• Show
Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Lance Alworth made the HOF and guess what? He mostly caught with his body. And, he seldom dropped one.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

The thing I've liked most about Keenan - he's always open. At some point anyway. The more he works with Herbert, the better they can anticipate each other. IMO KA is the best route runner in the NFL. Still. He says that he feels great and looks like it in practice.
      He had more drops than usual in '21, although still a top 10 WR in numbers. His comment : It's my job to catch the ball. I intend to do better.
      I'm looking forward to it!

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
        I’ve read here or there that:

- Carter had a return for TD a couple days ago and another 2 TDs as WR (yesterday?). He’s making an unchallengeable case that he is more than just a returner and more than Reed. Could be a real FA steal here. Is Reed odd man out if it continues or will they carry 6?
        - Palmer continues to outshine Guyton according to majority of reports. Both are safe and have a role so no big deal. Camp gossip.
        - Tranquil - wtf is his injury - am I the only one concerned he’s developing a trend?
        - Tillery really could be cut. He’s not winning any battles against pretty much anyone in camp?
        - Kelly “gets it” now and is much more decisive and added strength, but nobody really can judge RBs until they play actual full contact football. Rountree sounds like odd man out. This cold be the biggest battle in PS games
        - Mixed comments on JT - he’s overwhelmed still, or he’s flashing real talent at times. Could be a 1 year project. If he gets it together, is Gilman odd man out?
        - Pip v Norton - coaches continue to stress its still a tie, but I’m sensing they see more in Pip’s ceiling and he’ll end up as RT1

Damn, can’t wait for some football!
        Tranquil has a groin injury. Those are definitely tricky. I also don’t think his body is made to last in the NFL despite all his best efforts to be healthy.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

why would they move on from Keenan? I realize he had some drops last season but some of that is on Herbert too. Herbert puts WAY too much on the ball on some throws, Justin is still learning and refining his skills. On some of those throws NFL caliber guys with reputations for having sure hands were having balls squirt right thru both of their hands in perfect conditions. He did it to cook, he did it to MW, he did it to palmer, he did it to all the guys not just to keenan. I remember how Elway's three amigos used to use their bodies by jumping for the ball to use their bodies to trap ball in the air because it was coming so hard. Modern day WRs are taught to catch with their hands, maybe this is a coaching issue and frankly a health issue because leaping can result in bad outcomes for WRs, it exposes them to huge hits. Justin needs to realize that he’s got way more than he needs to use in those situations. The slo-mo of a pass going thru cook’s hands last year was gruesome and scary, I don’t know how he didn’t break several bones in his hands trying to catch that shit. He did come off the field for some plays after that holding his hands, it was brutal to watch in slo-motion, his fingers were almost bent backwards:shock:
          WRs who produce 1k+ seasons year after year, like Keenan, don't grow on trees. There seems to be this train of thought that if you draft a WR who was elite in college he's going to be elite in the NFL. In reality, it is a crap shoot, like drafting a QB. Repeating what I put in a post above, there were six WRs drafted in the first 18 picks in April's draft. This was considered one of the best drafts for WRs in recent memory, with so many elite high 1st round prospects. I'll bet that 2-3 of these guys will turn out to be disappointments. It happens every draft. In 2020, Henry Ruggs, Jerry Jeudy and Jalen Reagor were drafted 12th, 15th and 21st, all before Justin Jefferson. Reagor is a colossal bust in Philly. Jeudy has struggled in Denver and Ruggs is already out of the league. In 2019, Marquise Brown and N'Keal Harry were the only two 1st round WRs. Brown has been about average; Harry is a bust. (The 2nd round in that draft was colossal for WRs, with five Pro Bowlers.) The Raiders got Renfrow in the 5th round in that draft. Mike Williams was the 2nd WR picked in 2017, No. 7 overall. Many think he has underperformed. But look at the WR who was drafted two spots earlier: Corey Davis. And the WR who was drafted two spots later: John Ross. Three WRs picked in the top 9 - two busts and Mike Williams. Guess who the Rams drafted in the 3rd round of that draft: Cooper Kupp. Same round Telesco drafted Keenan in 2013. The Bucs drafted Chris Godwin in the 3rd round in 2017. When you have a WR who averages 1,200 yds per season for five years, and is just now only turned 30, and has showed no signs of slowing down, you don't walk away from that guy to roll the dice on a rookie, no matter how good he looked in college.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
              Outback Goon
              • Sep 2018
              • Australia
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
              Tranquil has a groin injury. Those are definitely tricky. I also don’t think his body is made to last in the NFL despite all his best efforts to be healthy.
              rest the injury. We know what Tranquill can do, let him heal

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                  Lance Alworth made the HOF and guess what? He mostly caught with his body. And, he seldom dropped one.
                  Caught with his body and away from his body. Just caught the damn ball. And then ran. Like a deer. Hence Bambi

Comment

• Fleet 1
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kauai
                    • Send PM

Been taking a break and getting into my Padres. I wanted an injury update....and Staley covers it all so transparently. Good to hear maybe Parhan next week.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

WRs who produce 1k+ seasons year after year, like Keenan, don't grow on trees. There seems to be this train of thought that if you draft a WR who was elite in college he's going to be elite in the NFL. In reality, it is a crap shoot, like drafting a QB. Repeating what I put in a post above, there were six WRs drafted in the first 18 picks in April's draft. This was considered one of the best drafts for WRs in recent memory, with so many elite high 1st round prospects. I'll bet that 2-3 of these guys will turn out to be disappointments. It happens every draft. In 2020, Henry Ruggs, Jerry Jeudy and Jalen Reagor were drafted 12th, 15th and 21st, all before Justin Jefferson. Reagor is a colossal bust in Philly. Jeudy has struggled in Denver and Ruggs is already out of the league. In 2019, Marquise Brown and N'Keal Harry were the only two 1st round WRs. Brown has been about average; Harry is a bust. (The 2nd round in that draft was colossal for WRs, with five Pro Bowlers.) The Raiders got Renfrow in the 5th round in that draft. Mike Williams was the 2nd WR picked in 2017, No. 7 overall. Many think he has underperformed. But look at the WR who was drafted two spots earlier: Corey Davis. And the WR who was drafted two spots later: John Ross. Three WRs picked in the top 9 - two busts and Mike Williams. Guess who the Rams drafted in the 3rd round of that draft: Cooper Kupp. Same round Telesco drafted Keenan in 2013. The Bucs drafted Chris Godwin in the 3rd round in 2017. When you have a WR who averages 1,200 yds per season for five years, and is just now only turned 30, and has showed no signs of slowing down, you don't walk away from that guy to roll the dice on a rookie, no matter how good he looked in college.
                      I’m not sure what’s going on with this WR stuff, it’s really baffling. It HAD been, “get rid of mike wiliams now!” but then mike had a nice year when asked to do more and now it’s turning towards keenan? The country sees one of the best WR duos in the NFL, many charger fans on forums see a pile of shit, what gives?

It’s kind of ironic that some people nationally discredit Herbert’s greatness because the perception is he landed in such a great receiving situation for a young QB. I know they’re not right and that herbert is a sensational talent all on his own too. but let’s be honest, the WRs are top shelf too and he’s not offensive rookie of the year in 2020 or putting up top 2021 numbers without keenan and MW. I don’t understand why our people are so critical of our WRs, it must have something to do with analytics or some such thing…

now that palmer is showing he’s going to be legit and with guyton (one of my favorites) doing his unselfish thing, Plus hearing carter might be a find, we might have one of the top receiving corps in the league. AND no cry babies “I need more targets!” Stomping my feet throwing tantrum types either…
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I’m not sure what’s going on with this WR stuff, it’s really baffling. It HAD been, “get rid of mike wiliams now!” but then mike had a nice year when asked to do more and now it’s turning towards keenan? The country sees one of the best WR duos in the NFL, many charger fans on forums see a pile of shit, what gives?

It’s kind of ironic that some people nationally discredit Herbert’s greatness because the perception is he landed in such a great receiving situation for a young QB. I know they’re not right and that herbert is a sensational talent all on his own too. but let’s be honest, the WRs are top shelf too and he’s not offensive rookie of the year in 2020 or putting up top 2021 numbers without keenan and MW. I don’t understand why our people are so critical of our WRs, it must have something to do with analytics or some such thing…

now that palmer is showing he’s going to be legit and with guyton (one of my favorites) doing his unselfish thing, Plus hearing carter might be a find, we might have one of the top receiving corps in the league. AND no cry babies “I need more targets!” Stomping my feet throwing tantrum types either…
                        We do have one of the top WR corps, just not THE best. Top 6-7 anyways. I've seen it ranked anywhere from 3rd to 8th.
                        Don't really matter though. It's a good group overall.
                        I think Everette is average but at this point an upgrade to Cook.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

rest the injury. We know what Tranquill can do, let him heal
                          yikes! That was the strategy with bulaga.

Comment

Working...
                          X