2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
    https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/li...will-mcdonald/

USA Today: Los Angeles Chargers three-round 2023 NFL mock draft 3.0

Gavino Borquez
    February 9, 2023 1:03 pm PT

The 2023 NFL draft is still three months away, but we will supply you with in-depth coverage between now and then to inform you who the Chargers could be targeting with they’re on the clock.

With that being said, this will be the third installment of the three-round mock draft Thursday, where I will lay out different scenarios every week on how the first three rounds could play out for Los Angeles.

Round 1, No. 21, WR Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee

At his end-of-season press conference, general manager Tom Telesco said that the Chargers needed to get faster at wide receiver. And there isn’t anyone that possesses more explosive game speed in this draft than Hyatt.

Hyatt caught 67 passes for 1,267 yards and 15 touchdowns this season. He averaged 18.9 yards per catch, ranked 13th in the nation, and had 14 catches on balls thrown at least 20 yards downfield, tied for fourth.

Herbert’s 6.8 yards per attempt ranked 26th in the NFL in 2022, and Hyatt’s downfield ability would help turn that around toward the top of the league.

Round 2, No. 54, EDGE Will McDonald, Iowa State

The Chargers need more pass-rush juice behind Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack, as Kyle Van Noy will be a free agent, and 2021 fourth-round pick Chris Rumph II has not produced in his first two seasons. McDonald would instantly improve the production at pressuring opposing quarterbacks.

With an excellent first step with the hips to bend the edge and the flexibility to drop his shoulder to get under blockers, violent hands, a wicked spin move, and the arm length (35″) to long-arm blockers, McDonald is a mainstay in opposing backfields.

In 2020, McDonald finished the season tied for first in the nation in sacks with 10.5. He was even more dominant in 2021, finishing seventh with 11.5 sacks. His sack total took a dip in his final season for the Cyclones, but primarily because he was used in various roles.

Round 3, No. 85, TE Tucker Kraft, South Dakota State

With Gerald Everett only having one more year on his contract, Donald Parham’s injury concerns looming, and Tre’ McKitty’s underwhelming play, the tight end position needs to be addressed.

At 6-foot-5 and 255 pounds, Kraft has a great blend of size and strength. He has good speed, short-area quickness and ball skills. Kraft has the run-blocking ability and toughness to be a solid contributor in that department. Additionally, he has experience playing in-line, in the slot, and out wide.

Kraft had 65 receptions (the most among FCS tight ends) for 773 yards and six touchdowns as a first-team All-American in 2021. In 2022, he suffered an ankle injury that kept him sidelined for eight games. He returned to finish with 27 receptions for 348 yards and three touchdowns.
    Would not kick these picks outta bed for eating crackers, solid choices all of them. I fully expect our top picks to look something like this, maybe not these exact players but the positions in some combination.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Would not kick these picks outta bed for eating crackers, solid choices all of them. I fully expect our top picks to look something like this, maybe not these exact players but the positions in some combination.
      I moved to Nashville a year and half ago and got to watch a lot of Hyatt this year and am kind of biased from having followed him so closely but damn - the thought of someone with Tyreek Hill speed screaming downfield with Herbert launching missiles to him just makes me salivate!

Comment

• Air Coryell
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2021
        • Carlsbad, CA
        • Teacher, Coach, CFO
        • Send PM

Rounds 1 - 3 Draft Beef; OL, DL or Edge. each year, every year.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Oklahoma
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I moved to Nashville a year and half ago and got to watch a lot of Hyatt this year and am kind of biased from having followed him so closely but damn - the thought of someone with Tyreek Hill speed screaming downfield with Herbert launching missiles to him just makes me salivate!
          Would love to see it, but the Chargers do not yet have good enough pass protection to provide the time Mahomes and Hill had.
          My question here is, How much does a speed guy like Hyatt, Flowers, or Downs provide in the short to mid passing game on all those plays Herbie will face pressure in under 3.5 seconds?

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

Would love to see it, but the Chargers do not yet have good enough pass protection to provide the time Mahomes and Hill had.
            My question here is, How much does a speed guy like Hyatt, Flowers, or Downs provide in the short to mid passing game on all those plays Herbie will face pressure in under 3.5 seconds?
            We threw long in 2021. We'll get Slater back, Zion should be better. It's a lock that Moore can help with play calling, blocking schemes
            and will stretch the field. More speed makes it easier.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2020
              • Oklahoma
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

We threw long in 2021. We'll get Slater back, Zion should be better. It's a lock that Moore can help with play calling, blocking schemes
              and will stretch the field. More speed will help.
              good points, we will have to do a deep dive and see how often Prescott threw deep and how much time he had?
              Not to mention a comparison of the Chargers vs Cowboys O Lines over Herbie's first 3 seasons.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Kauai
                • Send PM

STAR GAMES 2023 Senior Bowl top 12 For PIGSKIN

February 6, 2023
                0 Comment
                Ok, let’s talk about 12 guys who caught my eye while watching practice and game action last week in Mobile. It doesn’t mean that they will all be in my Top 100 in April. It does not mean that they are the best bets from this game to be selected in the First Round of the Draft. It is more of a case of presenting to you the players who were pleasant surprises to me, and should have a solid chance to have a transition to the pro game in the years to come. Let me say that I was tempted to exclude those players who were not injured but chose to not play in the game Saturday. But I decided against that, with the brief message to them, ‘if you were not injured, then finish what you start. Quitters don’t last long in pro sports’.

SO, in alphabetical order:

KEEANU BENTON DT Wisconsin 6’034″/312 9 7/8″Hands 81 3/4″ Wing

BURTON might have been first on this list even if I had gone in order of their overall play in Mobile. This guy looked like man amongst boys on a regular basis. He is strong, he is quick for his size and he plays with a high rev motor. Can find a spot in a DL group no matter what the defensive formation. He even shows some pass rush up the middle to collapse the pocket. Based on what he did here last week, he should be a First Round Pick!

SYDNEY BROWN SS Illinois 5’10/213 10 1/4″ HANDS 31 5/8″ ARMS

Don’t let his lack of height scare you off. The twin brother RB Chase Brown, I think Sydney may be the more successful of the 2 brothers in the NFL as a starting Safety, who is equally effective against the run or pass. He also packs wallop when tackling with that 213 lb. frame. Day 2 Draftee. Stood out all week. I should add, shows some serious ball skills.

‘TANK’ DELL WR/RS Houston 5’083/163 8 7/8″ Hands 31/1/8″Arms

Yes he is small. But with his speed, quickness and toughness there is enough room on NFL roster for him as a situational player, from the slot, and in the Punt Return game on Special Teams. He ran wild at times in Mobile, but NFL secondary zone D will somewhat control that. The Combine will be a big deal in the quickness drills.

DERICK HALL DE/ER Auburn 6’026/252 9 7/8″ Hands 34 3/8″ Arms 83″ Wing

For his height & weight he has some excellent measurables in length, as you can see above. He has a tendency to disappear if his first major move does not work. Can bend the edge well. In a 4-man line he can be effective setting the edge against the run, with some serious strength. Showed consistent energy and effort all week.

DAIYAN HENLEY LB Washington State 6’007″/230 9 1/4″ Hands 33″ Arms 78 3/8″ Wing

The best LB prospect in Mobile, in the true sense the word LB. His numbers at the Combine should be explosive. In today’s NFL his biggest asset is his skill in pass coverage. He has a high FBI, natural instincts and great field vision. Henley recorded 8 tackles on Saturday, in addition to his pass coverage. My NFL comp for this young man is the multi-talented MATT MILANO of the BILLS. He is likely a tad more athletic than Milano.

CODY MAUCH IOL North Dakota St 6’047″/305 9 5/8″ Hands 32 1/8″ Arms

Seems like every year now Jim Nagy and his scouts bring in a couple of smaller school players who have legit NFL traits. MAUCH may have been the most consistently good OL in Mobile last week. And this is while converting from OT to the IOL due to his relatively short arms. He played OC & OG primarily in Mobile and handled defenders whether in pass or run blocking. I think he will show enough in Indy, at the Combine, to secure a Round 2 Draft spot.

WILL McDONALD ER/OB Iowa State 6’034″/241 35″ Arms 83 3/8″ Wing

He will have some work to do converting to an OLB spot as a pro, but his relentless energy and quickness as an EDGE-RUSHER should translate to the pro game. His arm length and wingspan really get the attention of NFL scouts. He may not excel as a Rookie, but he should respond to pro coaching and become a valuable pro defender in a year or two.

JOHN MICHAEL SCHMITZ OC Minnesota 6’033/306 9 5/8″ Hands 32 3/4″ Arms

I heard SCHMITZ be proclaimed as perhaps the “safest player” in the upcoming Draft by former NFL Scout Daniel Jeremiah on NFLN from Mobile. He became the best OC in the Big Ten over the past two seasons in Coach Fleck’s beloved, punishing Gophers running game. Schmitz is physically solid, tough as nails and football smart. He is a leader in the locker room and on the field. He has a solid chance to be a Day Two Draft Pick. Likely to be a plug-and-play starter for a decade in the NFL.

TYJAE SPEARS RB Tulane 5’095″/204 10″ Hands 30 5/8″ Arms

This young man had a meteoric rise as a prospect with his play for Tulane last season. And he grabbed the spotlight from Day One in Mobile. He is a do-it-all RB who catches as well as he runs with the ball. He is explosive once the ball is in his hands, and showed that in practices. He is likely to be in the top half-dozen RB taken in the NFL Draft. He is still thin and wiry strong, but his weigh-in weight in Mobile was about 10 lbs. more than expected. And there seemed to be no loss of explosive burst and speed from the extra wight. He is the biggest riser coming out of this venue IMO.

KEION WHITE DE/ER Georgia Tech 6’046/280 10 5/8″ Hands 33 5/8″ Arms

WHITE. came into Mobile as possibly the highest ranked prospect in either locker room. He’s an edge-rush, sack man with a full and muscled frame at 280 lbs. And he doesn’t appear to have an ounce of fat on that sculpted frame. He is graceful to watch in the 1-on-1 drills. I’ll keep this short and sweet… he reminds me a lot of BROWNS star DL MYLES GARRETT. A strong Combine performance could push into the Top 12 of this next Draft.

MICHAEL WILSON WR Stanford 6’015/216 9 7/8″ HANDS 31 ” ARMS

WILSON had a less than spectacular career at Stanford, on some pretty mediocre teams. But he was mentioned multiple times after accepting his Senior Bowl invite as a player to watch carefully in Mobile. And those prognosticators proved correct. He was an immediate hit with sharp routs and sure handed catches. He got separation all week and displayed dependable hands. And excelled again on game day, with 4 receptions, for 76 yards and 1 TD. He leaves Mobile with a chance to secure a Top 100 Prospect ranking with a solid Combine. Luv his size and frame.

DARNELL WRI,GHT OT Tennessee 6’051/342 8 1/2″ Hands 34 1/8″Arms

WRIGHT started slowly for the Vols as part of the program rebuild under Head Coach JOSH HEUPEL but truly blossomed in 2022. The big guy is certainly not a ballerina, but he he can move enough to engulf most edge rushers, and is a bulldozer in the run game. He was not spectacular in Mobile, but earned praise as a steady, effective player all week long. Some even spoke of a late First Round grade on him. I am not sold on that yet, but certainly believe he’s Top 100, and an NFL starter in the near future. Very solid week’s work.

In the mood, and feeling a need… I am breaking my own rules and want to mention a player who impressed all week, including game day, but has questions as to his perceived size limitations.

IVAN PACE, Jr. LB Cincinnati 5’102/231 9 3/8″ Hands 30 3/4″ Arms

Size is the issue with PACE. As you can see above his height and length are well outside the NFL ‘preferred range’ for a LB. But he’s all football player when he puts his pads and uniform on. He is like a magnet to the ball. His hustle and desire indicate he could be a Special Teams Captain at the next level. He was the leading tackler in Saturday’s game with double digit (10) tackles. And opponents with the ball in their hands feel the pain after a few hits from PACE. I am thinking there will be a lot of NFL teams with his agent’s phone number, waiting to call after Mr. Irrelevant is chosen on Day 3 of the 2023 Draft. Better have a nice bonus number in mind to sign him though. He could be another LARRY IZZO.

That’s it for now me amigos. I need to watch the Shrine game tape one more time, then get back to you in a day or two with their wrap up.

Cheers

Pigskin Paul

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Staley does not run a traditional 3/4. We rush 4 almost 85% of the time and we really don't have a NT. The system
                  in which Merriman played is very different than what Staley runs. We are also in nickel way more than in those days.
                  We perhaps are in our base system 50-60% of the time. The personnel we had on the field this year fits a 4/3 system.
                  with one exception, we don't have a thumper at ILB. We lost I think at least 2 interior DL guys, which didn't help.
                  I was talking about Seattle's defense in reference to Nwosu,... not our defense and refered to Merriman when he was playing OLB in our 3-4 defense.

You said Seattle blitzes often and Nwosu as a OLB having 9.5 sacks was good because he got those from blitzes and wasn't a pass rusher who was out in coverage like he is playing OLB in a 4-3.
                  Not true at all.

Here is their depth chart if you need clarification.

Seattle Seahawks Depth Chart: The official source of the latest Seahawks player depth chart and team information

Comment

• electricgold
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Hyatt would definitely be what Moore was asking for! However to compare this guy to Tyreek Hill, don't go too far off the cliff! We need a speed WR, with the potential to put up a 1000 yard season! Looking at college tape of Hyatt, if you are asking me going into next season would I rather have Allen or Hyatt starting at WR, I would say Hyatt > Allen

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Hyatt would definitely be what Moore was asking for! However to compare this guy to Tyreek Hill, don't go too far off the cliff! We need a speed WR, with the potential to put up a 1000 yard season! Looking at college tape of Hyatt, if you are asking me going into next season would I rather have Allen or Hyatt starting at WR, I would say Hyatt > Allen
                      The scout on the Charger podcast said Hyatt is a one trick pony and all he can do is run straight line and that nfl defenders won’t have a problem with him. I’ve never seen him play so IDK. But how many average wrs from TN do we need?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Lol,...well if a go route counts for Steller route running, then sure.

Hyatt is blazing fast but we can't even get a read on his route running because all he does is go long and is open by a mimimum of 5 yards.

If we want a true YAC WR with some speed, Flowers is the guy with a more advanced route tree

Don't get me wrong, I like the speed, I like Hyatt, would like to have him....the HR capability but good DCs can take that away. But YAC is deadly.
                        And NO, he isn't better than Keenan. Hyatt has zero snaps in the NFL.

CeeDee Lamb can run with the ball well and he runs a 4.5.

Comment

• electricgold
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lol,...well if a go route counts for Steller route running, then sure.

Hyatt is blazing fast but we can't even get a read on his route running because all he does is go long and is open by a mimimum of 5 yards.

If we want a true YAC WR with some speed, Flowers is the guy with a more advanced route tree

Don't get me wrong, I like the speed, I like Hyatt, would like to have him....the HR capability but good DCs can take that away. But YAC is deadly.
                          And NO, he isn't better than Keenan. Hyatt has zero snaps in the NFL.

CeeDee Lamb can run with the ball well and he runs a 4.5.
                          Again Moore just said on record he wants speed WR's that's because if you look at his offense the receivers are constantly running go routes and slants on any given play! Let's look at the tape on Hyatt, he looks like he fits the bill with exactly what Moore wants at WR! Yes Allen is a better WR that's obvious but is he the type of WR that Moore is currently requesting???

Comment

Working...
                          X