• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by HerbieParadigm View Post
    The operative word being “build” Telesco selected Herbert 2 years ago then a HC giving Herbert a seat at the table. They then began to ensure Herbert has time to operate & distribute the ball to playmakers. Continue this and ensure D players can get the ball and hand it back to Herbert. The playoff pathway to and win a SB goes thru Patty, Joey, & Josh. Get a RT to bookend Slater and anchor the O-line for the next 12 years, a playmaking FA TE like Gesicki, extend Williams (Herbert wants him!) & James, draft a TJ Watt dynamo at edge.

I now root for Chargers for #1 reason given Big Ben retirement. Having watched Steelers for 18 years, my largest Chargers concern is the cap hit from Bosa. When paying a D player > $80 M, they must be a game wrecker, Bosa is no TJ Watt.
    Welcome and you’re right about Bosa.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

The operative word being “build” Telesco selected Herbert 2 years ago then a HC giving Herbert a seat at the table. They then began to ensure Herbert has time to operate & distribute the ball to playmakers. Continue this and ensure D players can get the ball and hand it back to Herbert. The playoff pathway to and win a SB goes thru Patty, Joey, & Josh. Get a RT to bookend Slater and anchor the O-line for the next 12 years, a playmaking FA TE like Gesicki, extend Williams (Herbert wants him!) & James, draft a TJ Watt dynamo at edge.

I now root for Chargers for #1 reason given Big Ben retirement. Having watched Steelers for 18 years, my largest Chargers concern is the cap hit from Bosa. When paying a D player > $80 M, they must be a game wrecker, Bosa is no TJ Watt.
      Telesco is a bit like the Steelers philosophy...steady...methodical...too slow for many.

Re Bosa, we'll see how he performs with a more talented rotation.

It remains to be seen how it works out for LAR/CIN, with their meteoric, all-in style. Re the cap, Rams can retain some pieces, and Bengals will be in cap heaven for another year.

Time for LAC to cherry pick additions...

:coffee:
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Welcome aboard.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I guess it all depends on what Telesco does with Mike Williams - it truly is the $19m question and really sets up the rest of free agency

Nwosu, Jones and White I think are all back
          Not really. We can easily afford to bring in 3-4 free agents even with MW. I don't see why.they would tag him.

Comment

• HerbieParadigm
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2022
            • Send PM

Coming from Steelers culture realizing nobody does SB winning like the Patriots, the Chargers made the 2 perfect moves. HC & QB. Cultural change involves tremendous energy given the real power of inertia. This off season namely FA will demonstrate the influence of Staley-Herbert like extending Williams & James. I think the Chargers have awesome WR group that Herbert loves and will make each of them far better. Now TE others mention is essential to beat the likes of Patty, Joey, & Josh. This is why I like the kid to sign out of Miami.

And spot-on wu-dai clan, the molasses Steelers frustrated the shit out of me during the early Big Ben years. Then again, the Steelers paid the man and never had a financial war chest the Chargers possess this year. Again another indicator of the Staley-Herbert influence. Hell yes Telesco should be feeling urgency to win it all, so get FA to win now while ensuring they are smart 3 year investments.

As for just Staley, I want to see how he uses Derwin James. He reminds me of Rod Woodsen, but even more athletic.

Comment

• SK21209
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2020
              • San Diego
              • Send PM

J.C. Jackson is my #1 target, the Pats almost never give out huge second contracts and Jackson played really well in both man and zone this season. Similarly, Xavien Howard has asked out of Miami in the past and the Fins are going to be desperate to spend as much as they can to improve their offensive line/weapons for Tua, I think Howard is available if we're willing to pay the price. CB1 is where I hope Telesco takes the big swing, defensive line can be shored up with depth and value (although having a Chandler Jones or Khalil Mack opposite Joey would be awesome).

Side note, I really wish the draft was before free agency like the NBA does it. I hate going into the draft knowing you need to fill a specific spot.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I guess it all depends on what Telesco does with Mike Williams - it truly is the $19m question and really sets up the rest of free agency

Nwosu, Jones and White I think are all back
                If not those three D guys, then who? Murray? Tillery?

if they don’t sign those three, TT better be spending huge bank on … wait, what D FA players are out there anyway? That are better? Short list no matter who you put on it.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I disagree about Bosa not being Watt. The Steelers DL is better than ours, and gives Watt more help than we do for Bosa.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
                    J.C. Jackson is my #1 target, the Pats almost never give out huge second contracts and Jackson played really well in both man and zone this season. Similarly, Xavien Howard has asked out of Miami in the past and the Fins are going to be desperate to spend as much as they can to improve their offensive line/weapons for Tua, I think Howard is available if we're willing to pay the price. CB1 is where I hope Telesco takes the big swing, defensive line can be shored up with depth and value (although having a Chandler Jones or Khalil Mack opposite Joey would be awesome).

Side note, I really wish the draft was before free agency like the NBA does it. I hate going into the draft knowing you need to fill a specific spot.
                    I think it’s fine the way it is. We use FA to address immediate needs, and then hopefully draft BPA.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

If not those three D guys, then who? Murray? Tillery?

if they don’t sign those three, TT better be spending huge bank on … wait, what D FA players are out there anyway? That are better? Short list no matter who you put on it.
                      Right - if Telesco doesn't sign say Justin Jones - he can't replace him with Linval Joseph and Akiem Hicks. Needs to be a commensurate player in salary, age and skillset

My hope is that after bringing back Jones, Kyzir, and Williams _- I am still iffy on Nwosu. A guy like Hassan Reddick seems better to me

Telesco still should have the funds for two good players - -another IDL to run next to Jones and maybe a CB or another Edge
                      Thats six big time players
                      WR
                      IDL x 2
                      Edge
                      LB
                      CB or more IDL depth

Than he can use the draft for CB1, RT , RB and more depth on the OL an DL.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Ontario , Canada
                        • Send PM

We only had ~ 2 sk/ game last year, near the bottom of the league so they need another Edge type player.

They have $57M in cap per Spotrac. I could see them letting Chris Harris and his $8M go. Maybe Jared Cook $4M w Tre McKitty. Nwosu per Spotrac may want $12M so I think they will let him go. Justin Jones may need $3-4M. my back of napkin calcs

Resign :
                        DT Joseph $8M
                        WR Mike Williams $19M
                        Other FA ~ 17M (Fackrell,Oboushi, Hopkins, Scofield , Covington etc mainly backups)
                        LB $8M replace Nwosu
                        DT Jones $3M
                        ------------
                        Total = $ 55M

They need CB too. They could cut Bulaga and save $14M in cap too. Should be interesting as they have the draft in mind for many of these needs. Maybe the #1 on a RT and the #2 for an Edge rusher?
                        Last edited by Cdn Bolt; 02-04-2022, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
                          We only had ~ 2 sk/ game last year, near the bottom of the league so they need another Edge type player.

They have $57M in cap per Spotrac. I could see them letting Chris Harris and his $8M go. Maybe Jared Cook $4M w Tre McKitty. Nwosu per Spotrac may want $12M so I think they will let him go. my back of napkin calcs

Resign :
                          DT Joseph $8M
                          WR Mike Williams $19M
                          Other FA ~ 17M (Fackrell,Oboushi, Hopkins, Scofield , Covington etc mainly backups)
                          LB $8M replace Nwosu
                          CB $ 8M replace Harris
                          Edge $7M ( Reddick Ogbah etc)
                          ------------
                          Total = $ 57M

So it looks like they have enough for an edge rusher if they want. They could cut Bulaga and save $14M in cap. Should be interesting as they could nab a RT in the draft w the #1 . We really need another DT too

I'd also let Bulaga go and would not resign Joseph or Fackrell

Comment

Working...
                          X