• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I'm polar opposite. I'd go with Johnson or Moore over Harbaugh or Belichick.
    With Herbert getting healthy and assuming he stays healthy the rest of the year, I still think that Moore will be our next HC. I'd be okay with he or Johnson (his game plan vs us was masterful). Both of those guys fit the Spanos mold of first time coaches. Having said that, I think Harbaugh or Belichick would bring instant success as they don't have to learn how to be a HC.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I'm polar opposite. I'd go with Johnson or Moore over Harbaugh or Belichick.
      I just do not think the Chargers can waste another year of Herberts career on an unknown product. Moore or Johnson could be good - but more than likely, with the current front office, they will not succeed

Comment

• AK47
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Harbaugh for sure

iffy on Belichick

Solid NO's on Moore and Johnson ( and the Ravens DC and Slowik and Waldron..)
        Belicheat is one of the most expensive coaches in all of sports though.

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

If Staley continues to “Staley” and Spanos decides to hire a new HC, Moore has to get first consideration.

If Moore is having continued success with Herbert and the offense, you simply can’t allow him to get his nose out of joint by hiring another HC and passing him over because Moore will leave the Chargers for better opportunities and you’re back to square one on offense.

Now, if Moore’s offense stinks up the place and Herbert tanks, then you don’t promote him to HC.

So I believe Moore’s fate is largely in his own hands.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

How motivated is Belicheck now? He is getting up there. There is some wierd off the field stuff about him on the interwebs. And his staff feels like the staff Marty wanted and led him to getting fired. Please, I don't want McDaniels anywhere near Herbert.
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              How motivated is Belicheck now? He is getting up there. There is some wierd off the field stuff about him on the interwebs. And his staff feels like the staff Marty wanted and led him to getting fired. Please, I don't want McDaniels anywhere near Herbert.
              I did read a Barnwell piece and the "nepotism" (whether family or just coaches he is very familiar with) on the current Patriots staff would be a problem. Thats probably why I am more iffy on Hoodie. I just don't want people like Joe Judge, Josh or his kids on staff. Plus would he want player personnel. If he just wanted to coach, that might be one thing - but not both

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                Pass on Bellichik. Asante Samuel Sr., who played for Bellichik and with Brady said the success was all because of Brady….NOT Bellichik.

Besides that….Bellichik is too expensive and controlling for Johnboy.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If Belichick wanted to come to the Chargers and he brought somebody like Pioli or Dmitroff as personnel guy - and he just coached -- I wouldn't turn it down. For sure he would have input on player personnel - but not like he does now in NE -- that would work.

As like you said, having Herbert would be a big draw
                  His control as GM are the reason the Pats are the worst team in their division. that roster sucks and his drafts are even worse than TT. I'm pretty iffy on the entire BB idea, respect his prior record but the hardware is getting dusty and he looks worn and torn of late and hasn't developed decent players in quite awhile. idunno man.

I think I'm with Velo here ... and I think Johnson > Moore for HC potential. Thats just a wild ass guess - which is exactly what we do here.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

I got it: Lane Kiffin!

this is his girlfriend ...

image.png
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

I guess it's just me, but I remember before Staley that Special Teams was a major liability year after year.

And I remember year after year many die hard fans wondering why Chargers rarely use 1st Rd picks on OL. Staley arrived and right away back to back years it's OL in Rd 1. And also a 2nd for Mack and then 2nd on Tuli. And Staley very first big FA signing was Corey Linsley.

For so long many fans wanted better special teams, and more investment in the trenches. And right away this new HC is building up those units that have been such an issue for decades.

The travel to East coast. Staley gets spicy about it. Calls it a myth that he doesn't believe in. Chargers have played better on East coast trips under Staley.

Chargering? Again Brandon gets spicy about it and says that is not a thing. It's a media narrative that he has no time for.

The man is literally doing exactly what many have wished for with special teams and trenches, and he is all in on upending all these Chargering narratives.

He has never finished a regular season with a losing record. Not bad for a guy in his first stint as a NFL HC.

I just think many fans are taking for granted what has been done so far in improving the team and are simply looking at what isn't done yet. And then focus on that part and coming to a natural conclusion of fire him, he isn't good enough. But, Look at the bigger picture and you're firing what you begged for decades to happen. A regime who would spend 1st round picks on OL. A regime that would turn special teams into a unit that can win a ball game. A regime that would play well on East coast trips. I regime that is determined to end the Chargering myth.

Last thing I want to do is start over when I see very clear signs of progress.

They need to be just a little better and win another down or two per game and that will look like a huge difference, but it's really just a couple downs of better football.

​​​​​Last year SF allowed 17pts per game and were #1 in league
                      Chargers allowed 23pts last year. And again this year. 6pts per game difference. That is basically forcing a punt instead of allowing a score on 1 drive per game. That is it. 1 damn drive per game better. I think they can figure it out. Both with better coaching and better personnel. Which is why there is no way I would fire Staley. He deserves another year no matter what, IMO.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                        I guess it's just me, but I remember before Staley that Special Teams was a major liability year after year.

And I remember year after year many die hard fans wondering why Chargers rarely use 1st Rd picks on OL. Staley arrived and right away back to back years it's OL in Rd 1. And also a 2nd for Mack and then 2nd on Tuli. And Staley very first big FA signing was Corey Linsley.

For so long many fans wanted better special teams, and more investment in the trenches. And right away this new HC is building up those units that have been such an issue for decades.

The travel to East coast. Staley gets spicy about it. Calls it a myth that he doesn't believe in. Chargers have played better on East coast trips under Staley.

Chargering? Again Brandon gets spicy about it and says that is not a thing. It's a media narrative that he has no time for.

The man is literally doing exactly what many have wished for with special teams and trenches, and he is all in on upending all these Chargering narratives.

He has never finished a regular season with a losing record. Not bad for a guy in his first stint as a NFL HC.

I just think many fans are taking for granted what has been done so far in improving the team and are simply looking at what isn't done yet. And then focus on that part and coming to a natural conclusion of fire him, he isn't good enough. But, Look at the bigger picture and you're firing what you begged for decades to happen. A regime who would spend 1st round picks on OL. A regime that would turn special teams into a unit that can win a ball game. A regime that would play well on East coast trips. I regime that is determined to end the Chargering myth.

They need to be just a little better and win another down or two per game and that will look like a huge difference, but it's really just a couple downs of better football.

Chargers allowed 23pts last year. And again this year. 6pts per game difference. That is basically forcing a punt instead of allowing a score on 1 drive per game. That is it. 1 damn drive per game better. I think they can figure it out. Both with better coaching and better personnel. Which is why there is no way I would fire Staley. He deserves another year no matter what, IMO.
                        Near last in defense 3 years running isn't progress.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I get it Critty. There’s a lot that I like about Staley. My ideal HC currently would be a Staley type but with a much better defense. But as it is, he’s not going to stay on as HC after this season unless the defense at least plays average against better teams in the league. You can’t have the worst defenses three years running.

Comment

Working...
                          X