• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Respectfully disagree with your assessment that we're improving. IMO the increase in wins is due to soft schedules and playing teams with significant injuries at QB (Colts, Rams etc). I'll point to the fact that we didn't beat a team that finished with a winning record last year, and add to that the face plant in Jacksonville.

I'm skeptical, but hopeful . To each his own . . . . . .
    You can argue if you want but when we played them they had a winning record (Miami,Tennessee..whoever else I'm missing).
    In any case when team health is better, we will be better. I think if just Herbert didn't have broken rib cartilage, he is better and so is the offense.
    Lombo still wasn't a good in the second half though.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

You can argue if you want but when we played them they had a winning record (Miami,Tennessee..whoever else I'm missing).
      In any case when team health is better, we will be better. I think if just Herbert didn't have broken rib cartilage, he is better and so is the offense.
      Lombo still wasn't a good in the second half though.
      Yeah - I know. This is the response I get from everyone, but the argument was made that our seasonal record had improved every season under Staley, so I though it appropriate that our competition was evaluated in the same (seasonal) manner. Just because team XXXXX was 2 - 1 after 3 games does not necessarily make them a good team (which is the point of the argument).

I agree that good health will help a great deal, as will Herbert not having broken ribs, plus being saddled with Lombardi. But we still have Staley to carry - the same guy who allowed Lombardi to run the O into the ground, and couldn't figure out how to fix the defense . . . . . not sure how we work around that next year.

Can someone convince him to move to the broadcast booth? He talks a great game . . . . . that gig would be perfect for him.

Comment

• Wrbanwal
        FUdean
        • Dec 2022
        • Send PM

As a uninformed, inexperienced arm-chair GM my opinion is the FUdeans use the 5th year option that will pay him $30mil and keep him in lala through 2024.

Or, they sign him to an extension that will kick the can down the road past 2024

Under plan A, under new ownership they sign him to $60 million/year making him the 3rd highest paid QB behind (insert your favorite QB here).

Under plan B, the new owners will re-negotiate (can they do that in the nfl?)

Comment

• MagicMamba88
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Yeah - I know. This is the response I get from everyone, but the argument was made that our seasonal record had improved every season under Staley, so I though it appropriate that our competition was evaluated in the same (seasonal) manner. Just because team XXXXX was 2 - 1 after 3 games does not necessarily make them a good team (which is the point of the argument).

I agree that good health will help a great deal, as will Herbert not having broken ribs, plus being saddled with Lombardi. But we still have Staley to carry - the same guy who allowed Lombardi to run the O into the ground, and couldn't figure out how to fix the defense . . . . . not sure how we work around that next year.

Can someone convince him to move to the broadcast booth? He talks a great game . . . . . that gig would be perfect for him.
            Lombardi didn't run the O into the ground, it just wasn't good enough. We were #13 scoring O in spite of key injuries. The D was 22nd for similar reasons, key players out.
            I want to see this team play before I piss on them.
            Clearly they could have been better playing at full strength and were disappointing in the Jax game in spite of the massive lead Staley's D gave them before Davis went out.
            Staley's public speaking bores me to tears. He must not talk game plans like that since we were one of the better D's following the break and were #1 for a 4 game span that got us in the playoffs. Staley's Chargers have had a better W-L every year.
            History aside, 2023 will be put up or shut up. We're winning some playoff games. Eff a bunch of "what if"s.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Lombardi didn't run the O into the ground, it just wasn't good enough. We were #13 scoring O in spite of key injuries. The D was 22nd for similar reasons, key players out.
              Clearly they could have been better playing at full strength and were disappointing in the Jax game in spite of the massive lead Staley's D gave them before Davis went out.
              Staley's public speaking bores me to tears. He must not talk game plans like that since we were one of the better D's following the break and were #1 for a 4 game span that got us in the playoffs. Staley's Chargers have had a better W-L every year.
              History aside, 2023 will be put up or shut up. We're winning some playoff games. Eff a bunch of "what if"s.
              You have confidence in Staley, I do not. We'll see . . . . . .

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I think he did! We got 20% less from our players and could not train up rookie players other than the two talented guards we drafted. Still the oline struggle more than it should have.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post
                  It's downright unacceptable. To have two playoff wins over the last 14 seasons, with Philip Rivers and Justin Herbert at quarterback, is absolutely unbelievable to me.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

It's downright unacceptable. To have two playoff wins over the last 14 seasons, with Philip Rivers and Justin Herbert at quarterback, is absolutely unbelievable to me.
                    Damn - Sapp is killing the Chargers . . . .

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

Damn - Sapp is killing the Chargers . . . .
                      LOL. It's Warren Sharp, not Sapp. Warren Sapp is too busy doing...who knows what at this point?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

LOL. It's Warren Sharp, not Sapp. Warren Sapp is too busy doing...who knows what at this point?
                        You-re right - my bad.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

You have confidence in Staley, I do not. We'll see . . . . . .
                          agree that am not so inspired by Brandon (similar to the hiring of Norv in lieu of RR), and.... think the bigger factor was Herbert's health, along w/some of the same among his supporting cast.

for the if and when we sign him to his mega deal, our roster will suffer some rather serious attrition, and.... if we are unlucky w/injuries come 2024, and.... Dean follows thru on putting the team up for sale, that could well force the Spanos' hand, and.... am under the impression that Staley's contract expires then (after the 2024 season, and not this next season), which would be a large factor as well ??
                          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

Working...
                          X