high snaps or snaps to the left or the right throw off the timing. Bad snaps also lead to more turnovers compared to the shotgun due to less reaction time. RPOs are possible but typically limit the QB to one read due to the aforementioned timing and line of sight issues as the QB is turning to the left or right to fake. In contrast, the shotgun is a bit easier to execute play action as the RB is coming from the side instead of behind, does not have as much build up speed, the QB is deeper in the shotgun, doesn't turn his back to the D as much, and has better line of sight. Fewer timing issues overall. It's fine to have the pistol in the playbook but I wouldn't make it a major part of the offense. It also helps if the QB runs once in awhile so the D doesn't tee off on the RB. Oregon never ran from under center and it's much easier to run play action from under center from a ball handling and timing perspective. Herbert will adapt to playing under center fairly quickly IMO.
                      Last edited by GoDucks2020; 04-26-2020, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                        Superbowl?
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Los Angeles/Chicago
                        • Send PM

I know this may be an unpopular take but I cannot get into the Bolts QB situation because the story of Rivers isn't over. I cannot move on because he is still playing, and I can't understand how fans who once loved him can just move on already when the body isn't cold yet.

I for one am pretty sure Rivers is going to play at an MVP level with the Colts this year and it pains me that T.T. killed free agency and the draft when Phil's gone, where were these chess moves when P.R. was here?!

This will stir some feathers here but I feel Rivers will play at least 3 more years and that my gut is telling me that 2022 Rivers will be playing better than 2022 Herbert which kills me that we didn't tag him or work out a team friendly deal.

I know Herbert may be a bust, or mediocre like a Ryan Fitzpatrick or even great like Phil but to get to the level we already had, why fix something that isn't broken? (the line was broke, not Phil) but perhaps Phil and Lynn's relationship and the 16 road games is what was broke and maybe Phil didn't want to be back.

I have grown to love Phil more a little more than the Chargers, it's unhealthy to have to root for both a player on a different team and a team without my QB.

This is painful.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post
                          I know this may be an unpopular take but I cannot get into the Bolts QB situation because the story of Rivers isn't over. I cannot move on because he is still playing, and I can't understand how fans who once loved him can just move on already when the body isn't cold yet.

I for one am pretty sure Rivers is going to play at an MVP level with the Colts this year and it pains me that T.T. killed free agency and the draft when Phil's gone, where were these chess moves when P.R. was here?!

This will stir some feathers here but I feel Rivers will play at least 3 more years and that my gut is telling me that 2022 Rivers will be playing better than 2022 Herbert which kills me that we didn't tag him or work out a team friendly deal.

I know Herbert may be a bust, or mediocre like a Ryan Fitzpatrick or even great like Phil but to get to the level we already had, why fix something that isn't broken? (the line was broke, not Phil) but perhaps Phil and Lynn's relationship and the 16 road games is what was broke and maybe Phil didn't want to be back.

I have grown to love Phil more a little more than the Chargers, it's unhealthy to have to root for both a player on a different team and a team without my QB.

This is painful.
                          I am first and foremost a CHARGER fan! So the reason is self explanatory.
                          For me, players come and go but the Lightning Bolts are forever!

I love Phil and hope he finishes out his great career with roar and not a whimper in Indy. I will be pulling for him unless it against/not in the Bolt’s interest.
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X