Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

He offers the advantage of being better than Kelley.
    And he spent two season with the current OC, so familiarity there may be an advantage.
    And you only sign him for 1 year anyway.

Kelley is not NFL caliber backup. If he gets cut, nobody will pick him up and they can add him to practice squad if they want to keep Kelley.
    Kelley isn’t AE’s primary backup.
    JJacks will be the first guy off the bench.
    L. Rountree will be RB3 and core ST.
    Kelley will be RB4 and core ST or inactive.
    — Kelley is younger and has only ran behind the Bolt’s 2020 OL in his lone NFL season
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

— Kelley is younger and has only ran behind the Bolt’s 2020 OL in his lone NFL season
      Well.....he is by default lol. JJ won't be healthy. Not sure he is now. Roundtree is listed as the last RB on the depth chart.

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Kelley is not NFL caliber player, IMO. We saw his blown block get Daniels rocked for a pick 6 last pre season game. His 10yd split was absolutely awful and screamed he won't get through the hole before it closes at NFL level. And that same line that he went 3.2 per carry. Ekeler went 4.6 per carry. A full yard and half better. And it's all because of burst, 10yd split. Ekeler is elite. Kelley is well below avg. Murray still has above avg burst, better than the younger Kelley.

We should also want to do things that help the franchise QB JH10. The 6'3 230 Murray is still one of the best pass-protecting backs in the NFL. Graded top 10 since 2014 for RBs with at least 200 pass block attempts. I'd rather have Murray and his experience in Lombardi system backing up Ekeler for this season than JJ or Roundtree or Kelley.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Kelley is not NFL caliber player, IMO. We saw his blown block get Daniels rocked for a pick 6 last pre season game. His 10yd split was absolutely awful and screamed he won't get through the hole before it closes at NFL level. And that same line that he went 3.2 per carry. Ekeler went 4.6 per carry. A full yard and half better. And it's all because of burst, 10yd split. Ekeler is elite. Kelley is well below avg. Murray still has above avg burst, better than the younger Kelley.

We should also want to do things that help the franchise QB JH10. The 6'3 230 Murray is still one of the best pass-protecting backs in the NFL. Graded top 10 since 2014 for RBs with at least 200 pass block attempts. I'd rather have Murray and his experience in Lombardi system backing up Ekeler for this season than JJ or Roundtree or Kelley.

Hard to argue with that logic soooo....TT Pay the man!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

He offers the advantage of being better than Kelley.
            And he spent two season with the current OC, so familiarity there may be an advantage.
            And you only sign him for 1 year anyway.

Kelley is not NFL caliber backup. If he gets cut, nobody will pick him up and they can add him to practice squad if they want to keep Kelley.
            I agree with Ninja on this one if Kelley is presumed to be a key contributor on Special Teams

If this were just about like you said - familiarity with offense, running the ball - probably take Murray

But, if Kelley has a full workload on Special Teams -- have to keep Kelley

The Chargers NEED better special teams this year. I look at it this way - what is better for your team

Murray as back up RB + say Rountree as your ST player

Or Rountree as your back up RB and Kelley as your ST player

I am probably picking the scenario with the BEST ST player

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Since Lombardi is very familiar with Murray I'm sure we'd pick him up if the coaching staff felt he'd improve the team. Since we haven't signed him, that is a pretty good indication they don't feel that (or perhaps will wait until after the first game when his contract would not be guaranteed).

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                Since Lombardi is very familiar with Murray I'm sure we'd pick him up if the coaching staff felt he'd improve the team. Since we haven't signed him, that is a pretty good indication they don't feel that (or perhaps will wait until after the first game when his contract would not be guaranteed).
                right - wait until next week to sign veterans - like you said, no guaranteed...

I remember when the Chargers sign an (old washed up) Neil Smith after Game 1 -

Comment

• OhioBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Kelley had one long run and that was the opener against since last year the whole was wide open, he lacks vision and isn't very instinctive he is a waste of a roster position, still not understand the cut Tyron Johnson, but we should drop Kelley and get Latavius Murray unless he is after big $$$$, there are better ways to fill the roster, there are guys you can bring in and give a physical and try out like OT Mitchell Shwartz or RB Todd Gurley these guys are older and coming off injuries shouldn't cost much if they are physically able to go, but to keep Kelley is a complete waste.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
                    Kelley had one long run and that was the opener against since last year the whole was wide open, he lacks vision and isn't very instinctive he is a waste of a roster position, still not understand the cut Tyron Johnson, but we should drop Kelley and get Latavius Murray unless he is after big $$$$, there are better ways to fill the roster, there are guys you can bring in and give a physical and try out like OT Mitchell Shwartz or RB Todd Gurley these guys are older and coming off injuries shouldn't cost much if they are physically able to go, but to keep Kelley is a complete waste.
                    It will be interesting to see the player movement around the NFL after week 1 when these contracts are not guaranteed for veterans.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

Although Mitchell Schwartz. He thought his recovery woodbe quick from back surgery in February, his recovery has been slow and he is not available yet.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                        • Feb 2019
                        • McLean Illinois
                        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                        • Send PM

People are worried about our RB room, but I am not. Rountree is a rookie, but so what? So many guys have some great years, often one of their better years, as rookies at that position....look at my boy James Robinson from my Illinois State University...and Rountree is just as talented...if JJ goes down, I got no problem with this kid taking some of the workload off Ekelor's shoulders...Kelley has been disappointing because he isn't remarkable....but he is serviceable too. If Eke goes down, there are plenty of savvy vets out there who can come in to help Rountree along, taking critical snaps if the kid seems a little behind on protections...but I'm optimistic he will be fine....better oline and plenty of other weapons...no reason to window shop on guys like Murray, and blow salary cap space in a panic buy.

We all good here....
                        The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I agree with Ninja on this one if Kelley is presumed to be a key contributor on Special Teams

If this were just about like you said - familiarity with offense, running the ball - probably take Murray

But, if Kelley has a full workload on Special Teams -- have to keep Kelley

The Chargers NEED better special teams this year. I look at it this way - what is better for your team

Murray as back up RB + say Rountree as your ST player

Or Rountree as your back up RB and Kelley as your ST player

I am probably picking the scenario with the BEST ST player
                          Kelley whiffed on special teams block last year causing a kick to get block.

Ekeler was a DNP with hamstring today.

There is no reliable experience back up on the depth chart at RB.

Kelley also puts the ball on the ground too much in his short career. Murray is very reliable rock protector.

Adding the vet Murray for this season makes sense to me.

He was just released and deals don't always happen within 24 hours. I'd expect him to be signed somewhere. I'm hoping it with LAC.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X