Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Our OC and Herbert's injury will be the dominant storylines of this season's shortcomings.
    Good.
    Hopefully this forces Staley's hand, even if he has some personal loyalty to him.

Do SOMETHING.
    If Staley wants to keep Lombo, then tinker with the personnel yourself. I know it's blasphemous and ignorant to value speed on offense for some reason, but let's get some athletes out there and stretch this field.
    I have to agree with chainy, I don't see special in Palmer thus far, just a whole lot of hype and a missed opportunity to step up when his mentor was out.
    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Duck of Death
      Social Piranha
      • May 2022
      • Flyover, USA
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

There is absolutey no question about one thing....Joe Lombardi is not maximizing Herbert's talents.
      I can’t disagree with this, but to his credit, things did pick up last year after a slow start. KA is a HUGE part of this offense who sets the table for everything else - much like how Davante did for the Pack, who clearly miss him. It will be much better when KA returns. Lombardi ain’t goin anywhere so we have little choice but to be patient.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
        I wonder about our HC? Isn't he the one in charge? If our OC isn't calling a good game, why doesn't Staley do something about it. All those behind the los passes and never throwing it deep - why didn't Staley step in? Come on coach, do your job.

I do want to add this - KC was playing their Safeties very deep so part of this is because Spags game planned to stop the deep stuff. But, why so many behind the los passes?

All that's to say I'm not so certain it's all on our OC.
        Agreed.
        buck stops at HC.
        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Good.
          Hopefully this forces Staley's hand, even if he has some personal loyalty to him.

Do SOMETHING.
          If Staley wants to keep Lombo, then tinker with the personnel yourself. I know it's blasphemous and ignorant to value speed on offense for some reason, but let's get some athletes out there and stretch this field.
          I have to agree with chainy, I don't see special in Palmer thus far, just a whole lot of hype and a missed opportunity to step up when his mentor was out.
          Cant disagree. Its only 2 games but aside from the late TD last night, it seems every time Herbert looks to Palmer not much postive is really happening. He looks like a pretty average WR who lacks speed and cant separate.

Carter has been a nice surprise, but I think the same thing I thought before this season. To take the next level the Charger offence needs a top end, WR with speed who can take the lid of the defence, make some plays in the open field and break games open. Why would you not make this a priority addition when you have the best and strongest arm in football?

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

How about that double pass behind the line of scrimmage play? What the hell was that?

I’m all for trick plays, but ones that work, like a RB option pass or a normal WR double pass (downfield). Those are often effective. But 2 long passes all the way across the field behind the line? What was Ekeler supposed to do after he caught it? That was a fireable offense right there.

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Cant disagree. Its only 2 games but aside from the late TD last night, it seems every time Herbert looks to Palmer not much postive is really happening. He looks like a pretty average WR who lacks speed and cant separate.

Carter has been a nice surprise, but I think the same thing I thought before this season. To take the next level the Charger offence needs a top end, WR with speed who can take the lid of the defence, make some plays in the open field and break games open. Why would you not make this a priority addition when you have the best and strongest arm in football?
              Josh Allen went into mega stardom once they got Diggs.

No coincidence IMO. Granted that team is stacked, but still.
              ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post

I can’t disagree with this, but to his credit, things did pick up last year after a slow start. KA is a HUGE part of this offense who sets the table for everything else - much like how Davante did for the Pack, who clearly miss him. It will be much better when KA returns. Lombardi ain’t goin anywhere so we have little choice but to be patient.
                KA played the 2nd half of the Raiders game so that excuse doesn’t wash.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

I wonder about our HC? Isn't he the one in charge? If our OC isn't calling a good game, why doesn't Staley do something about it. All those behind the los passes and never throwing it deep - why didn't Staley step in? Come on coach, do your job.

I do want to add this - KC was playing their Safeties very deep so part of this is because Spags game planned to stop the deep stuff. But, why so many behind the los passes?

All that's to say I'm not so certain it's all on our OC.
                  Good point on all the behind the LOS passes. A couple worked only because Ekeler slipped a tackle. After the first one failed, I was scratching my head as to why Ekeler wasn’t running downfield for quick outlet passes versus running sideways.

Bad play calling and Lombardi kept calling it.

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

KA played the 2nd half of the Raiders game so that excuse doesn’t wash.
                    No he didn't. He left the game early in the 2nd quarter. He was in street clothes for the second half.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Riverwalk
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

No he didn't. He left the game early in the 2nd quarter. He was in street clothes for the second half.
                      Thanks for the correction. So Lombardi can’t adjust when KA is out.

Comment

• Originally posted by captaind View Post

You just can't leave it alone, can you? Guyton hasn't caught a pass all season because he's the last option at WR. Palmer is light years better, thus the reason he's in the regular rotation. Get the fuck over it.
                        We know Guyton can produce. He has already proved that in the past. By contrast, Palmer has been targeted 12 times for a whopping 35 yards.

It is the team that can't get over that Palmer is proving to be unworthy of where he was selected. They have tried to force feed him the ball and he simply has not been up to the task.

These coaches are basically the same group that decided to keep K.J. Hill over Tyron Johnson after Johnson had produced the best QB rating when targeted of any qualifying receiver in the entire NFL in 2020, proving that he works well with Herbert. The coaches have already long since proven that they are not infallible when it comes to WR decisions.

Before the season began, I flat out stated that if the offense increases Palmer's role at the expense of Guyton, the offense will suffer. Did you think that was some kind of guess? It was not. It does not take a genius to figure it out.

Palmer has poor separation stats and is not given much of a cushion because he has terrible moves. Nobody fears him. He is not big enough or athletic enough to excel on contested catches. He does not have elite deep speed. Palmer is averaging less than 3 yards per target, which is absolutely putrid.

The offense needs to spread the attempts given to Palmer among the starters, Guyton and Carter. Palmer needs to be the #5 WR.

If you disagree, please tell me, how does Palmer win? I am still waiting for a meaningful response to that question that I have asked at least 10 times now. How does Palmer win?

I would love to have been wrong about Palmer. Unfortunately, I have been pretty dead on right about him so far.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

A splash of Spiller.
                          A pinch of Parham.
                          A tablespoon of Slayer.

Lombardi was trying to cook a dish without any umami.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X