2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Gene.jpg
    Art-Shell-_73.1.webp

LG Gene Upshaw and LT Art Shell

Gene was physical as hell and was a HoF pulling guard, but HoF Art Shell's wingspan is what made Shell
    one of the best left tackles in the league for a decade. When Art got his hands on you, it was over.

Arm length: It separates the guards from the tackles It's why Gene + Art were in their prospective positions.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

You cannot coach longer arms.

https://www.raiders.com/video/chandl...ek-13-nfl-2022

Here is the career game for Chandler Jones v. Jamaree Salyer at LT for the folks who clearly missed it. Watch Jones leverage Jammy with his length. Shorter arms kick inside to guard. Word to the wise, while you're free to, debating this doesn't make Jammy's arms any longer either.
      Slaters arms aren't long either. His are 33". But of course he has great footwork and is quick on the lateral move.
      Salyer has 33 5/8," arms. Being a good OT isn't all about arm length but sure it helps. Good feetcan help more, and that isn't Salyers best trait.

Info can be found just googling their combine results.

It's nice Salyer can play OT but I think they want him to play OG. But maybe that has changed since he played LT all year.
      We'll see.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Slaters arms aren't long either. His are 33". But of course he has great footwork and is quick on the lateral move.
        Salyer has 33 5/8," arms. Being a good OT isn't all about arm length but sure it helps. Good feetcan help more, and that isn't Salyers best trait.

Info can be found just googling their combine results.

It's nice Salyer can play OT but I think they want him to play OG. But maybe that has changed since he played LT all year.
        We'll see.
        Son of an NBA player has good feet. Huh.

I railed for Micah Parsons. Remember?

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Son of an NBA player has good feet. Huh.

I railed for Micah Parsons. Remember?
          I do, you were right on with him and I agreed.
          I liked him and Slater. Sure is nice to a LT that will be here for a long time for a change. Parsons didn't quite make it to us.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Apparently some people would pass on Skoronski.

Salyer at OT in '23 would be under new and different circumstances, which would partially mitigate the arm length issue.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Marshall’s best year was 1530 yards in 12 games as a Jr. Mostly against WAC teams which were a big step down from Big12. Bijan had 1580 in 12 games this year. Its fair all teams keyed on him and he still got it, he was that good.

I wouldn’t take any one game as indicating anything, too many factors. He’s not MG3, he’s a lot faster and has more elusive cut moves, he slips defenders without losing speed. Texas OL was nothing like Wisconsin’s mauling road graders for MG3. Will he be HOF like Marshall - on that I don’t konw. But he’s better than MG3
              As long as Bihan doesn't fumble like Moaning Mel, as long as he doesn't get tripped up by shoestring tackles like Moaning Mel, and as long as he doesn't whine like Moaning Mel, with his production, he's already good to draft in my book...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

O'Cyrus at LG and Zion Johnson at RG and Jamaree Salyer as the swingman at OG? Am I getting this right? I think this has merit. I also believe that Salyer would be the next LG and Feiler can be released and Pipkens is signed to an extension.

Slater/Salyer/Linsley/Johnson/Pipkens

that’s how I would do it, but in my plan I still draft OT or IOL in the first two rounds, even after the pipkins re-signing…keep the line except for overpriced fieler and add depth behind pipkins and linsley in the draft in the form of a swing tackle and a C/G player that can remove wasted roster spots that are norton and jaimes…
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

that’s how I would do it, but in my plan I still draft OT or IOL in the first two rounds, even after the pipkins re-signing…keep the line except for overpriced fieler and add depth behind pipkins and linsley in the draft in the form of a swing tackle and a C/G player that can remove wasted roster spots that are norton and jaimes…
                  I like yer thinking, Fouts...however, I might delay drafting O-line until rounds 2-5, especially if an elite IDL, RB, TE or WR is there at #21...never want to pass up on elite talent...ideally, I'd like to get O-line in rounds 2 and 4...

Comment

• Chargers8491
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2022
                    • Send PM

For the Oline peps. Here you go....

Jared Tokarz on Twitter: "Monstrous Ohio State OL Dawand Jones 6'8 375lbs measured a 89 1/2 wingspan @ Senior Bowl. If he measures that at the NFL Combine, it will be the longest wingspan ever recorded in NFL Draft history. For context, he has the wingspan of someone who is 7'5 https://t.co/6BNgWWTZkG" / Twitter
                    1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                    2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                    2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                    3a- #66 Puni OT
                    3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                    4a- #105 Rice WR
                    4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                    5- #140 Green CB
                    6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

I wonder why the Chargers talked up Atonio Mafi at The East-West Shrine Bowl practices in Las Vegas.

He is a long-armed Gap/Power offensive guard from UCLA.

This guy would be a mid round value pick.

He could be an understudy to Feiler during the final year of Matt's contract.

Unfortunately Popper's Puppets on TPB say no, because that's supposed to be Salyer's spot.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

We can’t draft dawand jones, herbert would never complete another pass to the right side of the field…
                        :LOL:

as it is we’re having trouble getting it over johnson and linsley, no on too tall jones…
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I am on-board with this.

Comment

Working...
                          X