• Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

According to who, you?

If you look at recent contracts that are paying shitty OT's who couldn't carry Trent's jock, like Solder ($15.5mil) or Humphries ($14.75), it would show how out of touch you are with current prices. Now I have no idea what his motivation will be. Maybe he agrees to take less money in order to play for a contender. But $12 million is far from "market" for a LT of his stature. And with the new CBA and rise in salary cap, I expect prices to continue to rise.
    BAsed on the names you mention, Trent as a premium LT in the NFL is probably worth a good couple million more than Humphries. Its not my money. Maguire is pretty good about managing the cap. The Chargers can figure it out thats for sure. I am not so much worried about the cap as teams like the Saints, Steelers and Falcons do a cap dance every year - its the draft picks combined with making sure he signs an extension.

Comment

• RageTheory
      Gilbride Era Survivor
      • Apr 2020
      • Tulsa, OK
      • Send PM

just peering into the ether, so many factors (new unis, new stadium, etc.) make this seem like it has to be a high profile pick.
      To me, that likely eliminates OT and DT as options.
      WR comes with a lot of risk, and I do not see any game breakers amongst them (although I try to be honest about my hesitance to draft a 1st round WR).

This leaves the two defensive superstars (Okudah and Simmons) and Tua or Herbert.
      -Okudah, Simmons, and/or Tua should be drafted at 1.6 unless someone (DAL or ATL?) offers up a pu-pu platter of picks. If Herbert is the only left when the Chargers pick is up, ideally can be picked up anywhere from 1.9 through 1.15 (unless the whispers about MIA picking him at 1.5 are true.. I remain skeptical). A trade-down, even one resulting in lower-than-expected compensation, would be what i hope happens.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by RageTheory View Post
        just peering into the ether, so many factors (new unis, new stadium, etc.) make this seem like it has to be a high profile pick.
        To me, that likely eliminates OT and DT as options.
        WR comes with a lot of risk, and I do not see any game breakers amongst them (although I try to be honest about my hesitance to draft a 1st round WR).

This leaves the two defensive superstars (Okudah and Simmons) and Tua or Herbert.
        -Okudah, Simmons, and/or Tua should be drafted at 1.6 unless someone (DAL or ATL?) offers up a pu-pu platter of picks.
        -Herbert, ideally can be picked up anywhere from 1.9 through 1.15 (unless the whispers about MIA picking him at 1.5 are true.. I remain skeptical). A trade-down, even one resulting in lower-than-expected compensation, would be ideal.
        I have looked at teams 7-15 and I just am not sure I can find a match for Herbert. I think a team like the Jags might be Tanking for Trevor. Bucs - they just got Brady, he needs an OT. Broncos need WR or OL since they have Lock, maybe even DL or CB losing Harris. I can see a realistic scenario where Herbert is there at 16. Either Love or Herbert would be there

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Yeah, we can trade down - but watch some team like NE trade up right above us. If the target is a QB, just take him. If you want a QB not named Herbert or Tua, trade down.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

According to who, you?

If you look at recent contracts that are paying shitty OT's who couldn't carry Trent's jock, like Solder ($15.5mil) or Humphries ($14.75), it would show how out of touch you are with current prices. Now I have no idea what his motivation will be. Maybe he agrees to take less money in order to play for a contender. But $12 million is far from "market" for a LT of his stature. And with the new CBA and rise in salary cap, I expect prices to continue to rise.
            We'll see. This is not a 26 year old on his 2nd contract. This is a guy trying to get out of a bad situation.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I have looked at teams 7-15 and I just am not sure I can find a match for Herbert. I think a team like the Jags might be Tanking for Trevor. Bucs - they just got Brady, he needs an OT. Broncos need WR or OL since they have Lock, maybe even DL or CB losing Harris. I can see a realistic scenario where Herbert is there at 16. Either Love or Herbert would be there
              now that's a question worth asking.... if we had been successful in our pursuit of Brady, do you think he would stand for the left side of his line as Pip, Lamp/Feeney, Qberry ?? or would he be pleased as punch to take Simmons ?? !!
              5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• SYB
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

We'll see. This is not a 26 year old on his 2nd contract. This is a guy trying to get out of a bad situation.
                Kinda like Russell Okung, who happens to be from the same draft class and is slated to make just $100k less than Trent's due. And Okung isn't even close to as talented as Trent is. :shrug:

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

now that's a question worth asking.... if we had been successful in our pursuit of Brady, do you think he would stand for the left side of his line as Pip, Lamp/Feeney, Qberry ?? or would he be pleased as punch to take Simmons ?? !!
                  thats a good point - BRady would have wanted OT at 6

Taylor is a different QB - but the point is the same, to run the damn ball - you need a good OLine.

Beach - as much as I want Simmons - getting a player who can be your LT for the next 8-10 years is not the worst plan

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

And why they need to draft a QB to sit behind him. Blane Gabbart isnt going to be the successor and they have a LT.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

And why they need to draft a QB to sit behind him.
                      Eason
                      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Kinda like Russell Okung, who happens to be from the same draft class and is slated to make just $100k less than Trent's due. And Okung isn't even close to as talented as Trent is. :shrug:
                        And Okung is free. No draft pick required to sign him.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• SYB
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

Eason
                          Good call. He would actually be a perfect fit for Arians style.

Comment

Working...
                          X