• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I keep saying, Detrez will surprise many, and Jackson is pretty decent also. Cox...looks promising, but need to see him in preseason...
    & don't forget Troymaine Pope!

Sub 4.5 40, 1800 yards his senior season w/ 19 touchdowns (L.T.???)

& don't forget Derek Watt!

Chargers surprise league by using lead fullback blasts early & often on downs.

Gordon was holding this team back!!!

:below:

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
      If we are to compete for and win the Lombardi this year, will must outscore such teams as KC, NE, LAR, NO.

We have a bite at the apple here.

It is not time for anyone, fans, MG's agents, or FO to make a statement about tough, hard nosed contract negotiating.

All sides must compromise.

Get real.

...or wait for TJ Yeldon to be released by the overstocked Bills.
      We will win more games in 2019 with D & STs than by shootouts, by a large margin with or without Gordon.
      I like him and think we are better with him playing but not by a great deal over the backups. Hopefully LAC & MGIII can have meaningful talks that result in his playing as a Charger.
      Meanwhile, I'm chafing at the bit to see my 2019 Chargers that take the field. This is out best team in a long time, with or without Gordon.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
        Ekeler is the strongest guy on the team pound for pound. He's built to take a pounding. Give him more touches.

And he got hurt on special teams when he took a helmet to the side of the head. Screwed up his neck. That's a freak injury.
        This is more wishful thinking more than anything else. There's a reason cruiser weights champions don't move up & win the heavy weight title, Evander Holyfield being the exception

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

We will win more games in 2019 with D & STs than by shootouts, by a large margin with or without Gordon.
          I like him and think we are better with him playing but not by a great deal over the backups. Hopefully LAC & MGIII can have meaningful talks that result in his playing as a Charger.
          Meanwhile, I'm chafing at the bit to see my 2019 Chargers that take the field. This is out best team in a long time, with or without Gordon.
          What is your prediction vs KC w/Mahomes + Tyreek ?
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

What is your prediction vs KC w/Mahomes + Tyreek ?
            LOL! It's a little early but....LAC 31 - KC 17. I think we can force turnovers and favorable Chargers field position.
            I'm way bullish on the Chargers D and believe STs are much better on avg.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

LOL! It's a little early but....LAC 31 - KC 17. I think we can force turnovers and favorable Chargers field position.
              I'm way bullish on the Chargers D and believe STs are much better on avg.
              My way too early prediction is we will need to score 45.

We play them late, so hopefully the evidence against Tyreek will be unsealed.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

The Chargers were unbeaten when MG rush for +100 yards last year.
                But it happened only 3 times.
                In the 9 others games he played, they are 5-4 !
                The 4 games he didn't play, LAC are 4-0 !!!!!
                That's not really the ideal stat for negotiate a new contract.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

This is more wishful thinking more than anything else. There's a reason cruiser weights champions don't move up & win the heavy weight title, Evander Holyfield being the exception
                  I'm not sure the cruiserweight analogy works. NO RB is as strong as the OL and DL that they face.

MG is a strong, physical runner, but he is not in the same class as the DL and LB who are trying to tackle him. They are much bigger, and most are a lot stronger. Ekeler might (probably) is stronger than Gordon. Just in terms of strength, I don't think that is the issue.

As far as skills go, there is a difference between the two of them. Ekeler is more of a zone runner who puts his foot in the ground and makes slashing cuts, getting upfield quickly .Gordon is more of a power runner, staying behind his blockers and setting things up until it is time to explode into space. Both are good runners.

That being said, Ekeler doesn't seem to do well when he is the starter. Some of that is our OL is a better power blocking group.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

My way too early prediction is we will need to score 45.

We play them late, so hopefully the evidence against Tyreek will be unsealed.
                    I could see 45 possible with takeaways & defensive TDs. We'll have that potential.

I suspect we'll play Mahomes tougher this year with last year's experience and D improvements. Our D talent, speed & depth looks impressive.
                    I'm ready.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Ekeler is not a replacement for MG III. That's laughable. As a starter he'll get buried and don't @ me with that pound for pound b.s. He is probably better in space and making guys miss but we don't seem to have much of that. MG III is a better power runner by far.

JJ is unproven and for sure has not developed into the receiver that MG III is. He is a good stop gap and development RB but not a bell cow.

If Coryell was designing the offense I'd have less concerns but Lynn wants a balanced attack and wants to be able to pound the ball. Rivers isn't getting any younger and the idea of depending on him doesn't sit well with me. He needs the balance which is why Lynn has been successful in emphasizing it.

We won won a couple of very close games without MG III. I wouldn't count on that continuing.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Ekeler has done well as a change of pace guy. When he's the pace guy not so well

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

The NFL is full of player who are around 200 lbs and play a lot of snaps. Austin Ekeler is short, but there have been of a ton of shortish players who have been good RB.

To think that he is too small to be a regular RB is just stupid. Guys are playing on virtually every team at that size. That is just ignorance saying he is too small. Pure ignorance.

Besides NFL LB are a lot smaller than they were. If he had to break tackles of 260 lb MIke LB, it might be an issue, but those guys are not playing in the NFL anymore.

Ekeler doesn't figure in as a starting RB in our current offense because of his skills. He can run power running plays, but that is not his strength. His strength as a player is using his quickness and getting upfield quickly. He has the strength to run through arm tackles, but he is just a lot better in space. Patience behind pulling OL is not his strength, he can do it, but not as well as just putting his foot into the ground. That is why he is averaging 5.0+ ypc for his career. He does a great job of picking up the blitz, after being awful at it his rookie year.

JJ and DN are both guys who can do the power running thing. THey need to prove they can handle the pass protection role that an NFL RB has to have. They are both good power and zone runners who can be good receivers. But if you can't adjust to the blitz, you aren't going to play for long as an NFL RB. Both seemed to do fine when asked, but their playing time was limited, so time will tell on that.

Comment

Working...
                          X