• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

takeaway from the SB.... both Burrow and Herbert had top shelf Olines.

will be (very) disappointed if we spend our 6 overall on a QB, and.... also don't want Fromm @37, as would much prefer Cushenberry there, or Swift if he somehow fell.

and hell yeah to D. Brown, and of course to AT.
    I like Cushenbury at #37. Recently went back to watch more tape. I was big on Creed Humphrey @37 until he went back to college.
    In NuttyWorld, we'd get Wills @6 and Cush @37.
    But D. Brown would be my 2nd choice at #6. Keep those fragile LB's clean for once...

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
      Mystifying why any other team would want him, have they not been watching our games??
      Well, after O-line coach Joe D'Alessandris was fired by the Bolts, he was hired by the Ravens. Hmmm, let's see...Ravens went 14-2 this year...Old Joe must have done something right...

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Well, after O-line coach Joe D'Alessandris was fired by the Bolts, he was hired by the Ravens. Hmmm, let's see...Ravens went 14-2 this year...Old Joe must have done something right...
        Yeah... like get'm some real linemen...

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

takeaway from the SB.... both Burrow and Herbert had top shelf Olines.

will be (very) disappointed if we spend our 6 overall on a QB, and.... also don't want Fromm @37, as would much prefer Cushenberry there, or Swift if he somehow fell.

and hell yeah to D. Brown, and of course to AT.
          Every time i start looking at these QBs on tape....i quickly shut things down with the idea that Telesco loves Stick. Its just the vibe i get. lol He and Taylor were forward thinking by the staff.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...line up some nice big O-line tanks, and even an average QB, as long as he avoids turnovers, can look pretty good...
            Dak.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Every time i start looking at these QBs on tape....i quickly shut things down with the idea that Telesco loves Stick. Its just the vibe i get. lol He and Taylor were forward thinking by the staff.
              That may indeed be the way it was set up.

After Burrows... the QB class gets dicey. At each and every step of the draft, there's always someone better than the next best available QB... IMO. Draft is pretty deep at certain PON (WR, RB, CB). It would be hard to pass for a QB that might turn out OK. It won't be popular to not draft a QB this year. But, I'd be OK as long as quality picks were made in mid/late rounds.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Trenchers unite! Woody's not gonna like this...

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Woody’s awesome draft has zero QBs in it!

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                    Oh man....
                    anyone have any clue as to who might be available options for OL coach???
                    How about someone from 49ers staff.???....... they obviously have a great OL coach/assistasnts and shanahan learned OL coaching/tactics from his dad who learned it from walsh's and mckitterick...... who were the best maybe ever....

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

How about someone from 49ers staff.???....... they obviously have a great OL coach/assistasnts and shanahan learned OL coaching/tactics from his dad who learned it from walsh's and mckitterick...... who were the best maybe ever....

Definitely... but would they come...? They would definitely want/need different OL players and a commitment from GM/FO to get them. If TT stays, someone will have to guide him there. It would be nice to build an OL like San Francisco's...

Funny thing is... AL comes from that lineage, too. I wonder how much say he gets come draft time...? You would think he understands the importance of the OL... and the run game. That's where I thought this organization was going when they hired AL. I thought they were transitioning from pass (Rivers eventual retirement) to run (MG). We just don't have the players yet (mainly healthy OL)

A lot of questions this off-season...

Comment

• Charge!
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Still not sold on the QBs outside of Burrows. I dont think its worth much risk if Tua or Herbert doesnt pan out though. I guess thats if its only a 6th overall. If Telesco trades up and it fails? I was certainly a lot higher on Mahomes and Watson.

I guess if someone said quick....Fleet you have 30 seconds to make a pick right now. I would go with someone i think starts from the get go and is a perennial All Star....and thats Derrick Brown. I also think Andrew Thomas makes a really good OT. Right and Left.

When you draft high...its so easy to look at all the shiny weapons....but we forget you cant wage war without tanks. And we need them bad.
                        Agree with that but with Chargers letting Rivers go, we are in a desperate need for a QB and not an older stop gap one who can play so-so for a short time.... does no good to have an OL or a DL without a QB.....

If there are no great QB's available then we must take BPA.... OL, DT, CB, LB...... please no reaching for a flawed inconstant QB's like Hebert, Love, eason, Fromm.... those guys will likely be career backups or very mediocre QB's like carson palmer, mariota, stafford, cousins, carr, dalton, ...etc..... I dont want to draft a QB unless we believe he will be a consistent top 5 in NFL type QB..... I have high standards and Chargers should have high standards...... have a bad feeling that Lynn does not have high standards as far as QB's are concerned...... he expects to win just with a running game and defense.....

Mahomes never played against a defense in college(he is lucky he got drafted by the perfect coach, with perfect system and a track team to get wide open for him to throw to)....... Burrow and Tua have lit up the best defenses in college football...... that is what makes them special and near cant miss over the flawed Hebert, love, eason, fromm....etc......

if we fix our OL and DT via FA, then we aren't desperate in those areas in draft...... picking at 6 gets us close enough to be abele to trade up for one of the top 2 QB's...... if we dont get our QB this year, but fix the OL. we will never get be able to get a QB because we will be drafting in late teens till early 20's ........

We need to know what kind of QB we will get so that we will know the type of OL and skill players to put around him.........

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                          If I remember correctly, OL coach Meyer had to get LAC permission for a lateral team transfer, OLC - OLC if his contract was in effect. Either way LAC didn't choose to keep him.
                          Many of us have wondered about apparent lack of / slow at best young OL development. Could be a positive move in the works. Let's hope.
                          TT gave us clues at the end of season SOTC presser.

He said first decisions would involve the assistant coaches.

QB coach pick will be noteworthy.
                          I am surprised about Meyers, but not too upset. Continuity vs performance.

Aaron Kromer @ LAR was Meyer's mentor. It sounds like the Rams will keep Kromer after a poor season and some soul searching. I say a LOT of that diminished Ram Oline performance was the Gurley factor. Harry Hiestand anyone ?

Big question...what philosophy, scheme will our new Oline coach have ? What will his depth chart look like ?

This sure is becoming Lynn's team.

I will arm wrestle all of you if necessary every day up to the draft.

Trenches (DBrown, JKinlaw, AThomas, TWirfs, DWills)

vs

Shiny Objects (Burrows, Herbert, Tua, Love, Jeudy, Lamb, Simmons, Young, Okudah)

I am willing to play Power Ball, pull out a ball with the name of any one out of the top ten...well here's fourteen names up above...@#6.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X