2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

TT may go with cheaper, experienced FAs at ILB. Its not my preferred solution, but it is a solution to get journeyman, mistake minimizing players at a cheaper cap number. What's TT's team building philosophy? You have to save money somewhere. Getting decent players at bargain basement prices has to be part of that philosophy.
    I am not sure what his philosophy is. Seems to change every time we get a new HC. Answer me this: Why did we let White and Nwosu walk?
    Both had great years. White signed a 1 year 3M deal with the Eagles. Nwosu did much better with a 2 year $19M deal. White had 110 tackles,
    some broken up passes and 3 sacks. Nwosu only had 66 solo tackles but he had 9.5 sacks. He was used as a blitzing LB. That sounds pretty
    decent to me and especially with White at the right price.

What decent players has TT acquired at bargain basement prices? We did the opposite last year, all in in FA and we came up short.
    Before Staley we never went with any high profile big contracts for FAs. All of sudden all in on FAs. So tell me, what is his philosophy
    because I'm still scratching my head trying to figure it out.

Comment

• charger1_sj
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Daniel Jeremiah, of NFL Network fame and Charger Radio, how well is he tuned into front office?
      Rank #8
      Keion Whitea Georgia Tech fumble return vs. Florida State. Against the run, he is violent with his hands to shock and shed blocks. He has a huge burst to close from the back side. Overall, White is one of my favorite players in the class and could emerge as the top defender in the class.
      He is flying under the radar on many analysts ratings. Not sure why. We may find out more at the combine.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Daniel Jeremiah, of NFL Network fame and Charger Radio, how well is he tuned into front office?
        Rank #8
        Keion Whitea Georgia Tech fumble return vs. Florida State. Against the run, he is violent with his hands to shock and shed blocks. He has a huge burst to close from the back side. Overall, White is one of my favorite players in the class and could emerge as the top defender in the class.
        That is some high praise right there......Too bad he played for Georgia Tech, but that tells you he is a smart dude. That school does not mess around academically.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

I am not sure what his philosophy is. Seems to change every time we get a new HC. Answer me this: Why did we let White and Nwosu walk?
          Both had great years. White signed a 1 year 3M deal with the Eagles. Nwosu did much better with a 2 year $19M deal. White had 110 tackles,
          some broken up passes and 3 sacks. Nwosu only had 66 solo tackles but he had 9.5 sacks. He was used as a blitzing LB. That sounds pretty
          decent to me and especially with White at the right price.

What decent players has TT acquired at bargain basement prices? We did the opposite last year, all in in FA and we came up short.
          Before Staley we never went with any high profile big contracts for FAs. All of sudden all in on FAs. So tell me, what is his philosophy
          because I'm still scratching my head trying to figure it out.
          Nwosu didn't have a great year with us. He had five sacks and he only started to come on towards the last part of the season.
          I wouldn't have paid him 10 mil a year either.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

What decent players has TT acquired at bargain basement prices?
            Just last year:

Kyle Van Noy - 1 year @ $2.25 million
            Morgan Fox - 1 year @ $1.18 million
            Bryce Callahan - 1 year @ $1.27 million
            Deandre Carter - 1 year @ $1.13 million

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Nwosu didn't have a great year with us. He had five sacks and he only started to come on towards the last part of the season.
              I wouldn't have paid him 10 mil a year either.
              5 sacks as a LB in Staley's system is pretty good. We don't blitz like Seattle does. I thought the guy was making pretty good
              progress. Not sure about $10M/yr, but he was a beast for Seattle this year.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Just last year:

Kyle Van Noy - 1 year @ $2.25 million
                Morgan Fox - 1 year @ $1.18 million
                Bryce Callahan - 1 year @ $1.27 million
                Deandre Carter - 1 year @ $1.13 million
                They are all FAs. So now he's got to do it again. That's not how you build a SB winning team. You can't have Pro Bowlers at every position
                that's understood and those were nice additions for this year. But now what? We're 20M in the cap hole and we either restructure a bunch
                of guys, release or trade others. The problem being we are talking about much of the core of the team.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

They are all FAs. So now he's got to do it again. That's not how you build a SB winning team. You can't have Pro Bowlers at every position
                  that's understood and those were nice additions for this year. But now what? We're 20M in the cap hole and we either restructure a bunch
                  of guys, release or trade others. The problem being we are talking about much of the core of the team.
                  I'm not sure what your point is. You asked what bargain basement players TT signed and I listed 4 from last year that made significant impacts, just as you pointed out White did for the Eagles with his one year bargain basement deal.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

I have seen this kid rated as high as a 1st rounder and as low as the mid 250's on some draft boards. He got good press from media at the Senior Bowl but I guess it will take the combine to figure out just where he stands. He is a nice prospect.
                    This is a big draft for edge rushers. Jeremiah had 3 in his top 10, 8 in his top 31, 11 in his top 50.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

We have Pro Bowlers in Slater, Linsley, Herbert, and Allen on offense.
                      We have Pro Bowlers in Derwin, Bosa, and Mack (former Pro Bowler). Before injury, JCJ made a Pro Bowl.
                      We have near Pro Bowlers in Mike Williams and Michael Davis.

And the truth is, we can keep all of them for next year.
                      I've posted numerous links on how to do this... I don't know what more I can do.
                      Let's go win a Super Bowl... the core of the team is here!

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I'm not sure what your point is. You asked what bargain basement players TT signed and I listed 4 from last year that made significant impacts, just as you pointed out White did for the Eagles with his one year bargain basement deal.
                        The question was asked and I got the answer. Thank you. But now we are in same boat as last year, looking for decent players except that we
                        probably will not be as active during FA. We didn't keep our home grown talent and so we're fishing the bottom of the barrel.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

We have Pro Bowlers in Slater, Linsley, Herbert, and Allen on offense.
                          We have Pro Bowlers in Derwin, Bosa, and Mack (former Pro Bowler). Before injury, JCJ made a Pro Bowl.
                          We have near Pro Bowlers in Mike Williams and Michael Davis.

And the truth is, we can keep all of them for next year.
                          I've posted numerous links on how to do this... I don't know what more I can do.
                          Let's go win a Super Bowl... the core of the team is here!
                          Well most of them have made the Pro Bowl at one time or another. But not last year. Too many injuries.
                          There will be lots of restructuring needed to keep all of the core intact. Some are getting on in age and are more likely
                          to be impacted by injury.

There are concerns on both the D and O side of things. So we'll have to wait and see how the roster turns out. We obviously wiill
                          not be as active in the FA market as last year. So we'll be looking at having a good draft and bringing in unsigned vets, UDFA.

Comment

Working...
                          X