Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Sure doesn't feel like that.

I would hedge a guess that in critical situations, in big games against good teams that we have to beat to make playoffs, when it is a critical time in the game and you need your defense to step up and make a stop, no defense is worse than this one for answering with soft line play or soft coverage and being gashed for huge chunk plays.

Or maybe I am blind or have been having a dream for the past 2 years
    Well, being 29th worst is slightly better than being last, but still sucks. What is worst is ours seem to happen at the worst possible times.

Comment

• Chargerville
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2013
      • Send PM

The Chargers can’t be wasting these potential HOF QBs. They have to be wiser with who they hire. In 2013, the Chargers knowing that John Fox and Manning were in Denver and had swept the division in 2012… with a guy like Andy Reid available still chose to go with the inexperienced Mike McCoy. Rivers was only like two years removed from arguably his best season as a pro at that time, and even though Brees, Manning and Big Ben had all won championships (which would have been embarrassing to me) the Chargers still decide to go with inexperience.

2020, it looks like we got our hands on one of the best young QBs in Herbert, and even with Herbert, you know we’re gonna have our hands full trying to overcome the combination of Andy Reid and Mahomes, who don’t lose many division games or many games period (since Peyton Manning retired, Andy Reid… even before Mahomes, has dominated the AFC West) and what do we do… we go extremely inexperienced again.

Anthony Lynn had only been an offensively coordinator for that one season in Buffalo after Roman got fired… he had only been a HC that same season when he took over after Rex Ryan got fired… and Brandon Staley was only an actual D-coordinator for 1 season… when you are in a division with Peyton Manning and Patrick Mahomes… and you have a good QB yourself, maybe we need to start trying to pair our good QB with a more proven coach.

Experience isn’t always necessary, but if you keep striking out, and keep proving that you lack the eye to find a McVay, then for goodness sake, just try another proven coach… because it’s hard to find a top tier QB and you can’t be wasting them.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargerville View Post
        The Chargers can’t be wasting these potential HOF QBs. They have to be wiser with who they hire. In 2013, the Chargers knowing that John Fox and Manning were in Denver and had swept the division in 2012… with a guy like Andy Reid available still chose to go with the inexperienced Mike McCoy. Rivers was only like two years removed from arguably his best season as a pro at that time, and even though Brees, Manning and Big Ben had all won championships (which would have been embarrassing to me) the Chargers still decide to go with inexperience.

2020, it looks like we got our hands on one of the best young QBs in Herbert, and even with Herbert, you know we’re gonna have our hands full trying to overcome the combination of Andy Reid and Mahomes, who don’t lose many division games or many games period (since Peyton Manning retired, Andy Reid… even before Mahomes, has dominated the AFC West) and what do we do… we go extremely inexperienced again.

Anthony Lynn had only been an offensively coordinator for that one season in Buffalo after Roman got fired… he had only been a HC that same season when he took over after Rex Ryan got fired… and Brandon Staley was only an actual D-coordinator for 1 season… when you are in a division with Peyton Manning and Patrick Mahomes… and you have a good QB yourself, maybe we need to start trying to pair our good QB with a more proven coach.

Experience isn’t always necessary, but if you keep striking out, and keep proving that you lack the eye to find a McVay, then for goodness sake, just try another proven coach… because it’s hard to find a top tier QB and you can’t be wasting them.
        Your last line is where I am at. I want somebody who will hit the ground running and understand it. A rookie HC is going to have time to learn and grow and figure out schedules, practices, training camp, all of that. I want somebody who has been down that road. Also will have an idea of how to build a staff.

Even somebody like Bieniemy if Howell continues to imrpove - he has twice the actual coaching experience of Johnson and over 3x as Kellen Moore.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

My vote as of this week is no confidence. Staley has 8 weeks to dramatically change that vote. I'm doubtful based on not the last game but lack of defensive progress since he arrived but I do think we win this week in GB and he has 2 weeks to search deep and adjust the defense to compete against a better team. If he can rally the team vs the Ravens, he goes into a 3 game stretch with a 2 game win streak that they should win all of. Come out of there 5-0 over the stretch and everything has changed.

Critty is right in that we've lost all but one game by 3 pt or less - he is close. i am doubting but I am always rooting and hopeful for him to prove me wrong. its your move, Brandon.

As to retreads vs unknowns. I'm closer to the Velo camp - most retreads got fired for a reason, very rare is the Bill Parcells that walked away then decided to go for one more run. The rest were a proven failure at some point and betting the last failure is different than the future is a lot like betting the next unknown coordinator is IT. Most of the great young coaches today were recently coordinators, i just wish it were easier to know who that next IT guy will be.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
            My vote as of this week is no confidence. Staley has 8 weeks to dramatically change that vote. I'm doubtful based on not the last game but lack of defensive progress since he arrived but I do think we win this week in GB and he has 2 weeks to search deep and adjust the defense to compete against a better team. If he can rally the team vs the Ravens, he goes into a 3 game stretch with a 2 game win streak that they should win all of. Come out of there 5-0 over the stretch and everything has changed.

Critty is right in that we've lost all but one game by 3 pt or less - he is close. i am doubting but I am always rooting and hopeful for him to prove me wrong. its your move, Brandon.

As to retreads vs unknowns. I'm closer to the Velo camp - most retreads got fired for a reason, very rare is the Bill Parcells that walked away then decided to go for one more run. The rest were a proven failure at some point and betting the last failure is different than the future is a lot like betting the next unknown coordinator is IT. Most of the great young coaches today were recently coordinators, i just wish it were easier to know who that next IT guy will be.
            Serious question - was Dan Quinn a failure or a success in Atlanta?

Jim Schwartz - looks at record, not a success in Detroit, thats fine. Matt Nagy - probably some where in between Schwartz and Quinn.

Of course I wish the Chargers would hit on a young coach. I wanted it with Staley. I wanted it with Lynn. I wanted it with McCoy.

I will say Bieniemy is intriguing coming from the Andy Reid tree - a lot of success on that tree.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Jim Schwartz - looks at record, not a success in Detroit, thats fine. Matt Nagy - probably some where in between Schwartz and Quinn.

Of course I wish the Chargers would hit on a young coach. I wanted it with Staley. I wanted it with Lynn. I wanted it with McCoy.

I will say Bieniemy is intriguing coming from the Andy Reid tree - a lot of success on that tree.
              Schwartz would be fine with a very good OC and our talent on offense. I think our defense would be top 15 the minute he signs the contract. I think our oline would get better with a tough minded coach.
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

As for Ben Johnson, he has been an OC for a year and a half
                Johnson has been in the league 11 years and will have been OC of the Lions for two years at the end of the season.

Mike McDaniel was OC of the 49ers for only one season.
                DeMeco Ryans was DC of the 49ers for only two seasons.
                Kevin Stefanski was OC of the Vikings for only one season.
                Sean McVay was OC of the Commanders for three seasons.
                Nick Sirianni was OC of the Colts for three seasons.
                Shane Steichen was OC of the Chargers for one season and for the Eagles for two seasons.

Johnson is going to be the league's hottest head coaching candidate this off-season. Give me someone like him who is young, but has experience in the league, and has a proven track record of successfully coaching players. He would be so good for Herbert.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Johnson has been in the league 11 years and will have been OC of the Lions for two years at the end of the season.

Shane Steichen was OC of the Chargers for one season and for the Eagles for two seasons.

Johnson is going to be the league's hottest head coaching candidate this off-season. Give me someone like him who is young, but has experience in the league, and has a proven track record of successfully coaching players. He would be so good for Herbert.
                  I understand it works for other organizations - especially the Eagles. But it hasn't worked as well for the Chargers when owned by somebody with the last name Spanii

Comment

• Boltgang74
                    We Are The Storm!
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Also depends greatly on who their DC pick would be for me.Only an idiot can't coach Herbert but we need a top ten defense FINALLY after how many years.Give Herbs offense some actual help for once.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                      Outback Goon
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Australia
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

we had that guy and let him walk to Philly.

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Just 1 more play!

My fellow Charger fan I just had a big smile and am going to end our discussion by giving you an Attaboy! You are a true diehard!! Years of Chargering, woulda coulda shoulda and we almost won.... hasn't beaten you down or sent your frustration through the roof like many of us.

Never change! 😊
                        It's just a game. Only 1 of 32 win every year.

My frustration is more at Owners/GM.

They finally seem to have got special teams correct and final spent high draft picks on OL. Made a trade for Mack. Added Moore to get the offense going. I think to kick start the defense, add a player before trade deadline. There were some impact players that could have been added to line of scrimmage.
                        But the Owner/GM did nothing. Which is typical of them.
                        49ers already have a great DL added a impact player. That helps the HC and DC look even better. Not to mention they added Hargrave in off season to a #1 D. Reinforcement of trenches that were already great. That is J.Lynch.

If Staley fired then Telesco has to go. So.......you think Spanos find the right guy to replace them?

​​​​
                        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Its one of those cause-effect questions, its a good one and I don't know. Quinn's record:
                          - first year he was 8-8.
                          - 2016 he got hot in 2016 11-5 and the SB (an epic 2nd half failure, he was up 28-3 in the third period - so a big cautionary FYI for those still traumatized by Staley's JAX loss).
                          - 2017 he was 10-6 and WC and advanced one round to DIV round.
                          - then his last 3 years he went 7-9, 7-9 and started 0-5 and got fired abruptly in October.

getting fired after 0-5 start is the definition of failing, isn't it? (right or wrong). His career record was 43-42, which is not winning football. again - reasons, Idunno. just the result here.

I always assumed Bieniemy was a Reid puppet, he's showing alot of us that he wasn't just carrying Reid's donut box to the coaches conference room. OR - maybe that Commander kid is the next new unexpected wonder of the world, ala Tom Brady. (5th rd vs 6th)
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X