• Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Let's look at this a different way, was Herbert more effective and the O better his rookie season with Shane Steichen calling the plays, or is Herbert more efficient now with this OC?
    Interesting but look at it not from what it was but whet I could be.

I would say he was better his rookie year. Even though his stats were not as good he was a rookie that was not allowed to run with the first team until Lynn was forced. Definitely better then.

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Experience should tip the scales so the expectation is Herbert would be improving each year. Then the players surrounding Herbert have to be considered from season to season. With ever improving OL, you would expect improvement.

But this is about Lombardi. What’s disturbing is the offense seems to roll the first half and stall in the second half.

Lombardi admitted that in one of the games he purposely played too conservatively in the 2nd half and it was a mistake.

Then the same dichotomy between the 1st and 2nd half happened again in the next game.

Why is this? Does it mean if Lombardi has a week to prepare against a defense he can call a good offense for a half but like ignoring Everetts signal to come out of the game Lombardi is poor at making in game adjustments?

The better OC’s observe the opposing defense and figure out how to exploit it as the game progresses. The opposite is happening with Lombardi.

Lombardi apologists say it’s the injuries.

It’s only two games into the season. Let’s see if this continues to be the case or the offense can improve in the 2nd half of games.

You definitely get it. Others just look at end of the game/year stats.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
        Chargers Hall of Fame
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I dont understand why you think he should of got the OC job there. Pete Carmicheal has been the OC there since 2009 though he didn't call the plays...til this year.
        After the Saints successes, he, like Bieniemi haven't gotten any HCs offers likely because they don't call the plays and are more like assistants to the guy that does.

Dennis Allen who was their DC is now their head coach and he retained most everyone while Lombardi, not being a coordinator got offered the OC for us...which is a higher title like you said.

Lombardi's time in Deteoit was 8 years ago. You think a guy would learn a thing or two in that time? I'm guessing you would say no.

However, I wasn't over the moon when they hired him either for the position but i don't think he is doing a bad job. For me he can open things up a little to keep defenses more on their toes but that's about it.

He did get the opportunity to learn from one of the best in Payton.....since his time in Detroit.
        Fair points. Though I think if Staley didn't reach out to him, Lombo would still be coaching in some position lower than OC someplace this year and onward into forever. He may have learned a whole lot in 8 years, but I'm not seeing it quite yet.

PS If learning over the years under a solid coach (after failing the first time out) is anything of importance, than Josh McDaniels will be the Coach of the Year this season!
        Last edited by BayAreaBoltz; 09-24-2022, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• Bolts&noles
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Let's look at this a different way, was Herbert more effective and the O better his rookie season with Shane Steichen calling the plays, or is Herbert more efficient now with this OC?
          At the time I think alot of people wanted to keep Steichen.
          Herbert really seemed to like Pep also.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts&noles View Post

At the time I think alot of people wanted to keep Steichen.
            Herbert really seemed to like Pep also.
            Eagles offense leading the league in yards

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Experience should tip the scales so the expectation is Herbert would be improving each year. Then the players surrounding Herbert have to be considered from season to season. With ever improving OL, you would expect improvement.

But this is about Lombardi. Whats disturbing is the offense seems to roll the first half and stall in the second half.

Lombardi admitted that in one of the games he purposely played too conservatively in the 2nd half and it was a mistake.

Then the same dichotomy between the 1st and 2nd half happened again in the next game.

Why is this? Does it mean if Lombardi has a week to prepare against a defense he can call a good offense for a half but like ignoring Everetts signal to come out of the game Lombardi is poor at making in game adjustments?

The better OC’s observe the opposing defense and figure out how to exploit it as the game progresses. The opposite is happening with Lombardi.

Lombardi apologists say it’s the injuries.

It’s only two games into the season. Let’s see if this continues to be the case or the offense can improve in the 2nd half of games.
              I've noticed that also. First half, the plays seem more creative, a good mixture of passes and runs, offense rolls. Second half, we go flat. It looks to me like the first 20-30 plays are scripted and practiced. But some time in the second half, looks like the script runs out and it's back to the predictable ground game, swing passes and short stick routes...

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I've noticed that also. First half, the plays seem more creative, a good mixture of passes and runs, offense rolls. Second half, we go flat. It looks to me like the first 20-30 plays are scripted and practiced. But some time in the second half, looks like the script runs out and it's back to the predictable ground game, swing passes and short stick routes...
                And an occasional flop of a trick play.
                G-Ro knows.

Comment

• jubei
                  Vagabond Ninja
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

OK I voted yes. i'm done with his lameass gameplan. shoulda known when he couldnt break QB coach for a gazillion years under Sean Payton.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

First and goal inside the ten - a guy who scored 20 touchdowns last year - still hasn't gotten a look

Second, the end around - not that it mattered but knowing when to call a trick play or gadget play is critical. The chargers had ZERO continuity on offense - that is not the type to try an end around.

Comment

• Canal Zone Bolt Fan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2020
                      • Indianapolis, IN
                      • Send PM

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FIRE LOMBARDI

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM