• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Last 6 games. 4-2
    4-0 in one score games. 0-2 double digit losses.
    just fantastic coaching... because you know. The criteria was set by fanatics on this forum ..... that close losses means bad coaching and close wins means good coaching.
    And getting beat by double digits means bad talent.
    :larry:

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
      Last 6 games. 4-2
      4-0 in one score games. 0-2 double digit losses.
      just fantastic coaching... because you know. The criteria was set by fanatics on this forum ..... that close losses means bad coaching and close wins means good coaching.
      And getting beat by double digits means bad talent.
      :larry:

Fantastic... all our wins are against teams with losing records. The Raiders are the best team we have beat with a defense that has allowed 447 points.

That should make you proud of Lynn but at least he won 2 division games this year and is now 2-9 the past two seasons. He can make it three against KCs second string.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

With Herbert's miracle rookie season, this team should have been competing for the playoffs - every football junkie would have been onboard with this notion in the preseason
        (even after the James injury).
        Instead, they are wiping the turds off the bathroom floor to close out the season.

Chargers are winning these close nail biters against the league's dregs because they have the only queen on the chess board: Herbert.
        No other reason.

1 playoffs in 4 years (& they got humiliated in New England).....should have been at least 2

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lol, wow.
          Luck threw 627 passes as a rookie...... Completing 54%, and they were 11-5.

Bad teams like Burrows and ours throw alot too. So yes anyone who would break the record is going to throw a lot so I don't get your reason there.
          With 36 passes against KC, Herbert will hit 600 in 15 games. I'm guessing we throw more than 36 times if they want him to get the record or we are losing.

You know like the 53 passes we threw against NE and the 52 the week before against Buffalo. The 49 attempts the week before that against the lowly Jets. 44 against Atlanta, etc.

Elis rating as a rookie was 55.....hardly what Burrows is.
          Brady doesn't have a great arm either, but can throw long. All fine. Nobody is throwing a 70-80 in air pass.

Sorry but nobody would agree with you that Burrow had a below average season. Every time they mention him they say he was having a good season as I and everybody here has said that comment about him.
          Oh, believe me, I agree 100% that Burrow is overrated. The views of others is precisely what proves my point.

Being 27th in passer rating conclusively establishes that Burrow did not have a good season. There really is no debating that point just like it cannot be debated with respect to 2019's 27th ranked passer, Jameis Winston, and his 30 INTs. People can argue that Burrow played well and they are wrong when they do so, all of them. 20th or worse in completion percentage and YPA and 30th or worse in TD% means that Burrow did not do well.

If you let any NFL level dipstick QB throw 1,000 passes, I can almost guarantee you that the single season passing yards record is going down as the QB would only need a terrible YPA of just under 5.5 to break that record. And if that happened, I would not necessarily be impressed at all. That is where my Eli Manning example comes into play. 57,000+ yards for Eli sounds like a good accomplishment, but Eli's numbers were generally below average for his entire career. Statistically, he was not even a league average QB.

And that is the point about Burrow being on pace to break Luck's record. Burrow's YPA is 6.7 which is not good. So, if he were to break the record that would not have been all that impressive when most QBs have a YPA of at least 7.0.

Finally, regarding arm strength, Burrow opened the season going 2-25 on passes traveling 20+ yards in the air. You can pretend that that means nothing if you want, but I think the stat is pretty telling. Whatever Burrow's strength are, throwing passes with higher air yards is not among them. He has a slightly below average arm. Of course that matters.

It does mean that he cannot succeed, but it does suggest that he has certain limitations to his game. To be clear, I am not calling his arm Chad Pennington weak, but I also do not see any obvious examples of starting QBs that have a weaker arm either.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
            With Herbert's miracle rookie season, this team should have been competing for the playoffs - every football junkie would have been onboard with this notion in the preseason
            (even after the James injury).
            Instead, they are wiping the turds off the bathroom floor to close out the season.

Chargers are winning these close nail biters against the league's dregs because they have the only queen on the chess board: Herbert.
            No other reason.

1 playoffs in 4 years (& they got humiliated in New England).....should have been at least 2
            Andy Reid has been kicking the Chargers butts for 8 years - first with McCoy now Lynn, all with Telesco and than John Boy. Add in a couple years of Norvous time and its what 2 playofss in 10 years. That just is not good

If that report is true about Urban kicking the tires on the Chargers and Jaguars - the Chargers should make the damn call. And the ESPN guys with the 50/50 about Lynn (and Telesco) should be 99/1 they both go. Fire them both. Give Urban the keys to the team to hire a GM

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Can anyone come up with a list of what positions you have to take to get on Chaincrushers good side?

#1. A Lynn is the worst head coach in Charger history

#2. Joe Burrow is a below average qb who was way overhyped during the draft process. Might make a middle of the road starter some day; maybe just a useful backup.

Que mas?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Oh, believe me, I agree 100% that Burrow is overrated. The views of others is precisely what proves my point.
                Did i say that? Has anybody said that? Nope, just you.

Being 27th in passer rating conclusively establishes that Burrow did not have a good season. There really is no debating that point just like it cannot be debated with respect to 2019's 27th ranked passer, Jameis Winston, and his 30 INTs. People can argue that Burrow played well and they are wrong when they do so, all of them. 20th or worse in completion percentage and YPA and 30th or worse in TD% means that Burrow did not do well.
                Actually it means little to a rookie. Again, Eli's rating was 55 and he has 2 rings and will be a HOF. Rivers first year starting was 92...2.2 points higher which is probably an extra completions or two. His next season it was 82.4. Peyton Mannings rookie rating was 71, next season 90 or .2 points higher than Burrows rookie season.
                IMO you arguing that is irrelevent but its fits your agenda and we all know what that is.

If you let any NFL level dipstick QB throw 1,000 passes, I can almost guarantee you that the single season passing yards record is going down as the QB would only need a terrible YPA of just under 5.5 to break that record. And if that happened, I would not necessarily be impressed at all. That is where my Eli Manning example comes into play. 57,000+ yards for Eli sounds like a good accomplishment, but Eli's numbers were generally below average for his entire career. Statistically, he was not even a league average QB.
                That is correct but it is a basis for your argument that Burrow threw a lot of passes to be on pace...lol. I guess that dont work for you now considering Herbert is throwing as many?

And that is the point about Burrow being on pace to break Luck's record. Burrow's YPA is 6.7 which is not good. So, if he were to break the record that would not have been all that impressive when most QBs have a YPA of at least 7.0.
                Who cares? Lucks YPA was 7.0. Herberts in only 7.2 so not like he is up in the top 5 in the league. Peyton Mannings YPA was 6.5 as a rookie. Its really means little. Just means YAC for WRs are better or they are throwing more deep balls that are completed. Keenan Allens yards per target is only 6.7 yards for example. He isnt very fast so his YAC isnt going to be high but that stat is hard to find.

AJ Greens yards per target is only 5.3.(47 receptions) So there are many factors determining this stat you hold so dear but there are factors determining that.
                Its not like Burrow is playing on a good team. He as a worse OL than we do. They have 1 RB with a YPC of over 4 and he only has 54 rushes and one was a 46 yard run. The others are 3.6 and below.
                If you throw alot of WR screens and your blocking sux, they arent gong to work very well.

Finally, regarding arm strength, Burrow opened the season going 2-25 on passes traveling 20+ yards in the air. You can pretend that that means nothing if you want, but I think the stat is pretty telling. Whatever Burrow's strength are, throwing passes with higher air yards is not among them. He has a slightly below average arm. Of course that matters.
                It matters to you i guess. He is a rookie ill remind you again, with a bad OL. The top 5 career passing leaders, only Favre has a real good arm. Brees, Brady, Peyton, & Rivers, do not. But they are good enough and so is Burrows.

It does mean that he cannot succeed, but it does suggest that he has certain limitations to his game. To be clear, I am not calling his arm Chad Pennington weak, but I also do not see any obvious examples of starting QBs that have a weaker arm either.
                To your dismay....for whatever reason you care so much...he will succeed. Even as a Bengal which is a shame that he is one. And those top 5 QBs i named above not named Favre...all had limitations when they were drafted. Its called work ethic to overcome them and ive read nothing that suggests Burrow wont be the same way.

You are over thinking this. Nothing wrong with Burrow except in your mind which was there in college when he was setting records for best QB season ever by a college player.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Did i say that? Has anybody said that? Nope, just you.

Actually it means little to a rookie. Again, Eli's rating was 55 and he has 2 rings and will be a HOF. Rivers first year starting was 92...2.2 points higher which is probably an extra completions or two. His next season it was 82.4. Peyton Mannings rookie rating was 71, next season 90 or .2 points higher than Burrows rookie season.
                  IMO you arguing that is irrelevent but its fits your agenda and we all know what that is.

That is correct but it is a basis for your argument that Burrow threw a lot of passes to be on pace...lol. I guess that dont work for you now considering Herbert is throwing as many?

Who cares? Lucks YPA was 7.0. Herberts in only 7.2 so not like he is up in the top 5 in the league. Peyton Mannings YPA was 6.5 as a rookie. Its really means little. Just means YAC for WRs are better or they are throwing more deep balls that are completed. Keenan Allens yards per target is only 6.7 yards for example. He isnt very fast so his YAC isnt going to be high but that stat is hard to find.

AJ Greens yards per target is only 5.3.(47 receptions) So there are many factors determining this stat you hold so dear but there are factors determining that.
                  Its not like Burrow is playing on a good team. He as a worse OL than we do. They have 1 RB with a YPC of over 4 and he only has 54 rushes and one was a 46 yard run. The others are 3.6 and below.
                  If you throw alot of WR screens and your blocking sux, they arent gong to work very well.

It matters to you i guess. He is a rookie ill remind you again, with a bad OL. The top 5 career passing leaders, only Favre has a real good arm. Brees, Brady, Peyton, & Rivers, do not. But they are good enough and so is Burrows.

To your dismay....for whatever reason you care so much...he will succeed. Even as a Bengal which is a shame that he is one. And those top 5 QBs i named above not named Favre...all had limitations when they were drafted. Its called work ethic to overcome them and ive read nothing that suggests Burrow wont be the same way.

You are over thinking this. Nothing wrong with Burrow except in your mind which was there in college when he was setting records for best QB season ever by a college player.
                  You stated that lots of people believed that Burrow played well this year. That proves he is overrated (since he did not play well this year).

27th in QB rating means "did not play well". That pretty much ends the discussion. Seriously, there is just no way around that.

You keep using the word "rookie", which I never used when I stated that Burrow did not play well. I said that he did not play well versus all other QBs. You challenged my position by introducing a bunch of "for a rookie" nonsense. Burrow either played well by the standard set by NFL QBs as a whole or he did not. I maintain the latter. The stats prove I am right and, again, that is pretty much the end of it.

Burrow's low YPA shows that his potential obtaining of the rookie passing yards record would be based more on attempts than on quality of performance. Again, that is just a fact, really nothing there to debate. The low YPA (27th) speaks for itself.

Burrow's low YPA also reflects his struggles with throwing deeper passes because it means fewer completions overall and fewer longer completions to bump up his average. If you are completing less than 10% of your passes traveling greater than 20 yards in the air (2-25 to begin the season), you definitely have a problem completing longer passes.

Look at completions of greater than 20 yards by QBs this year and tell me that the number for Burrow compared to his number of attempts does not stand out like a sore thumb versus other QBs. It does and if you maintain to the contrary, then you are not being truthful.

Nobody is suggesting that Burrow does not have the skills to play QB in the NFL, just that his arm strength is an issue for him that adversely impacts his game more than that of other QBs.

Comment

• Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                    Can anyone come up with a list of what positions you have to take to get on Chaincrushers good side?

#1. A Lynn is the worst head coach in Charger history

#2. Joe Burrow is a below average qb who was way overhyped during the draft process. Might make a middle of the road starter some day; maybe just a useful backup.

Que mas?
                    You have misstated my second position. I merely stated that Burrow did not play well this season and further stated that I expected him to improve next season. I do believe he is overrated by most (as many consider him to be a once in a generation prospect and clearly the best QB of this year's draft class and I do not) and that this year's result supports my position more than that of those who believe to the contrary. I think there are already some indications that he may not be a once in a generation type player. No QB that has actually played well for the season taken as a whole finishes 27th in QB rating. That means 26 others played better. There are only 32 starters. It is a low ranking.

As for my position regarding Lynn, I rank Lynn dead last in Chargers history because nobody has done less with more than Lynn has done for us. We have 6 wins despite having a playoff caliber team. I can point to specific poor coaching approaches that led to losses in more than half a dozen games this season. The coaches that won fewer games as a percentage than Lynn all had very limited talent on their rosters. If Ryan Leaf is your QB, I do not expect you to win games as a head coach. But if Philip Rivers and Justin Herbert are, then you are expected to win much more (though the 2013 team had very little talent after Rivers and a small handful of other players).

I also think that Norv Turner did a poor job because he, like Lynn, habitually underachieved based upon the talent he had, though not by as much as Lynn has.

Coryell and Ross did well even with teams that had clear weaknesses. McCoy might have had the single greatest season of overachievement in team history with the result he had with the 2013 team. However, McCoy did poorly after that season.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

:below:

.....The future is bright in Cincinnati
                      The Bengals challenged Joe Burrow from the opening snap, with a different offense than he ran at LSU. The result was a promising sign for his development.

Joe is much more going to be a precision guy and pick-you-apart....the 23-year-old has offset the lack of velocity with his timing and accuracy. When it comes to dicing defenses at a medium range, Burrow is already among the best in the NFL. On intermediate throws (between 10 and 19 air yards), Burrow leads the NFL with 657 passing yards and a total EPA of 32.8, which ranks fifth in that category, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. To put that in perspective, the four quarterbacks who are better are some of the league's most proficient passers this season: Patrick Mahomes, Dak Prescott, Josh Allen and Ryan Tannehill.
                      No other regular starter has struggled more on passes thrown 20-plus yards. But fretting over that is worrying about the wrong aspect of Burrow's game.

According to Pro Football Focus, Burrow ranks second among all quarterbacks since 2006 in passes 10-19 yards downfield through eight games.
                      Burrow is the second-best quarterback at intermediate throws that PFF has ever ranked.

........... A franchise quaterback-type performance, some would say.
                      As impressive as Burrow's throw was, the catch by receiver Tyler Boyd was the real reason is play was so incredible.

WAIT!!! :deadhorse: BUT HE DOES NOT HAVE ARM STRENGTH SO HE ISN'T SPECIAL.
                      :goofylol:
                      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

You stated that lots of people believed that Burrow played well this year. That proves he is overrated (since he did not play well this year).

27th in QB rating means "did not play well". That pretty much ends the discussion. Seriously, there is just no way around that.

You keep using the word "rookie", which I never used when I stated that Burrow did not play well. I said that he did not play well versus all other QBs. You challenged my position by introducing a bunch of "for a rookie" nonsense. Burrow either played well by the standard set by NFL QBs as a whole or he did not. I maintain the latter. The stats prove I am right and, again, that is pretty much the end of it.

Burrow's low YPA shows that his potential obtaining of the rookie passing yards record would be based more on attempts than on quality of performance. Again, that is just a fact, really nothing there to debate. The low YPA (27th) speaks for itself.

Burrow's low YPA also reflects his struggles with throwing deeper passes because it means fewer completions overall and fewer longer completions to bump up his average. If you are completing less than 10% of your passes traveling greater than 20 yards in the air (2-25 to begin the season), you definitely have a problem completing longer passes.

Look at completions of greater than 20 yards by QBs this year and tell me that the number for Burrow compared to his number of attempts does not stand out like a sore thumb versus other QBs. It does and if you maintain to the contrary, then you are not being truthful.

Nobody is suggesting that Burrow does not have the skills to play QB in the NFL, just that his arm strength is an issue for him that adversely impacts his game more than that of other QBs.
                        You are just a stubborn stats guy.

You dont know or care about factors that mean nothing for some of these stats. Go ahead and ignore other QBs stats that were worse as rookies .

Let me ask,... If Herbert breaks the rookie yards record, are you going to acknowledge his many passes for an average of 40 passes a game( which you used for Burrow being on pace for it) to do it which will be over 600 for the season if he does,.... or are you going to relish it and tell us how you always said he was the best QB prospect last year?

Im done reading repeated BS that means little to your arguements.

I dont care about 20 yard completions or YPA that is around where other rookie QBs were before him. Herberts is .5 better. Lucks was .3 better. BFD.

He is a rookie who has had WAY better seasons than other rookies who are pro bowlers.
                        There is nothing wrong with his arm! Holy fucking shit bro, Brees arm is not strong and he leads the league in most career passing yards ever. Rivers, the guy you argue for over and over doesnt have a great arm is #5.

Just Done!
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-03-2021, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                          :below:

.....The future is bright in Cincinnati
                          https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/09/16/jo...ooks-promising

Joe is much more going to be a precision guy and pick-you-apart....the 23-year-old has offset the lack of velocity with his timing and accuracy. When it comes to dicing defenses at a medium range, Burrow is already among the best in the NFL. On intermediate throws (between 10 and 19 air yards), Burrow leads the NFL with 657 passing yards and a total EPA of 32.8, which ranks fifth in that category, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. To put that in perspective, the four quarterbacks who are better are some of the league's most proficient passers this season: Patrick Mahomes, Dak Prescott, Josh Allen and Ryan Tannehill.
                          https://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati...rn-for-bengals

According to Pro Football Focus, Burrow ranks second among all quarterbacks since 2006 in passes 10-19 yards downfield through eight games.
                          Burrow is the second-best quarterback at intermediate throws that PFF has ever ranked.
                          https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/11/...eps-rolling-in

........... A franchise quaterback-type performance, some would say.
                          https://www.golfdigest.com/story/joe...d-camera-angle

WAIT!!! :deadhorse: BUT HE DOES NOT HAVE ARM STRENGTH SO HE ISN'T SPECIAL.
                          :goofylol:
                          Im sure he will find a meaningless stat for all that lol.

Ben Rothlisbergers 6.3 YPA this season is awful, he must suck...oh wait, he is going in the HOF... well his team must suck.....Oh wait, they are 12-3

Comment

Working...
                          X