• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

What he says after the touchscreen part ends is the deal. Guyton should be running those clear outs and Herb loves to hit him deep. It was disappointing they dont go over the blocking scheme as another reason Herb checkdowns.
    Yep...at LEAST roll Herbie out to buy more time to hit someone like Guyton or Carter deep...if this happens a few times, the deep safety will have to respect the receiver and give him 5-10 yards more of space...and THIS would free up the shorter routes...SMH...

Comment

• Florida fan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

^This. Not only that, but Herbie masks how terrible Lombo's playcalling is. Herbie is the ultimate Lombo Enabler...
      Kinda remind me of Rivers doing the same for Lynn.

Comment

• Classic
        Hall Of Fame
        • Dec 2014
        • Send PM

Joe is the worst OC we've had post Ryan Leaf years. Norv and McCoy at least had comptent offense just had no talent towards the end. Joe is working with the most talented QB we've ever had and he turns into Daniel Jones 2.0 smh Joe needs to go in 2023.

Comment

• TTThunder
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

1. I know that some here always point to the stats claiming that Lombo offense is good!

I would like to use another simple measurement - feedback from fans.

As I recal, there was NO complaint about our 2020 team passing offense...

How about 2021 & 2022 passing offense? Some complaints on 2021 passing offense and so many for 2022...

2. I consider the running game as equal (still suck pretty bad), but our 2020 passing offense is a lot more exciting!

(Our 2022 passing offense is excited in a way - we are always on edge praying / hoping that the ball is not intercepted (since there is so little room for errors)...)

3. I didn't recall Herbert had any batted down ball in 2020, but there are a lot in 2021 & 2022...

4. I didn't recall our WR catching the balls behind 1st down marker in 2020. Now it becomes a norm...

5. Besides, our former OC is doing great in his 2nd year with Hurts in Philly...

(I believe Staley must be regretted, not giving him a chance.

Once his first choice as OC is not available, he should have kept OC & QB coach. If they do not improve, fire them a year later...)

6. Did Lombo offense improve in year 2?

Consider only our first 2 games (before injuries hit), I'd say 'No'...

7. Last, is Lombo offense a fit to Herbert 's abilities? I'd say 'No' again...

(Seeing our former OC did magic with Hurts made me want to fire Lombo today (and that will still be months too late!)...)

Go Bolts!!!

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TTThunder View Post
            1. I know that some here always point to the stats claiming that Lombo offense is good!

How about 2021 & 2022 passing offense? Some complaints on 2021 passing offense and so many for 2022...

2. I consider the running game as equal (still suck pretty bad), but our 2020 passing offense is a lot more exciting!

(Our 2022 passing offense is excited in a way - we are always on edge praying / hoping that the ball is not intercepted (since there is so little room for errors)...)

3. I didn't recall Herbert had any batted down ball in 2020, but there are a lot in 2021 & 2022...

4. I didn't recall our WR catching the balls behind 1st down marker in 2020. Now it becomes a norm...

5. Besides, our former OC is doing great in his 2nd year with Hurts in Philly...

Once his first choice as OC is not available, he should have kept OC & QB coach. If they do not improve, fire them a year later...)

(Seeing our former OC did magic with Hurts made me want to fire Lombo today (and that will still be months too late!)...)

Go Bolts!!!
            ^ This...especially bolded part...all those bat-downs and deflections, some for picks...wonder if it's because Lombo has instructed Herbie to take a short drop and quickly fire the rock to our wideouts on those short stick routes...and the D players are just waiting for it and raise their arms immediately...when Herbie scrambles and passes, never see any bat-downs...wonder if he took a deeper drop when Stitch was the OC...

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TTThunder View Post

Go Bolts!!!
              I don't disagree but IMO, I think the biggest difference between 2020 and these last 2 years has been opposing defenses and their approach to Herbert.
              In 2020, defenses were more aggressive (blitzing) assuming Herbert would struggle like most rookie QBs do.
              turns out, he quickly learned how to beat the blitz which accounted for a lot of his amazing deep passes.
              last 2 years, defenses have put a stop to that and are forcing him to play smallball, which he excelled at in 2021 with all the healthy bodies and a strong Oline.

I still think Lombardi has to be upgraded but fortunately/unfortunately, Herbert's ability is so great that he could succeed with healthy ribs and a bottom 5 OC
              and that's what I think Lombardi is.

My only interest rn is evaluating Staley bc it's clear to me that Herbert is surviving in spite of Lombardi, and not because of him. Any other qb would crumble given Herbert's circumstances in 2022 imo which is why I'm still so impressed with JH.
              think of all the elite qbs this season, who could do what Herbert has done with that injury, injuries on O and Lombardi coordinating the offense?
              Not Allen, not Mahomes
              MAYBE brady, due to his experience and football IQ.
              G-Ro knows.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Utah
                • Midnight Toker
                • Send PM

This..... This is EXACTLY WHAT I AM SAYING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

I was hoping no one else saw that.
                  it's embarrassing, but deserved.
                  G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Good examples of what most of us have been fed up with.

My opinion of Staley will be based on whether he keeps Lombardi or brings in a new OC next year.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2021
                      • Carlsbad, CA
                      • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Good examples of what most of us have been fed up with.

My opinion of Staley will be based on whether he keeps Lombardi or brings in a new OC next year.

Staley and TT.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Yep...ugh...ugly...he talks about Lombo forcing Herbie into an O where Herbie is the worst in the league in "depth of target"...never mind that Herbie has a cannon of an arm with excellent accuracy...but no...Lombo doggedly dials up those 5-yd. stick routes--same as he dialed up for Drew Brees and his noodle arm in his last year or two...

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                          Outback Goon
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Australia
                          • Send PM

the crossing routes are coming back boys

Herb just needs more time in pocket

Comment

Working...
                          X