French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
    Best case, but unrealistic scenario: Harbaugh

Realistic scenario: Dan Quinn

Bad, but also realistic scenario: Reich or similar washed HC

Somewhere in the realm of possibility especially if a few meaningless games are won: we run it back as is
    Is it a poll ?
    I vote D.

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Tuli is more than a JAG. They should have brought KVN back. That is beyond obvious with Bosa and Rumph hurt. Derwin James was an all pro and viewed as the top safety in the game until Staley came. When a player like that digresses you have to look at coaching. Same for Vato. Now we’re actually seeing a better Murray but it took too long.

as for the OL, I don’t know what to tell ya. They invested a lot and at a certain point again you have to look at coaching g scheme. NE had a great Ol for years and not because they had a bunch of first rounders. They had Dante and he molded them into a unit. There’s lot of other examples of under utilized or underachieving guys on our team.
      Yep. I like Tuli. My mistake take.

Brady made everyone look better.

I look at KC. They went 12-4 with a previous #1 overall pick....yet Reid and them made a big trade up for Mahomes and it worked out as one of the best draft day trades ever.

There is not way Chargers do that. They would try and build around their vet QB. And not trade up there.

I remember as a fan I was wanting to draft Lamar Jackson when he was on the board. Trade Rivers and build a different type of team. The Chargers boards were not very kind to my take. But he has won a lot and was MVP. So .........

Staley can be criticized. But it seems like blaming the employee and ignoring the owners have yet to do anything that shows they can actually win consistently.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• LA_BOLT
        GO BOLTS!!!
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Derwin James was an all pro and viewed as the top safety in the game until Staley came. When a player like that digresses you have to look at coaching.
        I agree, there seems to be a few players who have regressed under Staley, but Derwin had just come back after two significant injuries (only 5 games/end of '19 season), when Staley took over.

Just pointing out that, after the injuries, who could really know if Derwin was going to be the same player we saw his rookie year. I think Derwin's regression has more to do with his injuries and missing almost two entire seasons, than just Staley. If he was the same Derwin, he would be making plays no matter who is coaching, or even being put in the wrong position on the field - i.e. great players make plays.
        Chargers logo:

Comment

• AFboltfan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2018
          • Balboa Park bench
          • Medical Simulation
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Yep. I like Tuli. My mistake take.

Brady made everyone look better.

I look at KC. They went 12-4 with a previous #1 overall pick....yet Reid and them made a big trade up for Mahomes and it worked out as one of the best draft day trades ever.

There is not way Chargers do that. They would try and build around their vet QB. And not trade up there.

I remember as a fan I was wanting to draft Lamar Jackson when he was on the board. Trade Rivers and build a different type of team. The Chargers boards were not very kind to my take. But he has won a lot and was MVP. So .........

Staley can be criticized. But it seems like blaming the employee and ignoring the owners have yet to do anything that shows they can actually win consistently.
          Literally nobody is doing that...

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Yes that’s what I would think as well. Or you only get the difference from the first club if the second club pays you less
            Well, its a contract and unlike players, most (most) HC's have a fully guaranteed contract unless they kill somebody or something extreme. It is pretty standard fare for CEOs, which is what HCs sort of are. And you want them to do what they need to do and not worry about money. At least that is the justification. So Riech is likely getting paid twice unless he gave a discount to Carolina just to get another shot at coaching. That is what Marty did when he came here from the Redskins. Reich is supposed to be a really great person so I am happy he is financially set. I am sure he will do a lot of good for others with all that money and not just himself.

Staley already made more money than any of us will in our lifetimes. In fact the one year money he will get to go away after he is fired is also more than most all of us will make in our lifetimes. Think about that.

He is good as gone. He got chippy again with the media yesterday. Can't win with the media. Makes the brand look bad. Spanoseseseses more motivated to fire him for that than all the losing and player ruining and fan turning offing.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              Who really needs to go is Telesco. That just usually means the HC goes as well when a new GM comes in
              I agree that Telesco is probably worse at his job than Staley. Granted, there are two parts to Staley - the Head Coach and the DC. The Head Coach, going for it on 4th down, that stuff - not bad. The DC - one of the worst in the league

As was pointed out, James was good before Staley got to the team and tried, well I am not sure what he has tried with Derwin. But its not working

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                Best case, but unrealistic scenario: Harbaugh

Realistic scenario: Dan Quinn

Bad, but also realistic scenario: Reich or similar washed HC

Somewhere in the realm of possibility especially if a few meaningless games are won: we run it back as is

I've stopped drinking the Harbaugh koolaid simply because I know Spanos would never do it, nor would Dean/John ever co-exist with a personality like him. And I bet the Raiders or anyone else would easily outspend Dean if it came down to a bidding war of sorts. Hell, I am not convinced by some of Harbaugh's recent comments that he even wants back in the NFL. The recent scandal aside, he seems to be loving it at Michigan.

Honestly, we could do much worse than Dan Quinn. Would probably get us competitive for a WC spot in the next couple of years, which is basically this entire organization's ceiling with the Spanoses in charge. Delete Super Bowl from your vocabulary moving forward and adjust expectations accordingly.
                I agree that Harbaugh is unrealistic because the Spanii would never spend the money and Fredo wants to make sure John Boy feels good about himself so he keeps him as VP or whatever

Agree that Quinn is the best option for HC
                I am not sure Reich will coach again when you have 30m bucks coming to you after this year

Guys like Flores, Garrett and Schwartz could be in the mix
                I know Ben Johnsons name gets floated around - which is stupid - that model hasn't worked. But Rapoport Shefter and all those guys will preach his name so much that JohnBoy will not "want to miss out" when Quinn with the right OC - is the best non Harbaugh name

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by LA_BOLT View Post

I agree, there seems to be a few players who have regressed under Staley, but Derwin had just come back after two significant injuries (only 5 games/end of '19 season), when Staley took over.

Just pointing out that, after the injuries, who could really know if Derwin was going to be the same player we saw his rookie year. I think Derwin's regression has more to do with his injuries and missing almost two entire seasons, than just Staley. If he was the same Derwin, he would be making plays no matter who is coaching, or even being put in the wrong position on the field - i.e. great players make plays.
                  But DJ played better last year than this year?
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2023
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I agree that Telesco is probably worse at his job than Staley. Granted, there are two parts to Staley - the Head Coach and the DC. The Head Coach, going for it on 4th down, that stuff - not bad. The DC - one of the worst in the league

As was pointed out, James was good before Staley got to the team and tried, well I am not sure what he has tried with Derwin. But its not working
                    The head coach keeps on losing games by 3 points.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2023
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Well, its a contract and unlike players, most (most) HC's have a fully guaranteed contract unless they kill somebody or something extreme. It is pretty standard fare for CEOs, which is what HCs sort of are. And you want them to do what they need to do and not worry about money. At least that is the justification. So Riech is likely getting paid twice unless he gave a discount to Carolina just to get another shot at coaching. That is what Marty did when he came here from the Redskins. Reich is supposed to be a really great person so I am happy he is financially set. I am sure he will do a lot of good for others with all that money and not just himself.

Staley already made more money than any of us will in our lifetimes. In fact the one year money he will get to go away after he is fired is also more than most all of us will make in our lifetimes. Think about that.

He is good as gone. He got chippy again with the media yesterday. Can't win with the media. Makes the brand look bad. Spanoseseseses more motivated to fire him for that than all the losing and player ruining and fan turning offing.

TG
                      His relation with the local and national media is what makes him good as gone. The fight for L.A. is sinking fast.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

The head coach keeps on losing games by 3 points.
                        Great point! they both are not good at their job

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • SoDak
                          • Technology Director
                          • Send PM

I'm kind of warming up to the idea of Brian Flores.

Of all the Belichick disciples... he seems to be his own man.

His Miami teams got in trouble for winning too much. (and they were talent poor at that time)

He was fired for his going public with how they tried to bribe him to lose games.

He's done a pretty good job with the Minnesota defense this year. (that defense was terrible last year)

But... who would he bring in as an OC?

I'm out on Belichick. He's too old.

I'm out on Frank Reich too. He's been a disaster. Remember he was our OC here, and got replaced/fired. He then went to Philly and was the OC for Pederson. (Pederson called the plays). He parlayed that into the Colts HC job...in which he got a new qb every year, and never went anywhere. He then goes to Carolina and has been in charge of that dumpster fire.

I don't want Dan Quinn, either.

Right now it's Brian Flores, and everyone else.
                          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
                          X