• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Ok, I agree for the most part but nobody is saying be just like Phil. Taking control of his team doesn't mean be like Phil.

I would have just said I agree, but you keep going there lol.
    I’m incurable brah. I don’t want Herbie to be Phil. I disagree with DerBos that nobody said he should be like Phil. It was posted, i’m not going to go research it but it was posted more than once and not as a joke. I do agree we have said the same thing too many times to keep posting it further. I’ll stop.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
      Fouts was sure a fierce competitor but so were Hadl before him and Rivers after him.

Hadl played the game like it was a dog fight. Rivers never gave up, never!

I thought I saw that same kind of competitor in Herbert. Remember all those fourth and long completions against the raiders. Herbert isn't as demonstrative as Dan or Hadl or even PR but these franchise-type QBs all seem to have that trait in common.
      Hadl was a tough sonofabitch back alley brawler stuck on some really shit teams late in his career. I wish I saw more of him, i was too young for most of his career and missed the golden years.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

One person in this thread made a joke about how Herbert should be more like Rivers and Keenan should be more like Ekeler. It was obvious he was kidding. One person clearly didn't get it.

Allen's been talking about it since before Herbert's second season.

Chargers wideout Keenan Allen, conspicuously dressed in a bright violet polo with matching sneakers, is sitting next to a buffet, plowing through a plate of biscuits and grits. I pull up a chair and ask him what it was like playing with a rookie quarterback after seven seasons of catching passes from Philip Rivers. "Phil has the knowledge, the experience," he says. "But as far as athletic ability?" He snorts. "It's not even close. The guy is throwing 70-yard bombs as he gets hit."

​It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. Herbert still has room to grow in the area Rivers excelled as a cerebral quarterback. That's understandable for a quarterback going into his fourth season in comparison to a guy who started for 15 years. Most quarterbacks, no matter how hard they work at it, will never be able to throw the ball the way Herbert does. One would think Herbert's potential to grow into the quarterback Rivers was from an X's and O's standpoint would be cause for excitement, with Herbert becoming much better as he learns more. Whatever, though.

Later in the article:

Herbert is Rivers' polar opposite in more ways than one. Allen can't remember a single instance of the rookie screaming in his presence; Rivers was, of course, well known for his antics on the field. "Phil's gonna yell every play," Allen says, cackling. "His team, the other team, he don't care. Phil yellin'." But the wide receiver is quick to point out that, for all of their ostensible differences, Rivers and Herbert share the same competitive fervor, it just manifests itself in different ways. During the Chargers' losing streak last year, he says, Herbert used to sit by himself at his locker for hours after games in full pads, eyes straight ahead. "I had to tell him, 'Bro: Let it go,'" says Allen. "'It ain't got nothing to do with you. Leave it out on the field.'"

Pretty much sums it up. In no way did he or anyone else say one way of leading is better than the other. At this point he, Ekeler, and probably many others just want Justin in his own way to make it clearer that it's his team.

So... be more like Phil.

?
        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

So... be more like Phil.

?
          No #*&% him. #*&% Fouts. #*&% Humphries.#*&% Brees. #*&% Hadl. #*&% Flutie. #*&% Harbaugh. #*&% McMahon. #*&% Unitas. #*&% Friesz. #*&% Whelihan. #*&% all of them.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
            Outback Goon
            • Sep 2018
            • Australia
            • Send PM

One person in this thread made a joke about how Herbert should be more like Rivers and Keenan should be more like Ekeler. It was obvious he was kidding. One person clearly didn't get it.

Allen's been talking about it since before Herbert's second season.

Chargers wideout Keenan Allen, conspicuously dressed in a bright violet polo with matching sneakers, is sitting next to a buffet, plowing through a plate of biscuits and grits. I pull up a chair and ask him what it was like playing with a rookie quarterback after seven seasons of catching passes from Philip Rivers. "Phil has the knowledge, the experience," he says. "But as far as athletic ability?" He snorts. "It's not even close. The guy is throwing 70-yard bombs as he gets hit."

​It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. Herbert still has room to grow in the area Rivers excelled as a cerebral quarterback. That's understandable for a quarterback going into his fourth season in comparison to a guy who started for 15 years. Most quarterbacks, no matter how hard they work at it, will never be able to throw the ball the way Herbert does. One would think Herbert's potential to grow into the quarterback Rivers was from an X's and O's standpoint would be cause for excitement, with Herbert becoming much better as he learns more. Whatever, though.

Later in the article:

Herbert is Rivers' polar opposite in more ways than one. Allen can't remember a single instance of the rookie screaming in his presence; Rivers was, of course, well known for his antics on the field. "Phil's gonna yell every play," Allen says, cackling. "His team, the other team, he don't care. Phil yellin'." But the wide receiver is quick to point out that, for all of their ostensible differences, Rivers and Herbert share the same competitive fervor, it just manifests itself in different ways. During the Chargers' losing streak last year, he says, Herbert used to sit by himself at his locker for hours after games in full pads, eyes straight ahead. "I had to tell him, 'Bro: Let it go,'" says Allen. "'It ain't got nothing to do with you. Leave it out on the field.'"

Pretty much sums it up. In no way did he or anyone else say one way of leading is better than the other. At this point he, Ekeler, and probably many others just want Justin in his own way to make it clearer that it's his team.
            this makes me LOL

90 YARD TOUCHDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN!!!

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

During the Chargers' losing streak last year, he says, Herbert used to sit by himself at his locker for hours after games in full pads, eyes straight ahead.
              Herbert's attempting to solve one of life's greatest mysteries: How the Chargers lose games despite 99.9% win probability going into the 4th quarter.

The solution? Find that 1% chance to win the SB.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

No #*&% him. #*&% Fouts. #*&% Humphries.#*&% Brees. #*&% Hadl. #*&% Flutie. #*&% Harbaugh. #*&% McMahon. #*&% Unitas. #*&% Friesz. #*&% Whelihan. #*&% all of them.
                Drink Reaction GIF by Laff

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

this makes me LOL

90 YARD TOUCHDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN!!!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                    Lol. For the record, guys - i didn’t mind Phil yelling and jawing. i thought it was fun and funny. he had pretty negative national press about his smack, usually unfair, but I never cared.

I just don’t think it’s Herbie and we shouldn’t try and make Herbie be something he’s not. I do look forward.to him continuing to be better and better, but I’m very happy where he is as a player and as a person.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

?
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

?
                        Yeah, beats me. Rivers and Drew got lumped in with Freisz and Whelihan - at first I thought he wanted Herbie to be like all of them, then I thought he’s saying Fxxx them all, so … yeah … ???

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2022
                          • Send PM

?
                          I guess you haven't read much of the garbage in this thread, but It was a joke, mocking this post below.

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                          No offense but fuck Phil at this point.
                          That was among his light outbursts in this thread. The rest were even more ridiculous replies I won't even bother rehashing.

Comment

Working...
                          X