• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

It would be an interesting discussion on why the last two coaches started hot and flamed out beginning in their 3rd year(or end of 2nd).
    Their were supposed weak rosters at the end of the Norv years, McCoy years and now.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
      Pats have a secondary, an interior Oline, and mostly journeymen everywhere else. Any other coach and you are looking at a bottom 3 team. Pats had a lot of starters drop out due to covid and have had the 30th, 31rst or 32nd pick in the draft the last decade.

That Belichick has that team at 6 - 7 is a miracle. It has lots of holes that competent coaching staffs are able to exploit.
      A competent halfway decent coaching staff - not bottom 4 but maybe 15-17 in the league has the Chargers with a better record.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2020
        • Send PM

That Patriots game was so tough to watch! I will eat crow now about Lynn as head coach.. Special teams should not be that bad, period! I still like Steichen and Pep as coaches to keep if possible, but most head coaches rather bring in their own guys, so I fear that might have a negative effect on Herbert who is still not quite there as a consistent top-end QB.

Even with the mounting losses, the Chargers Herbert led offense has been mostly fun to watch. Outside of some head scratching plays, Steichen has done well with a rookie QB and an underwhelming OL unit. I actually like Tevi now. He is a big athletic guy who I can envision as a solid OL going forward.

LOL... I am officially off the Lynn bandwagon. I know some posters will think.. you are way late dude! I like Lynn as a person, but ... There are just too many things that went wrong for him this year to dismiss. And his biggest mistake was probably the trust he put in Stewart as not only special teams coach, but also as assistant head coach.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
          That Patriots game was so tough to watch! I will eat crow now about Lynn as head coach.. Special teams should not be that bad, period! I still like Steichen and Pep as coaches to keep if possible, but most head coaches rather bring in their own guys, so I fear that might have a negative effect on Herbert who is still not quite there as a consistent top-end QB.

Even with the mounting losses, the Chargers Herbert led offense has been mostly fun to watch. Outside of some head scratching plays, Steichen has done well with a rookie QB and an underwhelming OL unit. I actually like Tevi now. He is a big athletic guy who I can envision as a solid OL going forward.

LOL... I am officially off the Lynn bandwagon. I know some posters will think.. you are way late dude! I like Lynn as a person, but ... There are just too many things that went wrong for him this year to dismiss. And his biggest mistake was probably the trust he put in Stewart as not only special teams coach, but also as assistant head coach.
          I wanted both Bradley and Stewart fired at the end of last year. When they moved Steichen to OC - I wanted Jim Caldwell to be QB coach (plus mentor) to Steichen. Pep H seems to have done a good job with Herbert (as well as Lynn and Steichn).

Eric Williams when he was still blogging for ESPN said Bradley communicated well with players and was highly regarded - he tweeted me back

Now I still think Bradley should have been replaced and I was calling for Rex Ryan but there is no doubt that Stewart should have been replaced Thats on Lynn 100% and if he loses his job - so be it.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
            It would be an interesting discussion on why the last two coaches started hot and flamed out beginning in their 3rd year(or end of 2nd).
            Their were supposed weak rosters at the end of the Norv years, McCoy years and now.
            What do you think it is?

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I wanted both Bradley and Stewart fired at the end of last year. When they moved Steichen to OC - I wanted Jim Caldwell to be QB coach (plus mentor) to Steichen. Pep H seems to have done a good job with Herbert (as well as Lynn and Steichn).

Eric Williams when he was still blogging for ESPN said Bradley communicated well with players and was highly regarded - he tweeted me back

Now I still think Bradley should have been replaced and I was calling for Rex Ryan but there is no doubt that Stewart should have been replaced Thats on Lynn 100% and if he loses his job - so be it.
              I think the defense is actually getting better, but not so much in the red zone. I think Lynn forced Bradley to play more aggressive and to show different looks, but that just is not the style of defense that Bradley plays. And this change in philosophy probably had something to do with the early season defensive struggles. I think Bradley’s defensive approach is too rigid and not very adaptable to the available talent. I think he is certainly a legit defensive coordinator, but he is overly limited to certain type players he needs for his defenses to be good.

Comment

• Silversurfer
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Los Angeles
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
                I think the defense is actually getting better, but not so much in the red zone. I think Lynn forced Bradley to play more aggressive and to show different looks, but that just is not the style of defense that Bradley plays. And this change in philosophy probably had something to do with the early season defensive struggles. I think Bradley’s defensive approach is too rigid and not very adaptable to the available talent. I think he is certainly a legit defensive coordinator, but he is overly limited to certain type players he needs for his defenses to be good.
                Yeah it works when you have Legion of Boom type players. Not so much with our Legion of Gloom players.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Who is the Chargers special team coverage ace like M.Slater is for Patriots or K.Osgood. was for Chargers during the AJ Smith years.

Who is Telesco ace special teamer?
                  Does he even care to acquire and keep one?

​​​​​:dunno:
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Chargerville
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                    49ers are 5-7
                    Belicheat is 6-7
                    Did Mike and Bill forget how to coach
                    Injury talent roster maybe not ideal for them in 2020
                    Those two teams still have some respectable and/or sizable victories under their belt despite lacking talent or being decimated by injuries... and the Chargers do not.

feels like with those teams (basing this on their actual wins) you can say... give them a little more talent (or their players back) and watch out.

feels like all we’ve done (in terms of actual wins), is edge the top three teams in the up coming NFL draft.
                    Last edited by Chargerville; 12-11-2020, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

flashback to the hiring of Lynn.... some telling forum comments,

John Spanos Describes Anthony Lynn as, Essentially, the Anti-McCoy - The San Diego Union Tribune Forums
                      RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargerville View Post

Those two teams still have some respectable and/or sizable victories under their belt despite lacking talent or being decimated by injuries... and the Chargers do not.

feels like with those teams (basing this on their actual wins) you can say... give them a little more talent (or their players back) and watch out.

feels like all we’ve done (in terms of actual wins), is edge the top three teams in the up coming NFL draft.
                        "the Packer OL has used 5 different starting lineups and 9 different finishing groups.... the crazy thing is when they have an in game injury they make one adjustment and then they make a different adjustment for the start of the next game.... some guys adapt on the fly and some guys need a week to prepare.... am glad the coaches have that figured out."
                        RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

What do you think it is?
                          The players initially bought in to what they wanted to do: they brought in a fresh perspective on the team and the core players were tired of losing.
                          Early success and shit fights within the organization lessened the previous discipline; a string of injuries, bad off seasons, & teams starting to figure
                          out their tendencies set them on a downward course and players started tuning them out. The Spanos probably occupied too much of their time,
                          constantly asking them to explain the most mundane things.

Comment

Working...
                          X