• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
    Interesting comments from Lynn yesterday. He said he’s having “a down year”. Never thought of coaches having up or down years?
    He is having down yearS.

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      McCoy had winning records his first 2 years as a head coach here and was fired after going 9-23 over his last 2 seasons. Lynn's record the past 2 seasons is 8-20 so far. There is a chance we could not even match that 9 win number.
      So every 4 years fire HC. Rinse repeat.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

They need to figure out this out as this continuous cycle is just not going to get it done.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

They need to figure out this out as this continuous cycle is just not going to get it done.
          hire a better coach. Don't hang on to a bad coach and don't hire a first time HC.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

hire a better coach. Don't hang on to a bad coach and don't hire a first time HC.
            I go back as a Chargers fan - lets say 1978. I forget who Coryell replaced but the best coaches have been - in terms of record, playoffs, etc

Coryell
            Rosa
            Marty
            Norv

The only other non first time HC was Hennings but I think the GM was that Ortmayer guy who was a mole for the Raiders. I could be wrong on history. Hell, it took Beathard his third hire to get Ross. He hired Gilbride (over Fangio) and than Mike Riley (hip hip hooray hip hip hooray)

History for The Chargers only shows hiring a head coach with experience, even with Norvs average record for the WFT and Oakland has been better than first timers. So, yes, do not hire a first time HC. I just don't want a learning curve anymore. I want somebody who can jump in and have a clue.

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

abysmally poor decision making by John & Dean.

incredibly selfish to stick to whatever their beliefs or moral compass might tell them, when retaining AL is doing damage to the psyche of this team, and may do physical damage to Herbert and others.

there is no shame in firing a guy that you gave a four year lease on life to as a HC, and who will be just fine on his own and without the Chargers.... AL is a big boy and will find another team to hire him.

this is doing harm to the organization, and on many levels.
              5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Silversurfer
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Los Angeles
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Yeah if it doesn't work

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

I go back as a Chargers fan - lets say 1978. I forget who Coryell replaced but the best coaches have been - in terms of record, playoffs, etc

Coryell
                  Rosa
                  Marty
                  Norv

The only other non first time HC was Hennings but I think the GM was that Ortmayer guy who was a mole for the Raiders. I could be wrong on history. Hell, it took Beathard his third hire to get Ross. He hired Gilbride (over Fangio) and than Mike Riley (hip hip hooray hip hip hooray)

History for The Chargers only shows hiring a head coach with experience, even with Norvs average record for the WFT and Oakland has been better than first timers. So, yes, do not hire a first time HC. I just don't want a learning curve anymore. I want somebody who can jump in and have a clue.
                  Coryell replaced Tommy Prothro five games into the season. The started 1-4 and finished 8-3. Prothro gets some credit for drafting great players.

coryell, Ross and Marty had all been successful HC’s elsewhere. Norv was mediocre as a HC before the Chargers and that proved true with the Chargers.

so hire a guy who’s been successful. As a HC. Otherwise it’s Russian Roulette and we’ve pulled the bullet every time

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Coryell replaced Tommy Prothro five games into the season. The started 1-4 and finished 8-3. Prothro gets some credit for drafting great players.

coryell, Ross and Marty had all been successful HC’s elsewhere. Norv was mediocre as a HC before the Chargers and that proved true with the Chargers.

so hire a guy who’s been successful. As a HC. Otherwise it’s Russian Roulette and we’ve pulled the bullet every time
                    Its why my short list starts with Brian Kelly but includes Chuck Pagano , Jim Caldwell and even a name like Jack Del Rio (mixed results). The ultimate for me is Urban Meyer.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Its why my short list starts with Brian Kelly but includes Chuck Pagano , Jim Caldwell and even a name like Jack Del Rio (mixed results). The ultimate for me is Urban Meyer.
                      They should have been talking to Urban Meyer after the Denver loss. He is the only guy who fits the Bill and was available. If they weren’t then, they should be now

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

They should have been talking to Urban Meyer after the Denver loss. He is the only guy who fits the Bill and was available. If they weren’t then, they should be now
                        According to who? Meyer turned down a offer from Texas and Bosa has said he dont think he is interested in the NFL.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

According to who? Meyer turned down a offer from Texas and Bosa has said he dont think he is interested in the NFL.
                          Doesn't mean you don't call him and just ask

I know Meyer's health is a concern. He has the sweet gig talking college football on Fox without the stresses. So I get why he would stay retired

But again, doesn't hurt to make the phone call

Comment

Working...
                          X