• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Fun video on Justin Herbert getting teased by the spanish speaking Puro channel! Every time I see Puros I want to light up!

:Beer1:

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

The Ducks just beat Ohio State. I wonder if Herbert and Bosa had a little bet on the game?
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Justin Herbert is a very quiet dude, which is kind of what I love about him. He puts his head down, gets the work done and doesn't have anything flashy to say after. He's unfairly given shit for not b...
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• AK47
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
          Fun video on Justin Herbert getting teased by the spanish speaking Puro channel! Every time I see Puros I want to light up!

:Beer1:

Herbert's Spanish Audible: "Andele andele, mami, E.I. E.I. Uh-ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Comment

• equivocation
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2021
            • Send PM

"Our job is not to make it easy. Our job is to make it right."

- Coach Staley

Big props to Herbert being efficient as a pocket passer against a very good defense.

Their talent took away some options (play action, bootlegs)
            Their game plan took away other options (screens, swings, bombs)

Herbert went out there with a DIFFICULT to master offense going against a very good defense and he beat that team.

There were no scrambles. There were no bootlegs. There were no blown coverages. There was little play action. There was some YAC.

There were no easy yards. Herbert earned every one of them in the pocket. All but maybe 5 of his passes were dimes and he operated that complicated offense like a vet. He's 23.

Chargers fans should be way more ecstatic than they seem. Other teams will give up more easy plays. WFT defense played very well. Herbert beat them on game 1 in this scheme, with both his brain and his arm. Rejoice.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Herbert was 31 of 47 which is about 66%, and his receivers had how many drops? He was unbelievably accurate today, and the stats don't even begin to tell that part of the story.

His command of the offense was very good. Good decision making and kept the ball out of trouble. The int looked to me like the ball just got a bit out in front of the receiver, but was basically a good throw. When the all 22 comes out it will be interesting to see if the receiver slowed up or anything.

As far as the receivers go, it was a bit of mixed bag. I thought they looked good. Made a lot of plays on routes that are new to guys. Guys who run mostly short stuff, were making plays downfield, and some of the downfield guys have opened up their route tree with some short stuff. Guys made some extra effort plays, that usually only Ekeler and Allen make. They just need to focus on making the catch and this offense will take a big step up.

This was a big step up for Herbert. This is not the kind of game Herbert would have done well in last season. He really elevated his on schedule plays. The timing and accuracy is just way, way better than last year. He is moving the ball around the receivers so much better. Getting the ball out fast and to the right person.

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

Listening to PCs it sounds like the INT was on a read route that they read differently. That will happen, especially when read and option routes are new to the team.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

I have heard QB talk about making a bad read that leads to an int. Then there are times when they just make a horrible throw, where the ball just doesn't go where you want it to, and then even the right read leads to an int. I think this one was maybe a little bit of both.

I do think, if it had been a WR or Cook, then there is a good chance it's not picked. Sometimes young QB forget that most RB and TE are just not going to be able to go after and adjust to the ball like a top flight pass catcher will.

Herbert did throw into double coverage. The guy in tight under coverage got beat by Anderson, who then had outside leverage. But the S came in over the top and got the int. It is also not clear to me if Anderson was supposed to run a flag or an out. Most option routes are outs, but I am not sure what route he was running. If Herbert's pass was in closer to Anderson, then the WFT DB has to go through the TE, and it isn't an int, but then the DB trailing Anderson has a chance to reach in, so it is likely Herbert wanted to get a little bit of leverage to the outside to keep it away from the trail guy.

The other takeaway is that for a group of guys who really haven't played much together, and are learning a new offense and everything, things went pretty smooth. Plus, it is not like on that one bad play, (in a game full of very impressive plays) Herbert may have just got a little anxious and really wanted the TD. It's not like young QB don't make that particular mistake all the time. And only throwing 1 int in almost 50 dropbacks is still pretty impressive, especially when he had to carry the team like he did.

Comment

• Rugger05
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Herbie had an excellent game yesterday especially when you consider this is his first live action in a new offense. He seemed to have command of everything and minus the INT late in the game he was dialed in and put the ball were it needed to be placed. It was a breath of fresh air getting the ball back with over six minutes left and ending the game in victory formation.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I'll never forget, I was watching a Chiefs game and Rich Gannon was doing color. Mahomes passed Rich Gannon on the Chiefs TD Pass record in his 8th game as pro.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Justin Herbert has a 5-game winning streak happening.

Comment

• SoCalDan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                          Listening to PCs it sounds like the INT was on a read route that they read differently. That will happen, especially when read and option routes are new to the team.
                          If so, probably not a good route, was for Stephen Anderson. I would trust Cook more there, I believe he was out for a breather though during that play.

Comment

Working...
                          X