Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

In the meantime seems like we need to sign Jay Ajai or Carlos Hyde I like Eckler and Jackson, I just don't know it they are built to carry the load week to week, but if they split the load maybe they can
    While I've havent been to camp this year, JJacks looks bigger/thicker/filled out. His lower body looks to have more muscle mass.
    As a Committee backfield, they should succeed with their varied skill sets. JJacks - 200ish carries, Ekkie - 100-150 carries, leave about 75-125 carries for the rest.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Remember when we used to talk about LT getting 400 carries for 2000 yards. Insane looking back at it.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

MG has always been a frustrating player to watch. All the physical ability one could hope for at the position, but it was only half way through last season he stopped going down when a defender brushed his ankle. Just very frustrating seeing all those yards left on the field, all those stopped drives. Plus the missed games. And that dreaded word, degenerative. Who knows what really is going on there but something or else there would be zero mention. Now a holdout and "disrespect" after a raise the team didn't even have to offer when the current contract is more than fair? MG and his agents are just being dumb and greedy. Or smart cuz of his knee? Either way, not hate just more frustration. Sigh.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The players agreed to the 5th year option in the last CBA. Haven't heard any talk about this piece being particularly onerous. If it went away, you'd just see players doing it in their 4th year instead.
          It is onerous for running backs because they start to decline at an earlier age (28) than any other position group. The 5th year option allows teams to tie first round picks to their rookie contracts until age 27. That is not fair to a player who has worked hard to succeed. Especially since the team has all the power. If the player is overvalued, the team gets to keep him for an extra year at below-market salary. If the player is undervalued, they can just release him. It's an unequal balance between ownership and the players.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
            It is onerous for running backs because they start to decline at an earlier age (28) than any other position group. The 5th year option allows teams to tie first round picks to their rookie contracts until age 27. That is not fair to a player who has worked hard to succeed. Especially since the team has all the power. If the player is overvalued, the team gets to keep him for an extra year at below-market salary. If the player is undervalued, they can just release him. It's an unequal balance between ownership and the players.
            Nothing inequitable about an agreement that both the players and owners agreed to. Hard to feel sorry for something they signed off on.

Comment

• Big Dog
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
              One thing that bothers me about this whole thing is how ugly some fans have already gotten...this holdout isn't nasty yet...no reason to hate on Melvin...he isn't doing anything dozens of other players haven't already done. Let's just see how it shakes out. If he remains out of our financial plans, and I trust our front office on this, then so be it. Sit him, trade him...but then we are done. But until that happens, I'm still a fan. Though I'm not nearly as worried about this, as I am about our left tackle position. Can only hope that our lack of urgency on that front is due to confidence in Okung health, rather than a lack of options.
              It has gotten ugly because of how MG3 and his agents played their hand ... dirty and nasty ...

They flat out lied, saying he would not hold out, so that the Chargers wouldn't draft a RB and wouldn't sign a FA running back ... this ain't Levon Bell, he played out his contract and was franchise tagged (whole different conversation) ... and why didn't MG3 do that too, because next year too many players who are more important to the team are up for signing ... plus he throws the trade me thing out there ... and this is our best team and best chance at a SB in more than a decade ...

PS - also didn't like him treating PR like that either, Philip didn't say anything bad about MG in that clip ...

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Would the Bolts really have drafted a rb? We cant say that for sure because we had more team needs than picks.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Big Dog
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  Would the Bolts really have drafted a rb? We cant say that for sure because we had more team needs than picks.
                  Maybe not 1st or 2nd pick ... but definitely after that and especially day 3 ...

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Ifs, buts, & maybes = unknown

week 10 at the latest

2020 draft looks deep with quality prospects at RB

JJacks is going to have a very productive season

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                      Ifs, buts, & maybes = unknown

week 10 at the latest

2020 draft looks deep with quality prospects at RB

JJacks is going to have a very productive season
                      I think you are right. JJ should have big numbers. The only thing I think he does not do as well as MG is pure top speed. Other than that I think JJ may even be more consistent in the 10-20 yard runs than MG.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                        Day One...
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Brentwood, 94513
                        • Send PM

We and the Chargers knew at some point Melvin was going to try to get paid. That's the business. The fact they drafted a rb, in Jackson shows that they knew this might happen. We have too many good players to pay everyone. But if we could, I'd rolled with Gordon rb1 and Jackson rb2.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Nothing inequitable about an agreement that both the players and owners agreed to. Hard to feel sorry for something they signed off on.
                          Yep, agree. If it's not fair, then the players need to get the 5th year option on the agenda for the next round of CBA negotiations. In the meantime, it's in writing, it's the "law," so to speak, and when they sign the dotted line, they're obligated to follow through on it, or there are consequences.

Comment

Working...
                          X