• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CivilBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    Good digging Velo. I kind of agree but I seem to recall that he missed some games (I think it was in his Soph. year) because he got hurt running the ball. I have kind of mixed emotions about the idea. He can run alright but I'm not sure it's smart, if he goes down we won't have nearly as good an offense.
    Carson Wentz injury is a good example. I agree with running in moderation and only when it is wide open after the third or fourth read.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
      BTW, Herbert is basically the Megatron of the QB position.

“His forearms and hands look like he has been digging fence-post holes his entire life.” -Drew Brees

That’s why I endorse the moniker: Herbatron

I hope it sticks.

62390956-7145-45B4-9E74-AFB1D1198E0E.jpeg
      Love it.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        I may be in the minority on this, because of the risk of injury it poses, but I would like to see Herbert run more in 2021, be more like Josh Allen in that regard. In three seasons, Allen has racked up 1,562 yds on the ground and scored 25 TDs. (That's six more scores than Lamar Jackson over the same time period.) When we drafted Herbert, I looked at his Rose Bowl tape and thought we where getting a running QB who would do more with his legs at first than with his arm. His prowess as a passer was not evident in the Rose Bowl at all. (I attribute that to the Ducks' lack of receiving talent.)

Per Pro Football Reference...

Allen is 6-5 237
        Herbert is 6-6 236

Allen's 2018 Combine 40 time was 4.76
        Herbert's 2020 Combine time was 4.69

Allen has average exactly 100 rushes per season (300 total) for a 5.2 avg
        Herbert rushed 55 times as a rookie for a 4.3 avg

But Allen's propensity to run I attribute to his lack of maturity as a passer earlier in his career, especially as a rookie. Allen was nowhere near Herbert's ability as a passer as a rookie. Allen's rush avg in his 2nd and 3rd seasons is 4.4, almost the same as Herbert. In 2020 Allen's ypc was 4.1.

Allen rushed 102 times for 421 yds in 2020, with 8 scores. Herbert rushed 55 times for 234 yds, with 5 scores.

I'd like to see Herbert increase his rushing attempts/yardage by 50 percent, at least, in 2021. Based on 2020, that would be 83 rushes, 350 yds, 8 TDs. I'd really like to see him run for 500 yds a season and score 10+ times on the ground.
        I don't ever want to see Herbert get hit. So maybe some sideline sprints now and again, but no planned runs.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
          Draftnik
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I don't ever want to see Herbert get hit. So maybe some sideline sprints now and again, but no planned runs.
          I wouldn’t mind some planned runs. Some RPOs, scrambles, goal line dives, etc. He’s just gotta be smart about it and know when to slide and/or duck (haha) outta bounds.

I’d be willing to bet ol’ Herbatron’s put on about 10 lbs of mass since his combine weigh in. That’d put him close to 245-250–practically a TE’s physique.

He’s gotta nasty stiff arm, too. Let’s put it to use, but not all reckless like. Please.

Then again, the Saints offense didn’t have too many QB runs, except for Taysom Hill. The influx of the 9ers offense might add a few wrinkles, though. Who knows, whatever it is, it’ll be fun to watch.
          Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• equivocation
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2021
            • Send PM

Running for a QB should be an opportunistic thing. I still hate Rich Gannon from all those 3rd down scrambles. But Herbert is more dangerous in the air than on the ground, he just needs to punish the defense when they forget he can do it. Then get down or get out unless the yards are absolutely critical.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              French Speaking Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
              Running for a QB should be an opportunistic thing. I still hate Rich Gannon from all those 3rd down scrambles. But Herbert is more dangerous in the air than on the ground, he just needs to punish the defense when they forget he can do it. Then get down or get out unless the yards are absolutely critical.
              That's it !

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Carson Wentz injury is a good example. I agree with running in moderation and only when it is wide open after the third or fourth read.
                And then, slide or take the rock out of bounds...no need to risk injury...

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                  Draftnik
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

Carson Wentz is a reckless chucklehead.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                    Carson Wentz is a reckless chucklehead.
                    "Chucklehead"---good one, Dude...haven't heard that one since the Three Stooges...

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                      Draftnik
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

"Chucklehead"---good one, Dude...haven't heard that one since the Three Stooges...
                      Mark Twain used it all the time.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        I may be in the minority on this, because of the risk of injury it poses, but I would like to see Herbert run more in 2021, be more like Josh Allen in that regard. In three seasons, Allen has racked up 1,562 yds on the ground and scored 25 TDs. (That's six more scores than Lamar Jackson over the same time period.) When we drafted Herbert, I looked at his Rose Bowl tape and thought we where getting a running QB who would do more with his legs at first than with his arm. His prowess as a passer was not evident in the Rose Bowl at all. (I attribute that to the Ducks' lack of receiving talent.)

Per Pro Football Reference...

Allen is 6-5 237
                        Herbert is 6-6 236

Allen's 2018 Combine 40 time was 4.76
                        Herbert's 2020 Combine time was 4.69

Allen has average exactly 100 rushes per season (300 total) for a 5.2 avg
                        Herbert rushed 55 times as a rookie for a 4.3 avg

But Allen's propensity to run I attribute to his lack of maturity as a passer earlier in his career, especially as a rookie. Allen was nowhere near Herbert's ability as a passer as a rookie. Allen's rush avg in his 2nd and 3rd seasons is 4.4, almost the same as Herbert. In 2020 Allen's ypc was 4.1.

Allen rushed 102 times for 421 yds in 2020, with 8 scores. Herbert rushed 55 times for 234 yds, with 5 scores.

I'd like to see Herbert increase his rushing attempts/yardage by 50 percent, at least, in 2021. Based on 2020, that would be 83 rushes, 350 yds, 8 TDs. I'd really like to see him run for 500 yds a season and score 10+ times on the ground.
                        Could you teach Herb to not pound defenders shoulder-first, before we convert him to a wildcat rushing demon. Tell him its ok to try and slip under a hit once in awhile.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                          Agree mostly. Could try some deep routes and if 7 DBs all drop deep he can run for 7-10. But learn to get to the ground before he’s hit. Don’t need to run that more than a couple times a game to keep defenders unsure of what to do.

Uncertainty kills defense.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X