X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I wasn't saying that Aikman, Newton, and Palmer were great. I was just curious if you actually compared Lawrence to every single quarterback selected #1 overall since John Elway--because I find it quite bold when someone who doesn't scout for a living says that a particular quarterback is ranked as the best to come out of college in almost 40 years. Personally I thought DeShaun Watson was better than Lawrence ever was at Clemson.
    I guess the best way to state it is that I did not compare Lawrence to every single QB over the past 40 years because almost none of them even warranted a comparison.

I think Watson is a great QB, but he simply lacks Lawrence's arm talent. For as good as Watson was, there is no doubt that Lawrence was the more highly regarded QB based upon his tools.

And I agree that the position I took was bold to a degree, but again, pretty much every pundit had Lawrence as the best QB prospect since at least Luck, so the statement was not quite as bold because a number of people went a good part of the way with me on my take.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

His receivers did suck, but I give Herbert a lot of credit for finding a good coach and working very hard on improving his craft. From what I remember, he look vastly better by the time the combine came around than he did at the end of his college career.
      He already looked more polished by the Senior Bowl.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• nomad1946
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2017
        • West Yellowstone, Montana
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
        Anyone still want Simmons?
        Not any more. I did at the time of the draft. I was wrong, I am wrong about things a lot.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Wow.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            Wow.

I don’t want an Aaron Rodgers career. I want a Tom Brady career for Herbert. I want multiple titles with this guy

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Thought this was a fun video on Herbert...

:koolaid:
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                Outback Goon
                • Sep 2018
                • Australia
                • Send PM

Originally posted by nomad1946 View Post

Not any more. I did at the time of the draft. I was wrong, I am wrong about things a lot.
                right there with you fellow diehard

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

What if...

What if Herbert had declared for the 2019 draft and was not available in the 2020 draft? Would Telesco have drafted Jordan Love (trade down maybe?) or Jalen Hurts (2nd rnd, Isaiah Simmons in the 1st)? Or would he have skipped the 2020 QB class and offered Rivers a new one or two year contract? Or would he have still moved on from Phil and let Lynn roll with his plan to build a run-heavy offense around Tyrod Taylor?

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

What if...

What if Herbert had declared for the 2019 draft and was not available in the 2020 draft? Would Telesco have drafted Jordan Love (trade down maybe?) or Jalen Hurts (2nd rnd, Isaiah Simmons in the 1st)? Or would he have skipped the 2020 QB class and offered Rivers a new one or two year contract? Or would he have still moved on from Phil and let Lynn roll with his plan to build a run-heavy offense around Tyrod Taylor?
                    If I had to guess, Rivers would have been offered a one or two year contract extension.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

If I had to guess, Rivers would have been offered a one or two year contract extension.
                      Yeah, this might well be what would've happened. If Herb was not in the 2020 draft, it would have left only Burrow and Tua at the top of the draft, and Telesco might've looked at that and said, "let's keep going with Phil."

Though, do you think Lynn would have pushed to move on from Rivers, given how keen he was to install the Tyrod Taylor offense? (It boggles the mind that Lynn wanted to do this so badly, and was clearly put out when Herbert's play usurped his brilliant plan.)

If they had signed Phil to a new contract (and I agree it would've been one or two years - max), and they had drafted Isaiah Simmons in the 1st round of 2020 (making the wet dream of so many posters here come true), do you think they would've drafted Hurts in the 2nd, or try to move back into the 1st (like they did with Murray) to draft Love, with the idea of letting them sit behind Rivers for a season or two?

Hurts especially fits Lynn's offensive concept; Lynn's OC in 2020 is running that offense now in Philly with Hurts; the Eagles led the league in rushing in 2021, with Hurts contributing nearly 800 yds and 10 TDs on the ground.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Yeah, this might well be what would've happened. If Herb was not in the 2020 draft, it would have left only Burrow and Tua at the top of the draft, and Telesco might've looked at that and said, "let's keep going with Phil."

Though, do you think Lynn would have pushed to move on from Rivers, given how keen he was to install the Tyrod Taylor offense? (It boggles the mind that Lynn wanted to do this so badly, and was clearly put out when Herbert's play usurped his brilliant plan.)

If they had signed Phil to a new contract (and I agree it would've been one or two years - max), and they had drafted Isaiah Simmons in the 1st round of 2020 (making the wet dream of so many posters here come true), do you think they would've drafted Hurts in the 2nd, or try to move back into the 1st (like they did with Murray) to draft Love, with the idea of letting them sit behind Rivers for a season or two?

Hurts especially fits Lynn's offensive concept; Lynn's OC in 2020 is running that offense now in Philly with Hurts; the Eagles led the league in rushing in 2021, with Hurts contributing nearly 800 yds and 10 TDs on the ground.

Lynn was by all accounts a good man and human being - he was just not a good NFL coach. Most focus on his ineptitude on game days, but IMO his worst attribute was his inability to properly asses his players talents and use them appropriately. Taylor vs Herbert is a glaring example of his 'favorites' approach. I'm convinced that, if Tyrod had not been injured, Herbert would have been holding a clipboard all year. You have to assume that the coaching staff was able to see Herbert's abilities in practice and TC - why he wasn't the starter from day one was all about Lynn's loyalty to Tyrod. Loyalty is an admirable trait, but not when it clouds your judgement.

From a purely coaching standpoint Brandon Staley is about as opposite as you can get from Lynn (thankfully).

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Lynn was by all accounts a good man and human being - he was just not a good NFL coach. Most focus on his ineptitude on game days, but IMO his worst attribute was his inability to properly asses his players talents and use them appropriately. Taylor vs Herbert is a glaring example of his 'favorites' approach. I'm convinced that, if Tyrod had not been injured, Herbert would have been holding a clipboard all year. You have to assume that the coaching staff was able to see Herbert's abilities in practice and TC - why he wasn't the starter from day one was all about Lynn's loyalty to Tyrod. Loyalty is an admirable trait, but not when it clouds your judgement.

From a purely coaching standpoint Brandon Staley is about as opposite as you can get from Lynn (thankfully).
                          Yep, agree on all points. Lynn lost me when he blatantly showed irritation that Herbert was playing so well. He was so rigidly invested in his run and gun offense with Tyrod running the show, that he couldn't see past that to recognize his rookie QB was a generational talent, which was obvious to the entire NFL universe from coast to coast. Lynn seemed to be the only person on the planet (besides Tyrod and his peeps maybe) to resist the idea of how good Herb was right from the moment he took the field in 2020. "He's a backup for a reason." Just a refresher on how mind bogglingly ridiculous that statement was to everybody in the NFL after watching Herb in his first game.

Comment

Working...
                          X