• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Ekeler is a leader? Haven't seen anything out of him that would scream leader to me. Very good player, always in shape but someone who blows off voluntary camps and appears much more interested in what is in it for him. I do not blame him for that in the least but Ekeler comes across as the league is a means to an end.
    Guys in the lockerroom credit him for being one of the vocal leaders. It’s a means to an end for all of them. But he leads. We don’t have a QB who is a vocal leader which is an issue.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Again, complete BS! I never said that leadership isn't important. I question your ability (or anyone's) to decifer whether Staley is a leader without actually being on the field on Sunday... or practices... or team meetings. Players consistently want to remain with the Chargers. Khalil Mack wanted to play for Staley. SJD wanted to play for Staley. Morgan Fox wanted to play for Staley (twice).

If you want to second guess the coaches/players for their collapse against the Jaguars, fine. They went conservative. Analytics will tell you that's the right approach. Let them run. Let them have the underneath stuff. Let the clock run. On offense, run the ball, throw the short completion. Let the clock run. Again, if Dicker hits the 22-yard chip shot... we win.

Personally, I don't like the conservative approach. I'd like to blow people out. I'd like to see that killer instinct. I'd venture to say that's why Lombardi was let go and Moore is in. The Chargers jumped at the opportunity when Moore was let go. Moore agreed to come coach for the Chargers when he probably could have waited for a more lucrative offer from another team. But I bet he wants to win. There's the leadership you crave. There's that desire to win that you crave.

You're welcome.
      Fair enough:

I base my evaluation of Staley's leadership abilities on;

His ability to direct and control his coaching staff
      His willingness to make difficult decisions - not abdicating responsibility to others (players)
      His ability to make adjustments or prepare his staff to do so
      His creativity in developing plays, and teaching his players how to execute them

HIs players ability to perform with discipline and maintain their composure
      His players ability to perform within the scheme (training / comprehension / execution)
      His players preparation level - both starters and backups
      His players abilities to cope with difficult circumstances (staying focused / handling adversity)
      His players abilities to adapt to changing conditions (scheme adjustments)

I can evaluate the above from my sofa at home;
      He allowed Lombardi to run the offense into the ground (all year) without correction, he allowed players to influence his decisions, he was not good making scheme adjustments and/or requiring said adjustments of his coaching staff, I saw no evidence of anything creative to give his team an advantage, his players did not play with discipline, they had scheme breakdowns, with guys wide open, they missed many (many) tackles (training / accountability), his backup players were generally not prepared to play properly in his scheme, and the defense fell apart at the worst possible times when adversity hit (Davis injury), etc.

Not even getting into his decision to play his starters in the meaningless Denver game, leading to MW's loss for the playoff game. He also played Lindsley, Herbert, Bosa, Mack, Eckler, Pipkins, Davis, etc for large portions of that game (which he lost anyway - to a team with a stand-in coach and absolutely nothing to play for except pride). Check the play sheet.

I guess it could all be BS and I'm making it up . . . . . . and he's really a great leader / teacher / coach . . . . . .

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

As Red Sanders said, Winning isnt everything, its the only thing.

Edit; and Bum Philips was a cheater who never won anything.
        But, u must admit, good 'ole Bum had style as he strutted on the sidelines wearing that 10-gallon hat and pumping his fist into the air as they played the "Houston Oilers Theme Song"...
        (And if he DID cheat, he came nowhere close to Belicheat...)

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Fair enough:

I base my evaluation of Staley's leadership abilities on;

His ability to direct and control his coaching staff
          His willingness to make difficult decisions - not abdicating responsibility to others (players)
          His ability to make adjustments or prepare his staff to do so
          His creativity in developing plays, and teaching his players how to execute them

HIs players ability to perform with discipline and maintain their composure
          His players ability to perform within the scheme (training / comprehension / execution)
          His players preparation level - both starters and backups
          His players abilities to cope with difficult circumstances (staying focused / handling adversity)
          His players abilities to adapt to changing conditions (scheme adjustments)

I can evaluate the above from my sofa at home;
          He allowed Lombardi to run the offense into the ground (all year) without correction, he allowed players to influence his decisions, he was not good making scheme adjustments and/or requiring said adjustments of his coaching staff, I saw no evidence of anything creative to give his team an advantage, his players did not play with discipline, they had scheme breakdowns, with guys wide open, they missed many (many) tackles (training / accountability), his backup players were generally not prepared to play properly in his scheme, and the defense fell apart at the worst possible times when adversity hit (Davis injury), etc.

Not even getting into his decision to play his starters in the meaningless Denver game, leading to MW's loss for the playoff game. He also played Lindsley, Herbert, Bosa, Mack, Eckler, Pipkins, Davis, etc for large portions of that game (which he lost anyway - to a team with a stand-in coach and absolutely nothing to play for except pride). Check the play sheet.

I guess it could all be BS and I'm making it up . . . . . . and he's really a great leader / teacher / coach . . . . . .

I'd say you can't evaluate most of that from your sofa as you aren't in the locker room or on the practice field.

Perhaps he allowed Lombardi to run the offense and wasn't satisfied and why he is gone. Did we expect a firing mid season?

I didnt, and we didn't promote from within. We hired someone else.

This reminds me of the "He has lost the locker room" chatter which is fan speak for i am irritated with the team and this coach.

Clearly he never lost the locker room.
          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Well, if that's what you see from your couch... you should pull the couch in a little closer.

Big picture... the Chargers went 10-7 with multiple Pro Bowlers missing multiple games. Teams don't survive that unless they have decent depth or great coaching. None of the other teams that had injury problems (in proportion to us) even approached .500 The truth is, the players played their hearts out for this coach. If you couldn't see that... then you're just not looking. Do yourself a favor... turn the volume of the TV off, like I do. All of your talking points parrot what know-nothing commentators were saying at certain parts of the season. Watch with your eyes... not your ears... not your heart.

I'll briefly address some of your mis-conceptions:

The most obvious victory was when a rookie 6th round guard (Salyer) stepped in at LT (a position the pundits all said he was ill-suited to play in the NFL) and played at an above-average level (69.2). Now, I don't mean to piss anyone off with a PFF grade... but in some cases, an objective evaluator is needed. Because some of y'all see what you want to see. Or you let commentators do the seeing for you... Salyer was obviously coached up by someone. Extra protection was rolled his way early on. But by the end of the season, protection was rolling Pip's way. That shows coaching, preparation, adjustment, and resiliency to adversity.

The secondary came together... even when their Pro Bowl, multi-million FA went down. Vato's play, in particular, sky-rocketed. ASJ's play improved also. The coverage schemes are complex. Rotation and disguise of coverages is required. That's why you saw improvement from those specific players. That doesn't happen without coaching and preparation. It's probably why Calahan was able to process and play at a high level so quickly. He had played the scheme previously. You saw the results during the 1st half of the Jaguars game. It's also why JCJ wasn't playing up to his normal level. Learning the system takes time. BTW, the benching of JCJ showed that Staley does hold players responsible.

Nwosu let go, Mack brought in... recognition and accountability.
            SJD and Austin Johnson brought in... recognition and accountability.
            Fox and Callahan brought in... recognition and accountability.
            Tillery cut mid-season... accountability.
            KVN brought in and asked to play OLB... scheme adjustment and preparation.

I'm trying to keep this brief... but I could go on. All of your pre-requisites are there... you're just not recognizing it.
            Staley was asked to implement his scheme with ill-suited Gusly players. It wasn't going to happen overnight. And it wasn't going to happen with multiple injuries at multiple positions. Scoot your couch closer and turn off the commentary. Year 3 approaches...

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Well, if that's what you see from your couch... you should pull the couch in a little closer.

Big picture... the Chargers went 10-7 with multiple Pro Bowlers missing multiple games. Teams don't survive that unless they have decent depth or great coaching. None of the other teams that had injury problems (in proportion to us) even approached .500 The truth is, the players played their hearts out for this coach. If you couldn't see that... then you're just not looking. Do yourself a favor... turn the volume of the TV off, like I do. All of your talking points parrot what know-nothing commentators were saying at certain parts of the season. Watch with your eyes... not your ears... not your heart.

The most obvious victory was when a rookie 6th round guard (Salyer) stepped in at LT (a position the pundits all said he was ill-suited to play in the NFL) and played at an above-average level (69.2). Now, I don't mean to piss anyone off with a PFF grade... but in some cases, an objective evaluator is needed. Because some of y'all see what you want to see. Or you let commentators do the seeing for you... Salyer was obviously coached up by someone. Extra protection was rolled his way early on. But by the end of the season, protection was rolling Pip's way. That shows coaching, preparation, adjustment, and resiliency to adversity.

The secondary came together... even when their Pro Bowl, multi-million FA went down. Vato's play, in particular, sky-rocketed. ASJ's play improved also. The coverage schemes are complex. Rotation and disguise of coverages is required. That's why you saw improvement from those specific players. That doesn't happen without coaching and preparation. It's probably why Calahan was able to process and play at a high level so quickly. He had played the scheme previously. You saw the results during the 1st half of the Jaguars game. It's also why JCJ wasn't playing up to his normal level. Learning the system takes time. BTW, the benching of JCJ showed that Staley does hold players responsible.

I'm trying to keep this brief... but I could go on. All of your pre-requisites are there... you're just not recognizing it.
              Staley was asked to implement his scheme with ill-suited Gusly players. It wasn't going to happen overnight. And it wasn't going to happen with multiple injuries at multiple positions. Scoot your couch closer and turn off the commentary. Year 3 approaches...
              We'll going to have to disagree then . . . . we'll see next season, when the proof's in the puddin

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Absolute truth....keep this up, Nutty, and Ill be a full blown disciple...may even start mocking OTs in the first round, lol...

But very well put, echoing much of what I think of Staley and this team....
                The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Brugler's "Pre-Beast" has a clump of EDGE/DT prospects ~ @ #50.

Renner has similar thoughts.

Your mission is to determine exactly which ones fit our needs for certain skills and depth.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Solid post. Nice to hear from an honest fan that watches games with his mind engaged, not just his emotions.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

It’s Nut’s world, it is.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        Brugler's "Pre-Beast" has a clump of EDGE/DT prospects ~ @ #50.

Renner has similar thoughts.

Your mission is to determine exactly which ones fit our needs for certain skills and depth.
                        Wood, can u give us a mini-clusta here?

Comment

• electricgold
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

Fact, to go 10-7 we beat one team with a winning record last season, and I would go as far as saying if Tyreek Hill wasn't hurt in that game we probably would of lost that game too!

I will say this and I'm hoping we make the playoffs and at least win one post season game next season, we will know once and for all if Staley can coach based on this coming year and the results period explanation point. I would say as of today and based on his first 2 years here we don't know. You saw what KC did with a great HC playing the same teams as we did last year record wise, and you saw what we did. KC and The Chargers both had franchise QB's.

Comment

Working...
                          X