• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
    I'm 3 days into a 2 week Covid Quarantine....youngest has it. I can't spend everyday of the next two weeks leading up to the draft, talking about Darrisaw...in a year with a possible 5 QBs going top 10, the Chargers at #13 are likely to see a top 10 prospect...I think Darrisaw is a decent prospect, but not top 10 caliber, which is why I am not hot on picking him....but the Darrisaw fans think more highly of him...or at least I hope so, if they are gonna pick him at 13...I hope not just so they can check off the LT box....

Anyway, Darrisaw fans get their wish....he is a quality Blue Chip prospect...and now he is gone top 10.
    1. Jags- Trevor Lawrance
    2. Jets- Zach Wilson
    3. 49rs- Mac Jones
    4. ATL- Justine Fields
    5. Cincy- Penei Sewell
    6. Fins- Ja'marr Chase
    7. Lions- Kyle Pitts
    8. CAR- Christian Darrisaw
    9. Donks- Micah Parsons
    10. Boys- Rashawn Slater
    11. Giants- Patrick Surtain
    12. Philly- Joe Horn
    13. Bolts-???

There....no Slater, no Horn, no Darrisaw....now what do you do? I think there is gonna be a 5th QB....but what if there isn't? What if the top ten teams are done...and NE and Chicago and WFT don't blink? What if the usual suspects....top corners and tackles....are gone? Something new to argue about....

Caleb Farley....is his back really ok?
    AVT, JOK, Waddle, Moerig....all slam dunk picks...but none of these guys play LT or CB...can we find starters in the second and third, affording us to pick one of these guys?
    Tevin Jenkins....can he play on the left side?
    Phillips, Ojulari...pass rush could be sick...very tempting.
    Cosmi, Little, Brown, Radunz....etc., etc.,.....do we get desperate and reach for need?

No trade back, TBP.....who you got?
    How is Darrisaw not a top 13 pick when he is repeatedly mocked in the top 10?

In this situation, I’m moving to next in line at OLT, AVT or Jenkins. Potentially with a trade back because they’d both be solid day 1 starters here. Fill the black hole with the first pick.

The black hole, where Herbert’s health disappears.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Can't miss...hahahahaha. how many times do we hear that about lineman that go on to have dud careers? Robert gallery, Cooper, pork chop Womack, joekel, Robinson. Projecting from college to the NFL is rarely "can't miss".
      And don't forget about Tony Mandarich...

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
        "That's a small portion of what it takes to be a tackle at the next level," Williams said on Thursday at the NFL Combine. "I think if you look at a lot of the really successful tackles over the past 10 years from Joe Thomas, Joe Staley, Jake Matthews, Jason Peters, La'el Collins, Riley Reiff, Ryan Ramczyk - just a couple guys off the top of my head that have shorter arms. I don't think that that's necessarily a huge deal. I'm proud of the way that I play. My approach to the game is what makes me a great player, so if my fingers were an eighth of an inch longer, I'd be good enough? The way that I play is what defines me as a football player."
        "I'll play wherever a team wants me to play," he said. "I was the best tackle in college football, and so I know that I can play at the next level. But I'm a competitor, I want to be on the field, I'll play wherever a team wants me."
        If we take abunch of guys with 33+ arms and round down to 33 of course we're gonna get that.

There obviously isn't a bright line exactly at 34 inches, but 34+ is better than 34, 34 is better than 33+, 33+ is better than 33, 33 is better than 32+, etc. There are a lot of other factors that go into line play but if the defender is longer than the blocker it's tougher to get the initial shock and almost impossible to disengage and reset.

An OL wants, most of all, to strike, separate, reset, strike again, while keeping the defender outside his arms. If an OL really does his job the defender ends up standing there looking at him or trying to run around. Defenders want to engage with the OL and not let him separate, ideally from close where the OL has to grab instead of strike, then stack, rip, etc. Even edge rushers don't just run around, they hit the corner, turn speed to power, and close and drive through the tackle.

I played DT and LG in HS with short arms (and short and light) I had a wrestling and boxing background so as DT I could win the hand fight, keep the OL hands off me, and close and get into his pads, so my arm length didnt matter. At LG none of this mattered because I couldnt maintain separation against longer armed defenders. If I was bigger I could have turned it into a sumo match, drive vs drive, but I was playing at like 180, and that isn't ideal technique because it opens you to counter moves. Strike, separate, strike, separate, keep your base.

There are a lot of NFL defenders with 33+ arms. Not a lot with 34+ arms.

Comment

• CTrout
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I'm 3 days into a 2 week Covid Quarantine....youngest has it. I can't spend everyday of the next two weeks leading up to the draft, talking about Darrisaw...in a year with a possible 5 QBs going top 10, the Chargers at #13 are likely to see a top 10 prospect...I think Darrisaw is a decent prospect, but not top 10 caliber, which is why I am not hot on picking him....but the Darrisaw fans think more highly of him...or at least I hope so, if they are gonna pick him at 13...I hope not just so they can check off the LT box....

Anyway, Darrisaw fans get their wish....he is a quality Blue Chip prospect...and now he is gone top 10.
          1. Jags- Trevor Lawrance
          2. Jets- Zach Wilson
          3. 49rs- Mac Jones
          4. ATL- Justine Fields
          5. Cincy- Penei Sewell
          6. Fins- Ja'marr Chase
          7. Lions- Kyle Pitts
          9. Donks- Micah Parsons
          10. Boys- Rashawn Slater
          12. Philly- Joe Horn
          13. Bolts-???

There....no Slater, no Horn, no Darrisaw....now what do you do? I think there is gonna be a 5th QB....but what if there isn't? What if the top ten teams are done...and NE and Chicago and WFT don't blink? What if the usual suspects....top corners and tackles....are gone? Something new to argue about....

AVT, JOK, Waddle, Moerig....all slam dunk picks...but none of these guys play LT or CB...can we find starters in the second and third, affording us to pick one of these guys?
          Cosmi, Little, Brown, Radunz....etc., etc.,.....do we get desperate and reach for need?

Well if Philly is crazy enough to take "Joe Horn" at 12.....Im taking his kid Jaycee at 13 =)

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
            Yep, I posted this a couple weeks ago.

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

33.5". That half inch matters, ask your wife's boyfriends.

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

1. Jags- Trevor Lawrance
                2. Jets- Zach Wilson
                3. 49rs- Mac Jones
                4. ATL- Justine Fields
                5. Cincy- Penei Sewell
                6. Fins- Ja'marr Chase
                7. Lions- Kyle Pitts
                9. Donks- Micah Parsons
                10. Boys- Rashawn Slater
                12. Philly- Joe Horn
                13. Bolts-???

Farley if his back clears, Waddle if it doesn't.

I reject your no trade down premise in this situation though.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                  33.5". That half inch matters, ask your wife's boyfriends.
                  Arm Length or Wingspan? Length or Width?
                  The Wifey knows what really matters.
                  :rimshot:
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    TPB has a blind spot,
                    and it's Moehrig.

Moehrig the player
                    and
                    Moehrig the role.

Ask Tomlin how he feels about Minkah (the comp for Moehrig.)

Ask Fangio how he feels about Justin Simmons (the closest thing to the defense Staley runs.)
                    ​​
                    :coffee:
                    Moehrig is a monster.
                    The DS/DB class is exceptionally deep.
                    There could be 10+ DS/DB with ideal metrics, measurables, instinctual, TC/leaders, high football IQ with quality tape that go day 3.
                    I’d wager no less than 2 DB drafted, 3 probable, and 4 on the top end.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Moehrig is a monster.
                      There could be 10+ DS/DB with ideal metrics, measurables, instinctual, TC/leaders, high football IQ with quality tape that go day 3.
                      Agree. Think it is a great draft to stock up on DBs.
                      Can never have DBs.
                      Especially since 5DBs are often on the field and the need for good special teams as well.
                      I hoping they pick at least 3DBs this draft.
                      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Parcells
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

1. Jags- Trevor Lawrance
                        2. Jets- Zach Wilson
                        3. 49rs- Mac Jones
                        4. ATL- Justine Fields
                        5. Cincy- Penei Sewell
                        6. Fins- Ja'marr Chase
                        7. Lions- Kyle Pitts
                        9. Donks- Micah Parsons
                        10. Boys- Rashawn Slater
                        12. Philly- Joe Horn
                        13. Bolts-???

I go Waddle at this spot. Then I keep a list of tackles like Cosmi, Radunz, Jenkins, and Little. Once three of those guys get taken, I pull the trigger and trade up to get the fourth (or the third if you don't like one of those guys). Hopefully one falls to 47. Then go DBs in the third with at least one pick (although the situation may dictate sacrificing a third to move up and grab a tackle).

Herbert to Waddle could be one of those all time connections like Montana to Rice, Young to Rice, Manning to Harrison, Manning to Wayne, Aikman to Irvin, Kelly to Reed, Brady to Gronk, Rivers to Gates, and even Stafford to Calvin Johnson was pretty awesome.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Moehrig is a monster.
                          I believe the ONLY disagreement you and I have here is in how to construct the new Staley back seven.

Farley's back is fine IMV.
                          He is quite tempting @#13,
                          in the final analysis.
                          I get the value aspect of CB.
                          And the talent level of this prospect.

Fleet's not playing around.
                          Bring Horn.
                          Bring The Warhammer.

Tell me ninja.
                          In your scout's eye,
                          how flexible is Ifeatu ?
                          Box ?