• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

It's going to be really interesting how this works out, because so much is out of the team's control in the draft.

We have no idea what the team really thinks. We have heard TT say they are comfortable with the QBs on the roster and Lynn's less than ringing endorsement that Taylor is in the driver's seat "for now" and we reportedly went after Brady which should say something about what they feel about Taylor.

Do we trade up to get Tua? If we don't, there is a good chance he'll be gone by 6. If you read anything into our FA signings and the rumors, this could play out.

Do we like Herbert and wait for him at 6? A lot here feel that is way too high for him, but he could be gone at 6.

Do we sit tight and draft whichever QB between Tua and Herbert is there at 6? There is a realistic chance both could be gone at that point and then we are on the fallback plan.

Could we really do something asinine like drafting Love at 6? I pray this doesn't happen. If they love Love, I hope we trade back before drafting him.

Do we not really like either Tua because of injury and are not sold on Herbert and draft BPA at 6 and take someone like Hurts/Fromm/Eason in the 2nd or later? Lots of teams could snap up the ones we like if we wait.

If we miss out on our draft QB, do we then go after someone like Cam Newton?

So many possibilities it makes my head spin.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        Essentially a non-issue for me.
        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Originally posted by Topcat View Post

In other words, Hurts has the "shit" quality--the ability to blow chunks and suck at all times...unlike, ahem, SOME QB's who despite not having a good OL for over decade are Hall of Fame locks that the Chargers failed to re-sign and allowed to sign with the Colts ...
          There...fixed it for you.

And there is no way that a Day 3 QB like Hurts is ever going to replace a Hall of Fame QB like Rivers. That would be a colossal downgrade at the QB position. Heck, Hurts would be a substantial downgrade from Tyrod Taylor.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            I would drop him a round. Because he may have been on steroids. And if he was, his performance will be slightly less once he's off them. And that slight difference in performance is the difference between making a play and almost making a play.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              Pretty much retired......
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

There...fixed it for you.

And there is no way that a Day 3 QB like Hurts is ever going to replace a Hall of Fame QB like Rivers. That would be a colossal downgrade at the QB position. Heck, Hurts would be a substantial downgrade from Tyrod Taylor.
              If Hurts goes day 3 then I will be the most surprised guy on the planet. 3rd round for sure and someone, like a Green Bay, could snag him in the 2nd. IMHO of course.........

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                Pretty much retired......
                • Sep 2018
                • JoJa
                • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                • Send PM

I just saw Brooks's latest mock at NFL.com. Had us taking Simmons at 6 and Tua falling past us to the Jags at 9. Yeah buddy!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

If Hurts goes day 3 then I will be the most surprised guy on the planet. 3rd round for sure and someone, like a Green Bay, could snag him in the 2nd. IMHO of course.........
                  I do not disagree with your take in general. Calling him a "Day 3 QB" is an indication...IMHO also...of where Hurts should be taken/what I think his abilities are. I think he probably will be drafted in the third round by some team, but that that amounts to a reach. I would not be totally shocked if Hurts lasted until round 4, but I also do not think it is the most likely result either.

I definitely disagree with those would rather have Hurts at #37 than Herbert at #6. I think Herbert is a bit of a reach at #6, but he also has the best combination of tools of any QB in this draft class. I think he is correctly valued as a second half of the first round QB. Hurts would not crack my top 100 players and I do not think he is anything other than a career backup QB in the NFL whereas Herbert could develop into an above average starting QB.

Even just quickly looking at some highlights today from Herbert and Hurts one right after the other, I would have to say that Hurts is pretty good except for that whole throwing the ball thing.

[Edit: I just saw Lance Zierlein's analysis of both Herbert and Hurts. I think Zierlein's player comparisons sum it up pretty well. Herbert's player comparison is Carson Wentz. Hurts' player comparison is Tim Tebow. I think that is pretty much what I am trying to say.]

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
                    I just saw Brooks's latest mock at NFL.com. Had us taking Simmons at 6 and Tua falling past us to the Jags at 9. Yeah buddy!!!!
                    I can totally see Tua lasting longer than Simmons

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                      • Feb 2019
                      • McLean Illinois
                      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      It's going to be really interesting how this works out, because so much is out of the team's control in the draft.

We have no idea what the team really thinks. We have heard TT say they are comfortable with the QBs on the roster and Lynn's less than ringing endorsement that Taylor is in the driver's seat "for now" and we reportedly went after Brady which should say something about what they feel about Taylor.

Do we trade up to get Tua? If we don't, there is a good chance he'll be gone by 6. If you read anything into our FA signings and the rumors, this could play out.

Do we like Herbert and wait for him at 6? A lot here feel that is way too high for him, but he could be gone at 6.

Do we sit tight and draft whichever QB between Tua and Herbert is there at 6? There is a realistic chance both could be gone at that point and then we are on the fallback plan.

Could we really do something asinine like drafting Love at 6? I pray this doesn't happen. If they love Love, I hope we trade back before drafting him.

Do we not really like either Tua because of injury and are not sold on Herbert and draft BPA at 6 and take someone like Hurts/Fromm/Eason in the 2nd or later? Lots of teams could snap up the ones we like if we wait.

If we miss out on our draft QB, do we then go after someone like Cam Newton?

So many possibilities it makes my head spin.
                      I been mocking sense December....it's like trying on hats. You grab your favorite, but then try some of the others on...each one looking good in a different way...but eventually you circle back and put the first one back on...and then try the others again....and you just can't decide!!

Actually, that was a totally fabricated analogy...I have, like, 2 ball caps...but I think you get the gist...

When I do my final mock next week, I'm probably going back to one of the first hats, if not the actual first one, I tried on...lol...some aren't going to like it, but what the hell? A week from this Thursday, the decision will be made, and draft dreams will be over....so I'll dream while I can.
                      Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I do not disagree with your take in general. Calling him a "Day 3 QB" is an indication...IMHO also...of where Hurts should be taken/what I think his abilities are. I think he probably will be drafted in the third round by some team, but that that amounts to a reach. I would not be totally shocked if Hurts lasted until round 4, but I also do not think it is the most likely result either.

I definitely disagree with those would rather have Hurts at #37 than Herbert at #6. I think Herbert is a bit of a reach at #6, but he also has the best combination of tools of any QB in this draft class. I think he is correctly valued as a second half of the first round QB. Hurts would not crack my top 100 players and I do not think he is anything other than a career backup QB in the NFL whereas Herbert could develop into an above average starting QB.

Even just quickly looking at some highlights today from Herbert and Hurts one right after the other, I would have to say that Hurts is pretty good except for that whole throwing the ball thing.

[Edit: I just saw Lance Zierlein's analysis of both Herbert and Hurts. I think Zierlein's player comparisons sum it up pretty well. Herbert's player comparison is Carson Wentz. Hurts' player comparison is Tim Tebow. I think that is pretty much what I am trying to say.]
                        Yeah, seen that comparison before, waaaaay off base IMHO.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                          We Are The Storm!
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I would drop him a round. Because he may have been on steroids. And if he was, his performance will be slightly less once he's off them. And that slight difference in performance is the difference between making a play and almost making a play.
                          Lol He just got caught.Cmon man I mean...really?Dont worry tho the pros will show him how to pass a test soon enough.

Comment

Working...
                          X