• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If Darrisaw doesn't have the Spinal Stenosis that McNeil had - sign me up at 13 today! If his comps are Okung and McNeil - thats a darn good football player.
    I think those 2 comps are good comps. I'd say he's a bit better pass blocker, too.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
      Pretty much retired......
      • Sep 2018
      • JoJa
      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
      • Send PM

I would enjoy a trade down with a QB hungry team and still be able to nab Tevin Jenkins in the first. DREAM scenario for me. But it is Telasco after all........But an extra 2 would be bonzer......

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The 2006 version of Marcus McNeil was a stud. I still remember him pancaking Richard Seymour on that 4 & 1 Michael Turner conversion in the playoffs.
        Yep. Some of the newbie tape-watchers in this forum get caught up with the eye-popping combine metrics of players like Slater and Cosmi.

McNeil was no fluid athlete. Ran a 8.19 3-cone and had a 5.00 shuttle. But he was a brute force on the field. Especially the running game, just ask LT.

Made the pro bowl twice in his rookie contract.

If we could only be so lucky.
        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post
          Exceptions Rule.

Brees lack of height Gates lack of football experience
          Dielman lack of oline play because he was udfa D-Line.
          we could list a team of hall of famers starting with Jerry Rice lack of speed and find it really should be about can they play and perform on gameday. Who cares if they won the underwear Olympics or have the prototype measurements.

How do you measure desire to be great, dedication to your craft, obsessive film study and work ethics, high football IQ and anticipation, heart and toughness.

Who are the football-playing Jesse in this draft?
          ​​​​​​

Citing exceptions proves nothing. Heck, even the exceptions you cited included multiple UDFAs. Nobody is saying do not take a flier on an UDFA. And Jerry Rice's speed was disputed (i.e., depending on which time you accepted, he may not have been a red flagged at all).

For every exception, there are tens if not hundreds of players that were not exceptions. So should a GM gear his draft to catch the one in 100 that is an exception or to avoid the more likely busts while also rarely missing on a qualified candidate? The answer to that is obvious. A GM should maximize the likelihood of selecting a useful player by excluding or downgrading players with a significantly increased risk of being a bust. An occasional late round swing for the fences on a player with big upside, but with significant bust potential can be tolerated.

The underwear olympics help to isolate traits that are identified as desirable or not desirable at the NFL level.

There are thousands of college level players, but far fewer NFL players. Many times a player can get away with a lack of ability in college that the same player cannot get away with at the professional level. Manti Te'o was a recent and striking example of this. He was one of the best players in college, but we all remember how John Harbaugh was just shaking his head when we saw Te'o run. It was definitely Te'o's lack of athleticism that hurt him at the NFL level, making him a back end of the roster player at best. That is the exact kind of player, a player with good tape, but that demonstrates a lack of athleticism that should be downgraded and/or avoided.

Comment

• CivilBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Horn does not tackle well and does not play off coverage well. These are things that will downgrade him to Staley.

Farley, however, is a really good tackler. He has the elite upside at which Telesco drools (and of course Telesco does not shy away from college injuries).

If this was 4 years ago, Farley would be the pick.

Staley will be really helpful in telling Telesco how certain players will fit into his defense.
            Yup BS stressed his corners to be able to play well press/off coverage while providing run support so that is 2 out of 3 what he’s looking for.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

If fans stop talking about Darrisaw’s negatives and start talking about his positives, he’ll never make it to 13.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                Yep. Some of the newbie tape-watchers in this forum get caught up with the eye-popping combine metrics of players like Slater and Cosmi.

McNeil was no fluid athlete. Ran a 8.19 3-cone and had a 5.00 shuttle. But he was a brute force on the field. Especially the running game, just ask LT.

Made the pro bowl twice in his rookie contract.

If we could only be so lucky.
                yeah - i am not sure i get caught up with that. my two comps for the Chargers next LT have been McNeil and more recently and mostly Castonzo. McNeil did make pro bowls but Castonzo was just a good solid Left Tackle.

Comment

• Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                  Horn does not tackle well and does not play off coverage well. These are things that will downgrade him to Staley.

Farley, however, is a really good tackler. He has the elite upside at which Telesco drools (and of course Telesco does not shy away from college injuries).

Staley will be really helpful in telling Telesco how certain players will fit into his defense.
                  Because Horn is completely awesome at other things, I agree that tackling is not his greatest strength, but he is not a poor tackler at all.

He does not play off coverage frequently, but I am not persuaded that he cannot play off coverage. His traits are too good.

He is also physically very similar to Ramsey, which I think Staley will like and like a lot. I actually would not be surprised if Horn happened to be Staley's choice. That said, I have no idea what Telesco is thinking.

Farley is very talented, but I love Horn's ultracompetitive mindset along with his physical traits and lack of injury history. I think Horn is very driven and I really like that trait.

I can say that I do not like the reported fact that the team has met with Samuel twice as there at least 4 CBs I would take over him unless the team is looking at 2-47. Of course, we are in the NFL's liar's month.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

yeah - i am not sure i get caught up with that. my two comps for the Chargers next LT have been McNeil and more recently and mostly Castonzo. McNeil did make pro bowls but Castonzo was just a good solid Left Tackle.
                    Lol, nah you’re one of the few who understands that game tape is the most valuable tool for evaluating OL.
                    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

​​​​​
                      SurtainII missed tackles 11%
                      Horn missed tackles 15%
                      Farley missed tackles 25%

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

​​​​​
                        SurtainII missed tackles 11%
                        Horn missed tackles 15%
                        Farley missed tackles 25%
                        Are u Surtain about that? Link, please...

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Because Horn is completely awesome at other things, I agree that tackling is not his greatest strength, but he is not a poor tackler at all.

He does not play off coverage frequently, but I am not persuaded that he cannot play off coverage. His traits are too good.

He is also physically very similar to Ramsey, which I think Staley will like and like a lot. I actually would not be surprised if Horn happened to be Staley's choice. That said, I have no idea what Telesco is thinking.

Farley is very talented, but I love Horn's ultracompetitive mindset along with his physical traits and lack of injury history. I think Horn is very driven and I really like that trait.

I can say that I do not like the reported fact that the team has met with Samuel twice as there at least 4 CBs I would take over him unless the team is looking at 2-47. Of course, we are in the NFL's liar's month.
                          Some have argued (before the reported meetings) that Samuel has traits very similar to Kyle Fuller: guys who move fluidly the first 10 or so yards;
                          Staley and the Chargers wanted Fuller but lost out.

If it is an LT in the first, Samuel will be one of the very few they target in the 2nd round.

Comment

Working...
                          X