• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kellyb72601
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

You realize he was playing hurt all year, right?
    He wasn't playing hurt last year and still looked like the same QB

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

I'm not talking about Qbs that run the ball 20 times a game like Lamar Jackson. I'm talking about QBs that regularly extend plays and scramble for a first down. Herbert maybe does that once a game. He needs to be doing it 4 or 5 times a game and his internal clock needs to speed up a LOT. He holds the ball too long in the pocket leading to negative plays. I'd like to see him play more like Josh Allen. Drop back, look for the bomb, and if the bomb isn't there frigging haul ass. Instead of doing that Herbert drops back, looks for the 5 yard stick route on one side, then the 5 yard crossing route, then the 5 yard stick route on the other side, then the checkdown 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Only if all those options are covered will he try to scramble and usually by then it's too late & he has to throw the ball away or take a sack. I'm sure a lot of that is coaching I just hope it's not too ingrained in him now.
      Herbert can do that. He just was hurt this year. He didn't run that much.

As for Daniel Jones, he rushed the ball 120 times this year which is twice as much as any other season. Maybe Daboll wants him to run more like Josh Allen does but that'll only get him hurt.

Comment

• JOJAX85
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Irmo, SC
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

He wasn't playing hurt last year and still looked like the same QB
        Incorrect. He ran for over 300 yards and picked up 28 1st downs last year. He ran for 234 and picked up 20 1st down THIS year with busted ribs. So yeah, he ran less this year, but he still did damage with his legs. To make it seem like he's Rivers back there is just not true.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Incorrect. He ran for over 300 yards and picked up 28 1st downs last year. He ran for 234 and picked up 20 1st down THIS year with busted ribs. So yeah, he ran less this year, but he still did damage with his legs. To make it seem like he's Rivers back there is just not true.
          You are correct. Lets hope he is totally healed up next year and has lost the hesitation he understandably had this year to protect his ribs.

Because one of the things required to take the offence and Herbert's game to the next level is a more consistant running threat and more movement from Herbert himself. A bit more the way Allen and Mahomes will run when they see openings.

Comment

• JOJAX85
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2018
            • Irmo, SC
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

You are correct. Lets hope he is totally healed up next year and has lost the hesitation he understandably had this year to protect his ribs.

Because one of the things required to take the offence and Herbert's game to the next level is a more consistant running threat and more movement from Herbert himself. A bit more the way Allen and Mahomes will run when they see openings.
            I believe that he will when he's healed up. He knows that's a weapon he has in his arsenal.

Comment

• PR#1
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Last edited by PR#1; 01-20-2023, 04:02 AM.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

What a difference six months makes. Last summer I debated a few on here who were saying Herbert was clearly better than Patrick Mahomes. (I wasn't knocking Herbert. I was just saying he had more to prove, and wasn't quite on Mahomes' level...yet.)

Now I'm reading Herbert isn't much better than Daniel Jones, and 2023 will be a make-or-break year for him.

Herbert is a top five quarterback. I don't see how anyone can debate that.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
                  What a difference six months makes. Last summer I debated a few on here who were saying Herbert was clearly better than Patrick Mahomes. (I wasn't knocking Herbert. I was just saying he had more to prove, and wasn't quite on Mahomes' level...yet.)

Now I'm reading Herbert isn't much better than Daniel Jones, and 2023 will be a make-or-break year for him.

Herbert is a top five quarterback. I don't see how anyone can debate that.
                  I agree with you. But Herbert still has a few steps to get to serious MVP consideration level with Mahomes. This year we learned that Herbert is still great and he showed toughness and resliency ina year filled with adversity which will help his development process...but we also learned for Herbert to fully reach his vast potential he needs a better system and better offensive coaching around him. There is a limit to what he can overcome.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Irmo, SC
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I agree with you. But Herbert still has a few steps to get to serious MVP consideration level with Mahomes. This year we learned that Herbert is still great and he showed toughness and resliency ina year filled with adversity which will help his development process...but we also learned for Herbert to fully reach his vast potential he needs a better system and better offensive coaching around him. There is a limit to what he can overcome.
                    Am I the only one who could care less if he wins MVP? I'm with Gronk, Super Bowls > MVP.
                    I don't imagine Ravens fans give a shit that Trent Dilfer won an MVP.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Kurt Warner's thoughts studying AFCWCG tape.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

I think you're looking at the wrong year. In 2020 he ran the ball 55 times for 234 yards. In 2021 he ran it 63 times for 302 yds. In 2022 he ran it 54 times for 107 yds.

Note how his 2022 rushing attempts were only down 9 from 2021 but yards were only 1/3 as much. That's largely because this year he held onto the ball more - by the time he decided to run it was already too late, which is exactly what I was talking about: He needs to make the decision to run earlier in his drop-back cycle. In an effort to be "perfect" with the offense his effectiveness declined this year. It's all there in the data.

Let's compare him to a few other QBs:

Patrick Mahomes: 61 rushes for 358 yards
                        Josh Allen: 124 rushes for 762 yards
                        Joe Burrow: 75 rushes for 257 yards
                        Kirk Cousins: 31 attempts for 97 yards
                        Daniel Jones 120 attempts for 708 yds

Herbert only rushed for 10 more yards than Kirk Cousins in 2022. There's something wrong with that.

Interestingly enough in 2022 Daniel Jones more than doubled his rushing attempts and yards over 2021. In 2021 he had 62 rushes for 298 yds. Look how much more effective he is this year.

I'm not saying Herbert needs to run for 700 yds, but he surely should be running for over 300.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Am I the only one who could care less if he wins MVP? I'm with Gronk, Super Bowls > MVP.
                          I don't imagine Ravens fans give a shit that Trent Dilfer won an MVP.
                          Lock step.
                          we've had more than our share of HOF players, not quite MVPs but the point is that nothing else matters if you don't have a superbowl championship.
                          G-Ro knows.

Comment

Working...
                          X