• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Agree, seems like he's tired. He needs a good night's sleep and he'll be talking their ears off tomorrow.
    Tired after 5 games? Sheesh

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Time to gel. That used to be the punchline about the OL. They just need time to gel.
      Last 2 weeks they have started to really gel and put it together.

Comment

• Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

This is what is wrong with the Staley hire. JH is our best asset on his rookie contract. A head coach with an extensive offensive background like Daboll would have really helped JH. Instead Staley comes in and changes the entire offense and defense. And the defense has not improved enough to support the Staley hire.
        Daboll has a system that he has used over the years as well--a very good one, so he would have changed the offense as well. That said, he was the candidate that I preferred because his offense attacks down the field and it had success with Josh Allen, who is the closest QB to Herbert in the league in terms of physical ability.

Defensively, it looks like Daboll preferred to go with an aggressive, attacking DC, which is also the style that I like best, though Martindale was not available in 2021. I think Martindale is the best DC in the NFL. To me, that attacking style fits so much better with Herbert than our deep shell concepts. If we truly have superior talent, then we want more possessions for both teams, not fewer possessions, as more possessions tend to make scoring between teams diverge.

I am pretty convinced that Staley's system does not really work at all unless you have game changing dominant players that would thrive in many different kinds of systems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Daniel Jones currently has 3TDs and 2 Ints for the entire season. Not for a game but 5 so far. It feels like there should be more there.
          The brilliance of Daboll is that he knows he has a limited QB in Jones, so he is using him completely differently than he used Allen in Buffalo. The Giants are 30th in percentage of passing plays run at 47.62%. Last year, Daboll passed the ball about 12% more frequently with Allen, clearly demonstrating that he tailors his game plans to the players he has, not to some predestined system.

And, of course, the Giants are winning because of Wink Martindale's top 10 pass and scoring defense. Securing Martindale was big time win for the Giants. I would take him over Staley as a DC any day of the week.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I still think by week 12-14 the D will be in full swing. Just in time for a playoff run.

Give them time to gel, that is a lot of extra parts we brought in and they need to grow together in the defense.
            I agree, I was pleased with the way the defense played the browns in the 2nd half, it took brissett making some heroic type runs and great passes on 3rd and long to keep them in the game. The defense is going to improve and JC Jackson is playing hurt, so he’ll continue to get better as his health improves, by the time bosa is read to return this defense is going to be much better than it is now…
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I agree, I was pleased with the way the defense played the browns in the 2nd half, it took brissett making some heroic type runs and great passes on 3rd and long to keep them in the game. The defense is going to improve and JC Jackson is playing hurt, so he’ll continue to get better as his health improves, by the time bosa is read to return this defense is going to be much better than it is now…
              Hope you’re right. As others noted I prefer a more aggressive style. It’s funny with Staley, he like to be super risky on offense with his calls but on defense he’s risk averse and they play like that. Personality crisis. Schizo

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Daniel Jones currently has 3TDs and 2 Ints for the entire season. Not for a game but 5 so far. It feels like there should be more there.
                His stats don’t tell the whole story, daboll has made jones look like he has a clue, he’s playing smarter football and protecting the ball, he’s also getting more out of barkley than anyone else had, great coaches can tap into the potential their players have, I’m really impressed with daboll…
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Hope you’re right. As others noted I prefer a more aggressive style. It’s funny with Staley, he like to be super risky on offense with his calls but on defense he’s risk averse and they play like that. Personality crisis. Schizo
                  The times he has been aggressive, we got burned badly in the Jags game.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

The times he has been aggressive, we got burned badly in the Jags game.
                    All his 4th down calls don’t work but you don’t hear him backing off that. Blitzers have got home for the Chargers. I cant understand why he doesn’t do that more often. We got no pressure on Brissett

Comment

• Tomdutchy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      Staley subdued at today's presser.
                      The pressure of knowing you made a dipshit call and the whole football world knows it. Also, probably the palpable distance he is feeling from his players this week. Thats what you get when your most veteran and respected player tweeted WTF are we doing?: You cant put that lost respect genie back in the bottle so easily.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Tomdutchy View Post

The pressure of knowing you made a dipshit call and the whole football world knows it. Also, probably the palpable distance he is feeling from his players this week. Thats what you get when your most veteran and respected player tweeted WTF are we doing?: You cant put that lost respect genie back in the bottle so easily.
                        You could just as easily argue that Staley saw the tape of the CLE game and identified problems with our coverages, tackling and player development.

This is the time of year when opponents have game tape to study.

The endless cycles of football translate into teams seeing chances for big runs vs "put a roof over them" defenses.

There is a possibility of us as fans having football takes, or of us picking low hanging fruit.

Many of the people in that room asking questions were recently highly critical and personal toward Staley, and his reaction is to be expected.

Monday is another new challenge, another new chance to bury "chargering."

We'll see what kind of football the team puts out there.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Tomdutchy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

You could just as easily argue that Staley saw the tape of the CLE game and identified problems with our coverages, tackling and player development.

This is the time of year when opponents have game tape to study.

The endless cycles of football translate into teams seeing chances for big runs vs "put a roof over them" defenses.

Yeah I was gonna add his putting a low priority at LB because that is "his system" has backfired. We should have resigned Kyzir White for cheap like we could have. Imagine if we had ONE stiud LB how much better our run defense would be, but were stuck with Murray, Fox, Reeder, etc. A good coach looks at his situation and adjusts. I bet Staley goes to the same coffee shop, eats the same breakfast, believes his same system shit that worked before is foolproof, etc. Dude is in such a rut I hear the Panama Canal wants to hire him to dig their next canal.

Comment

Working...
                          X