Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I found the rankings for receivers and ours ranked 19 and 20 respectively with Mike 19th and Keenan 20th. Chargers just overpay for home grown talent I guess. I agree that Paying Mike $20 million is just crazy. Players have become greedy and unrealistic in my opinion. I would straight up Tag and trade for a second rounder or two third rounders. We have holes to fill and these guys might be starters on our team. I really doubt other teams will be willing to pay Mike $20 mill and give up a second rounder.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2...eiver-rankings
    A lot of the players in front of Mike Williams are still playing on their rookie deals. They are also pretty upfront in downgrading Allen due to his stretch run, which I find funny, since that is the sort of "observation bias" that going with more of an analytics approach is supposed to try and mitigate against.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

A lot of the players in front of Mike Williams are still playing on their rookie deals. They are also pretty upfront in downgrading Allen due to his stretch run, which I find funny, since that is the sort of "observation bias" that going with more of an analytics approach is supposed to try and mitigate against.
      The question still remains. Spend big bucks on MW or use that money to hire better defenders if available. Without a top 15 defense all our efforts will go for naught! That's why we hired Staley to get us into the top 15 defense.

:coffee:
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

The question still remains. Spend big bucks on MW or use that money to hire better defenders if available. Without a top 15 defense all our efforts will go for naught! That's why we hired Staley to get us into the top 15 defense.

:coffee:
        I would make a fair offer to Mike Will...but he'll probably want to test FA...if we lose him, 3rd or 4th round comp pick...not bad...

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I would make a fair offer to Mike Will...but he'll probably want to test FA...if we lose him, 3rd or 4th round comp pick...not bad...
          Tag and trade. Could you imagine getting Jacksonville's third rounder this season? It would be like getting a late second rounder. Get something for him this draft.

:2cents:

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
            San Diego Native
            • Feb 2019
            • Farmington, NM
            • Send PM

Tag and trade. Could you imagine getting Jacksonville's third rounder this season? It would be like getting a late second rounder. Get something for him this draft.
            How about a 3 team trade? The Texans send Laremy Tunsil to the Chargers, the Chargers tag and trade Big Mike to the Jags, and the Jags send draft picks to the Texans and cap space (or cash) to the Chargers to offset Tunsil's hefty contract. That way when we create a hole (WR) we fill one (OT). Thoughts?

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
              You know why McDermott has been successful? Because he has given a veteran defensive coordinator in Leslie Frazier the reigns to call the plays even though McDermott is a defensive minded HC.

HIRE VIC FANGIO!!!
              I don’t think Leslie Frazier calls the plays.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

I cannot believe how much defensive coaching talent is floating around out there and Charger management is playing tiddlywinks! I hope they have some kind of plan to add additional talent to our coaching staff that actual improves our chances next season.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

I cannot believe how much defensive coaching talent is floating around out there and Charger management is playing tiddlywinks! I hope they have some kind of plan to add additional talent to our coaching staff that actual improves our chances next season.
                  Unless they believe that bolstering the talent will fix the D and that this, not the coaching scheme, is what was wrong. And since we haven't made any changes outside of ST coaching, it appears to be it.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Unless they believe that bolstering the talent will fix the D and that this, not the coaching scheme, is what was wrong. And since we haven't made any changes outside of ST coaching, it appears to be it.
                    Or maybe Vic Fangio is exploring all his options. Granted, I doubt the Chargers are firing Hill to replace him with Fangio. But the coaching carousel hasn't started with anybody getting hired.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Or maybe Vic Fangio is exploring all his options. Granted, I doubt the Chargers are firing Hill to replace him with Fangio. But the coaching carousel hasn't started with anybody getting hired.
                      Yeah, that's key. Lots of jobs will be open and lots looking for work. Fangio has no reason to leap at anything now.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Yeah, that's key. Lots of jobs will be open and lots looking for work. Fangio has no reason to leap at anything now.
                        That doesn't mean I think the Chargers will be hiring Fangio but he willhave his pick of jobs when the openings are filled. Who knows - maybe he goes to the Chargers as an Asst HC type of role.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Because Staley is also the DC. I doubt he has someone else calls the plays. I think it’s the same way with certain HCs. Shanahan and McVay calls the offensive plays on their respective teams, and I believe a Bills fan told me that McDermott calls the defensive plays even if Frazier is his DC.

Comment

Working...
                          X