Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Our computer models are showing
    Melvin Gordon for Trent Williams
    is a perfect match.
    Bump.

This was a facetitious comment
    towards a singular poster,
    and included a secret, coded message.

Unfortunately, I carelessly unleashed the forces of the rabid, marauding TPB Oline dogs.

To clarify, I am against trading for Trent Williams, and do not see us trading Melvin Gordon to anyone.

Carry on.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

I think Chargers feel okay with the RBs right now and view it as we fine paychecks of Gordon as he misses time, until week 10 when he has to come back and then we have a healthy fresh Gordon for final stretch of season for about 2mil.

Melvin should fold and sign for 10mil sooner than later. But I dont think he folds.

Chargers will wait. I don't think they are shopping him for a trade either. So another team will have to call the Chargers and ask what it will take. Is any team going to call?

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Chargers will wait. I don't think they are shopping him for a trade either. So another team will have to call the Chargers and ask what it will take. Is any team going to call?

Teams could have gotten Bell for about the same money for a more productive RB and didn't have to give up ANYTHING to sign him as a FA. The only team that was interested was the NYJ, and we now know that was mostly for the publicity. I can't see any team trading much if anything of value for Gordon.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Teams could have gotten Bell for about the same money for a more productive RB and didn't have to give up ANYTHING to sign him as a FA. The only team that was interested was the NYJ, and we now know that was mostly for the publicity. I can't see any team trading much if anything of value for Gordon.
          Teams that can pay an RB that kind of money have qb's on rookie deals like the Rams, Az and NYJ. I do t think Bell is a publicity stunt in NY. He'll help Darnold a lot.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Then why did the HC say he really wasn't a fan of the signing and they fired the GM? (https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/05/jet...ract-instagram). A large segment of the fan base hates the move. They are probably right, since the Jets OL, while it is a lot better than it was, still is only a middle of the road group. Their skill positions are not very good either, and their D sucks, which is always a bad deal when you want to keep getting the ball to your RB.

Where the team gets the cap space from is irrelevant. The issue is do they have cap space to spend on a "luxury" item (pay for more than market value of the RB)? Half the teams in the league have enough cap space to fit in an overpriced RB, if they wanted to. They simply don't feel like overpaying for RB money.

Again, as noted before, the top 3 RB salaries are not in line with the rest of the salaries that the NFL RB have, so there is a limit on how much teams are likely to want to spend.
            salarycap_August3rd.png

As far as value for Gordon, it strickly depends on what you mean. The highest pick we can hope for is the 3rd round comp pick, but that assumes someone is willing to pay big money, otherwise, we get a lower round pick. If we take a lower round pick now, we get some "value" in that the pick would happen before the 2021 draft, which is when the draft pick would be ready to use.

Attached Files

Comment

• Budsman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Then why did the HC say he really wasn't a fan of the signing and they fired the GM? (https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/05/jet...ract-instagram). A large segment of the fan base hates the move. They are probably right, since the Jets OL, while it is a lot better than it was, still is only a middle of the road group. Their skill positions are not very good either, and their D sucks, which is always a bad deal when you want to keep getting the ball to your RB.

Where the team gets the cap space from is irrelevant. The issue is do they have cap space to spend on a "luxury" item (pay for more than market value of the RB)? Half the teams in the league have enough cap space to fit in an overpriced RB, if they wanted to. They simply don't feel like overpaying for RB money.

Again, as noted before, the top 3 RB salaries are not in line with the rest of the salaries that the NFL RB have, so there is a limit on how much teams are likely to want to spend.
              salarycap_August3rd.png

As far as value for Gordon, it strickly depends on what you mean. The highest pick we can hope for is the 3rd round comp pick, but that assumes someone is willing to pay big money, otherwise, we get a lower round pick. If we take a lower round pick now, we get some "value" in that the pick would happen before the 2021 draft, which is when the draft pick would be ready to use.
              We get more value from Gordon this year in week ten on than a third round pick.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

salarycap_August3rd.png

The linked article doesn't say Gase was against the signing or that it was a publicity stunt. He says he's excited to have him. He does imply that he might not like the contract but says that has nothing to do with the player. The Jets are a much better team with L'Veon Bell. He's proven. Adam Gase isnt

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

if I was a Jets can I'd be stoked to have L'Veon Bell. And I'd be smh about hiring Adam Gase after a poor showing in Miami

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                    I think Chargers feel okay with the RBs right now and view it as we fine paychecks of Gordon as he misses time, until week 10 when he has to come back and then we have a healthy fresh Gordon for final stretch of season for about 2mil.

Melvin should fold and sign for 10mil sooner than later. But I dont think he folds.

I like Melvin but I wouldn't sign him to the 10 million deal. Just let him go in FA and use the cap space for more important players.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                      if I was a Jets can I'd be stoked to have L'Veon Bell. And I'd be smh about hiring Adam Gase after a poor showing in Miami
                      Not really a poor showing. His starting QBs played well above career norms, Tannehill shone when he actually played , but tore his ACL and missed about half the games he was the coach. He even won games with Osweiller. Records need to be put in context. 7-9 last year was a really good job IMO.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The linked article doesn't say Gase was against the signing or that it was a publicity stunt. He says he's excited to have him. He does imply that he might not like the contract but says that has nothing to do with the player. The Jets are a much better team with L'Veon Bell. He's proven. Adam Gase isnt
                        Wrong article, sorry.

New York Jets running back Le'Veon Bell responded Wednesday to a report that head coach Adam Gase did not want the team to sign the ex-Pittsburgh Steeler in the offseason...

As far as liked the player, didn't like the money, that is the same thing as not wanting him. You can spin it any way you want, but Gase is saying that he wouldn't have signed him. Not sure how anyone could read it any other way. There are two parts to any player signing, and they BOTH have to fit together. Same thing with the Jets overspending on an ILB (CJ Mosley).

More importantly, a big part of the NY fan base doesn't want him because they feel it is a waste of salary cap space. Salary cap mismanagement has been the the root of the Jets problems since Rex Ryan was the HC. They keep signing FA who are ineffective and a waste of space.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

If Le'Veon produces, the fans will love him. If he doesn't, they'll hate him.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X