Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Wood, I Can't speak for more than myself, but when I hear, "fire so and so" I never take that literal, as in today.
    The title of the thread is - Is It Time To Fire Lombo?

It doesn't say should he be fired some time in the future.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
      There cannot be a worse idea than to fire Lombardi now.

Herbert needs continuity now more than ever, while dealing with pain management and his ribs.

Intelligent football takes have been replaced by blind hatred of Lombardi.

I must respectfully say, this is arrogance and foolishness, my fellow TPBers and Charger fans across social media.
      It's rather peculiar that fans are calling for longer routes, and thus, longer protection times... when we have a QB with fractured cartilage and 2 OLmen that are dinged up ATM.

So much has been made of Herbert's average yards per pass. But no one mentions the 330 passing yards that goes along with that...? We have several mis-matches on offense. KA against just about any CB in the league when he's running precise, short routes. Several RB's that catch the ball well in space against most teams LB's/safeties. As of yet, the short passes to RB's haven't paid off. I suspect this is a timing/coordinating problem that will become much improved given more PT and small adjustments.

Bunch sets and quick release passes are an extension of the running game. Often they result in 2nd and 5 situations... which I will take every day. Should we throw long every once in a while...? Absolutely! But you're going to protect your QB and you OL if LB's and secondary are always aware of the short passing game... coupled with an efficient run game.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post
          That's a result of all the passes that were thrown behind the los.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

It's rather peculiar that fans are calling for longer routes, and thus, longer protection times... when we have a QB with fractured cartilage and 2 OLmen that are dinged up ATM.

So much has been made of Herbert's average yards per pass. But no one mentions the 330 passing yards that goes along with that...? We have several mis-matches on offense. KA against just about any CB in the league when he's running precise, short routes. Several RB's that catch the ball well in space against most teams LB's/safeties. As of yet, the short passes to RB's haven't paid off. I suspect this is a timing/coordinating problem that will become much improved given more PT and small adjustments.

Bunch sets and quick release passes are an extension of the running game. Often they result in 2nd and 5 situations... which I will take every day. Should we throw long every once in a while...? Absolutely! But you're going to protect your QB and you OL if LB's and secondary are always aware of the short passing game... coupled with an efficient run game.
            OL needs to settle in with timing and combo blocks.
            Definitely gotta get a RB#2 going.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post
              I'll take those two snapshots to the right almost every play... almost every situation.

Click on the tweet. Take a look at the play set-up on the pass-back. LOL!
              A better throw... a better block by Pipkins... or EKE on a wheel route... and that's an automatic 6 points.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

FczARNTakAARGmN.jpg

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Nope. I'm for throwing it down field for at least ten yards. The way I see it we have a 4 down man and a much much better defense. With a 50% completion rate we can move the ball down the field at will pretty much against any team. Just don't throw picks. Use the running game to surprise the defense and completely give them the taste of defeat. Having Herbert do the short game is like having a genius piano player only play chopsticks on the keyboard at concerts.
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    There cannot be a worse idea than to fire Lombardi now.

Herbert needs continuity now more than ever, while dealing with pain management and his ribs.

Intelligent football takes have been replaced by blind hatred of Lombardi.

I must respectfully say, this is arrogance and foolishness, my fellow TPBers and Charger fans across social media.
                    I agree with the notion that Herbert needs continuity within what I will call the "New Orleans system" that we are presently running.

However, I do not see any any blind hatred of Lombardi here at all. Lombardi himself stated that he was too conservative in his play calling against Las Vegas, which was the main complaint that people expressed about his play calling following that game.

Since week two of last year, I have been pointing out that Lombardi misuses certain players within the offense and that he calls far too many short sideline passes, but that his pass to run mix was a significant improvement over the offenses we had under Anthony Lynn.

In both games this year, we have had the chance to put our opponents away and/or jump out to a commanding lead only to see these opportunities lost due to questionable play calling. Like the former NFL player commentators were saying on Prime at halftime, we very clearly had the better team and it seemed strange that we were only up by 3 points at the half. We are not capitalizing on our offensive talent very effectively this year so far.

Lombardi deserves criticism for that. He needs to recognize what is and what is not working and make some adjustments. The running game cannot be counted on right now and should be avoided in traditional running situations and on most first downs, that latter of which tends to put Herbert into known passing situations.

Another issue is that there have been way too many targets for Palmer in the first two games. Most of the completions to Palmer have essentially been invited completions for little or no gain, the near functional equivalent of a thrown away pass. Added to that is that Palmer and Herbert have been out of sync as well. 12 targets for 35 yards is horribly inefficient for a WR--less than 3 yards per target. Those targets would be better used anywhere else except for on Palmer.

Finally, we need to get he ball down the field more. For more than a season now, Lombardi has consistently called too many short passes and not nearly enough longer passes.

Comment

• Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

That's a result of all the passes that were thrown behind the los.
                      My understanding is that the comment was made with respect to all routes run, not just those of the intended receiver.

So here we are with Justin Herbert, arguably the game's best deep passer, and our receivers are getting 73.6% of the receiver depth achieved by the average NFL team.

The disconnect here is crystal clear. With Herbert, we should be getting above average receiver depth and hitting some longer passes because we have a QB that can throw those passes. Even one longer pass per drive can save on the number of first downs that are needed to be converted to score, increasing the likelihood of scoring.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

chain, IMV Lombardi, becoming a little more agressive, is the answer.

Football is about matchups.

There are some high end tools about to be brought out of the tool chest, and brought back out.

I would like the explosive look of Spiller, Parham, Carter and Guyton, all out there at once !
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Who are you going to...? EKE or Mike (10 yards down field)...?

Comment

Working...
                          X