• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

So many great QBs in AFC. Herbert i only 24 and I think hasnt reached close to his full potential yet. Question is ..are the right people ,,,and weapons... around him to enable him to reach his highest level?

I know one thing for sure...Joe Lombardi is not the best OC out there for the job
    Around the league teams have ups and downs.
    It's a QB driven league.
    Those QBs need good OL.
    The great teams protect the QB and get after opponents QB.
    Bosa, Slater, Linsley are key players.
    Brandon Staley wanted to be a line of scrimmage team. He said it when he was hired and the off season moves prove it.
    Problem is...most of them are on IR right now.
    Really unfortunate. I like the philosophy and strategy.
    It's only halfway into year 2 and they have a better than 50% chance to make playoffs right now, in spite of all these injury to line of scrimmage players. They don't make penalty. Special teams is good. It's not a badly coached team from what I see. They just aren't good enough ......or healthy enough.....yet.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

wow, this message board will shit on just about anybody. did you notice the super bowl ring on Payton's finger?? and he did not ride any coat tails, Payton ran the show in New Orleans. I can see an argument against paying high draft picks to get Payton, but it is hard to question the resume. btw, who do you want as head coach??
      I want Jim Harbaugh. If we can't get him, find the next great coach. They all had their first head-coaching job at some point.

Did you notice that no head coach has ever won a Super Bowl, gone to another team, and won another Super Bowl? Bill Parcells...Tom Flores...Jimmy Johnson...Mike Holmgren...George Seifert...Mike Ditka...Mike Shanahan...all of them couldn't do it with the next team...and in Parcells' case the second, third, and fourth time around.

On top of that, I'm not a fan of Payton's style and overall history. I mentioned the playoff games his teams lost when they should have won. He also squandered three straight years of Brees's prime: 2014 through 2016. I also don't see him as a good fit with Herbert. I can see it transpiring in a similar manner to what happened between Jimmy Johnson and Dan Marino.
      Last edited by DerwinBosa; 12-06-2022, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Not my point - Reid’s playoff record was no better than Payton’s is. Not sure how this couldn’t be seen as a massive upgrade.
        Your point was based off of one sentence I wrote while ignoring the rest. Their resumes are not equal, although I would set my goals higher than one Super Bowl victory in the 23 years Reid has been a head coach.

Reid also got to the playoffs and won postseason games with Donovan McNabb, Jeff Garcia (playing for an injured McNabb in 2006), and Michael Vick.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I think it's much more simple..how many of these HC had their great QB go with them to another team.

We seen Tom Brady and Peyton Manning win SB with different teams.

It's a QB driven league. And it's about players making plays.
          The AFC has Burrow, Mahomes, Allen that Herbert needs to beat if he and Staley or Payton or any other HC "insert name here" wants to win the AFC and win the Superbowl.

Herbert is the 4th best QB in AFC.
          2nd best QB in AFC West.

Chargers are 2nd place in West.
          I'm not surprised. Especially with all these quality starters on IR right now for Chargers.

Bringing up how Brady and Peyton won Super Bowls with two different teams is completely irrelevant to the point I was making. Aside from the reality Peyton couldn't throw the ball over 15 yards in 2015, he was benched for a handful of games in favor of Brock Osweiler that year, and Tom Brady won his Super Bowl with the Bucs when the Chiefs had junior varsity level offensive linemen blocking for Mahomes, quarterback and head coach are completely different positions.

And Bill Parcells never had a great quarterback. Simms, Hostetler, Bledsoe, Testaverde, and Romo were all good enough to win with, though. Jimmy Johnson had Dan Marino in Miami. Mike Ditka never had a great quarterback. Mike Holmgren turned Matt Hasselback into a Pro Bowler in Seattle. Tom Flores never had a great quarterback. The only head coaches who had major downgrades at quarterback with their second teams were George Seifert and Mike Shanahan.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Thought he was so nice he said it twice
            I did. Nothing gets by you, sir.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

It's a QB driven league.
              Those QBs need good OL.
              Brandon Staley wanted to be a line of scrimmage team. He said it when he was hired and the off season moves prove it.
              It's only halfway into year 2 and they have a better than 50% chance to make playoffs right now, in spite of all these injury to line of scrimmage players. They don't make penalty. Special teams is good. It's not a badly coached team from what I see. They just aren't good enough ......or healthy enough.....yet.
              Look the injuries this year have been ridiculous and relentless no question. Not sure i can fully give the coaching a pass though.

Staleys team.... cant stop the run...have no running game of their own....have no pass rush...cant protect the QB....what else is there in football you have to figure out?

The o line is the only area i can fully chalk up to injuries though. They were brutal stopping the run last year too. As for the pass rush sure they lost Bosa, but that was week 2 and it is now week 14 and there is ZERO pass rush for many weeks....good coaching and management has to figure out something by now

If you subsribe to The Athletic i would suggest reading Poppers article today. Staley talks alot but really doesnt seem to have any answers to change the results.

This team has not really played a full solid game all season long and has yet to beat one good opponent.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

It's a QB driven league.
                Those QBs need good OL.
                If posters were to scrutinize game film, they would see a whole bunch of almosts. There are times that momentum swings and opportunities are missed.

We are only in year two of Staley and his ideas. Let them continue to develop, with healthier personnel, additions and subtractings, fine tuning our depth to fit Staley's scheme.

It is shocking to see posters calling for things that will inevitably perpetuate failure. The answers are simple but not easy.

I think most expect us to lose to the Dolphins, but I see our competitive Chargers players bouncing back. As always, it is and should be, one game at a time.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Because he actually makes the playoffs?

And because he will know how to unleash Herbert's potential fully, not handcuff him
                  And because he actually WON a Super Bowl?

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Look the injuries this year have been ridiculous and relentless no question. Not sure i can fully give the coaching a pass though.

Staley's team.... cant stop the run...have no running game of their own....have no pass rush...cant protect the QB....what else is there in football you have to figure out?

The o line is the only area i can fully chalk up to injuries though. They were brutal stopping the run last year too. As for the pass rush sure they lost Bosa, but that was week 2 and it is now week 14 and there is ZERO pass rush for many weeks....good coaching and management has to figure out something by now

If you subscribe to The Athletic i would suggest reading Poppers article today. Staley talks a lot but really doesn't seem to have any answers to change the results.

This team has not really played a full solid game all season long and has yet to beat one good opponent.
                    Not sure why some posters back Staley. He gives good interviews, is all touchy-feely and into kum ba yah and all, but simply doesn't get the job done. The injuries *have* been significant. But to expect a team - any team - to go through an entire season without substantial time lost to starters is a pipe dream, and that's when it falls on the coaching staff to make things work with the players that are healthy. And Staley and Co have obviously not made things work, not even a little bit.

Now some of that falls on the FO, too. If Telesco has failed to fill the roster with capable depth - which he hasn't - then that's on him. So it's really the combination of bad roster building (Telesco) and bad coaching (Staley) with the players on the roster. Not a great combination to back if you expect this team to be anything more than they have been for years, i.e., mediocre to poor.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

As recently as earlier this year, it was almost universally accepted that the Rams way was THE way in 2022 and beyond.

After all, they have Super Bowl winning Head Coach Sean McVie and purported genius Les Sneed.

The Rams are now a real mess. They have gaping weaknesses.

We have an offensive line. Rams don't.

We have Justin Herbert. They have rapidly aging Matthew Stafford.

Rams have Jalen Ramsey, fallen off a cliff, and Aaron Donald, but little else.

Chargers have some difference makers on defense...see Derwin and bookends Mack/Bosa.

Do not make the mistake of equating one challenging season, with being completely off track.

I fully expect Brandon Staley and Renaldo Hill get get this defense to middle of the pack, with a winning scoring defense.

Joe Lombardi, with the pieces he needs will get our offense to near the top in scoring offense.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

The NFL is where people, including players, and including coaches, are put in their place.

Then they bounce back.

It happens every day.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2022
                          • White Rock, BC Canada
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Not sure why some posters back Staley. He gives good interviews, is all touchy-feely and into kum ba yah and all, but simply doesn't get the job done. The injuries *have* been significant. But to expect a team - any team - to go through an entire season without substantial time lost to starters is a pipe dream, and that's when it falls on the coaching staff to make things work with the players that are healthy. And Staley and Co have obviously not made things work, not even a little bit.

Now some of that falls on the FO, too. If Telesco has failed to fill the roster with capable depth - which he hasn't - then that's on him. So it's really the combination of bad roster building (Telesco) and bad coaching (Staley) with the players on the roster. Not a great combination to back if you expect this team to be anything more than they have been for years, i.e., mediocre to poor.
                          Alot falls on FO because our depth, our back ups never seem to be very competent...like why does Storm occupy a roster spot if he is unlpayable? Other teams sign experienced veterans to deal with injuries while the Chargers hit practise squads.

But things like having a historically bad run defence 2 years running is on coaching.....play calling...game management etc

I like some things about Brandon Staley, i drank the koolaid when i heard the "Ted Talks" interviews but his lack of head coaching experience at any level is becoming more apparent.

Comment

Working...
                          X