• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AK47
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

There's nothing wrong with San Diego or LA. It's just that everyone knows the spanos too well in California and if the spanos don't change they will be forced to sell the team.
    True dat. If Spanos wanted a clean no frills guaranteed acceptance with open arms it was not LA though. But yes the most streamline way was to make amends with San Diego.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

There's nothing wrong with San Diego or LA. It's just that everyone knows the spanos too well in California and if the spanos don't change they will be forced to sell the team.
      Forced by who?
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Oracle, McKesson, HP, Tesla......these are just some of the largest companies moving out of Cali to Texas. Perhaps the Chargers should've moved to Austin or San Antonio. A true fresh start. Said Texas cities would've backed any NFL team.
        Cali needs to thin out by half so I can afford a 5 acre beach bluff property in Rancho Santa Fe.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Oracle, McKesson, HP, Tesla......these are just some of the largest companies moving out of Cali to Texas. Perhaps the Chargers should've moved to Austin or San Antonio. A true fresh start. Said Texas cities would've backed any NFL team.
          Two things come to mind...

1. Jerry Jones would not let another team move into Texas.

2. Dean Spanos had no interest in moving to anywhere but to LA. When the L.A. Clippers sold for $2 billion in 2014 the eyes popped out of Dean's head and he decided that is what he wanted. Neither Austin nor San Antonio would give him that.

Comment

• AK47
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Two things come to mind...

1. Jerry Jones would not let another team move into Texas.

2. Dean Spanos had no interest in moving to anywhere but to LA. When the L.A. Clippers sold for $2 billion in 2014 the eyes popped out of Dean's head and he decided that is what he wanted. Neither Austin nor San Antonio would give him that.
            The Clippers what? then how much is the Chargers in LA. Damn I can't blame Spanos then.

Only other option was Vegas but the Turds got there first.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

The Clippers what? then how much is the Chargers in LA. Damn I can't blame Spanos then.

Yeah, this was speculated on during the final years of the Chargers in San Diego. You may recall in 2014 Clippers owner Donald Sterling was forced to sell the team after being recorded making some pretty racist remarks. Steve Ballmer paid $2 billion for the team, an amount that astonished the sports world. I don't know if the Chargers were valued half that at the time. But not long after this sale is when Dean Spanos started threatening to move the team to LA if he didn't get a new stadium in SD. There are many who believe he didn't really want a new stadium in SD as much as he wanted to leverage himself out of the SD market into the LA market. I don't think he was interested in Las Vegas or any other secondary city like Austin or San Antonio. He wanted the LA market for the money.

UPDATE: Yeah, look at this...the Chargers were valued at just under $1 billion in 2014. When a perennial loser NBA franchise suddenly sold for $2 billion one can only imagine how that lit a fire under Dean to move the team. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...rs-since-2006/

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Forced by who?
                Their pocket books! Your quite right that no one can force them to sell. Especially when they have used little common sense over the last decade. Alex wanted to win, this generation of spanos spent all their time trying to get a stadium built. Who knows what their true motivation is going forward.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Their pocket books! Your quite right that no one can force them to sell. Especially when they have used little common sense over the last decade. Alex wanted to win, this generation of spanos spent all their time trying to get a stadium built. Who knows what their true motivation is going forward.
                  They get the TV revenue and pay $1 a year in rent, so even with the relocation fee they won't be hurting for money. I never see them selling, sadly.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

They get the TV revenue and pay $1 a year in rent, so even with the relocation fee they won't be hurting for money. I never see them selling, sadly.
                    That's why we have the sporting news and other journalists have taken to heckling the spanos'. Social embarrassment on a mass scale might do wonders.

:beer:
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Right now, less then the Clippers.

How much is a bottle cap worth in the Taj Mahal?

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2020
                        • Send PM

I thought this might be a better spot to post this.

Finally Steichen gets some credit nationally in his FIRST full season as OC. With poor offensive line play overall and a rookie QB putting up historic rookie QB numbers, how is it that Steichen is rarely mentioned. Most successful QBs that I can think of credits their offensive coordinator, which Herbert has done repeatedly.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
                          I thought this might be a better spot to post this.

Finally Steichen gets some credit nationally in his FIRST full season as OC. With poor offensive line play overall and a rookie QB putting up historic rookie QB numbers, how is it that Steichen is rarely mentioned. Most successful QBs that I can think of credits their offensive coordinator, which Herbert has done repeatedly.
                          The play calling has been horrible and was again tonight.

You have Herbert pulling the team forward despite the Lynn and Steichen anchors being tied around his neck and waist.

Comment

Working...
                          X