First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Critty View Post

Last year they pass 57% and run 43%

This year they pass 64% and run 36%

Less runs takes away from the play action game and hitting them over the top. Now you have to get them to take away short pass and QB has to really see the field well. Last year style asked less of Justin and helped set him up a bit more. This year's style is asking more of Justin has given him the keys. He will go deep when it's there. He has the greenest light from this HC who puts the ball in his hands all the time in clutch moments.
    The bolded language is pure BS.

As I have stated, the passing percentage is in the right range, but the plays called have bene a problem. Today was much, much better. We looked like the better team today. We had our most convincing win and did so without playing our best. Big plays early carried us to the win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Mike Willims said after todays game that the secondary started playing back more in the 2nd half so couldnt get deep balls and why the pass game went back to shorter....but some posters here just keep saying the WRs arent getting open.
      Shocking! You mean if hit some deep passes, the defense has to respect that instead of squatting on the short passes (as I emphasized right around the time we cut Johnson) and we can then start to hit the shorter passes more easily?! Who would have ever thought that? I mean, ya think?

Oh well, better for Lombardi to be late to the party than never I guess.

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Complete BS.

The author of the cited article cannot even tell the difference between Allen and Williams. Utterly clueless nonsense.

We have arguably the game's best deep passer and until today we have mostly refused to use him in that capacity, not to mention a great deep receiving option that regularly produces huge separation in Guyton.

Keeping this as an apples to apples discussion and factoring out the 35 Staley produced points by going for it on 4th downs on which Lynn never would have gone for it, last year's offense was actually outscoring this year's offense in points per game heading into today. And that is even with the idiotic game plans of Anthony Lynn. That is an incredible indictment against what Lombardi had done until today.

And it has been all Lombardi both in Detroit and here failing to take advantage of his strong armed QBs by throwing for among the fewest air yards per pass in the league. It failed in Detroit and it had been failing with us. Amazingly, it is much more difficult to score a TD on a 15 play drive than it is on a 3 play drive that features a completed long pass, something that Lombardi just seems to have overlooked all season long on his way to being the best defense against Herbert.

But today, finally, after being begged to do so by a multitude of media pundits (because the vast majority of those watching us play can see the problem as plain as day), Lombardi called some clearly designed deep passes (versus just having Guyton run deep as the 4th or 5th option on a planned short pass). Without Hebert playing his best, and with multiple dropped long passes that should have led to two additional TDs for us, the offense finally looked explosive.

There is zero evidence that designed shot plays were called last week like today. There is ample evidence that the defenders were tightly contesting intended short passes because that is 98% of what we had thrown over most of the season.

The OL is struggling argument in the face of last year's even worse OL that was good enough to allow a successful deep passing game is clearly BS and can be rejected out of hand.
        Again with this evidence argument as if a crime happened.

You are brilliant.
        I'm still not sure why you are here posting that my take is BS, when you should be coaching on an NFL sideline.

I am sure you understand that the progression changes on the exact same play call based on the coverages. And I'm sure you get that Justin will have calls with run and pass options and adjustments based on the defense coverages.

And you clearly get the OC is at fault here.

I just disagree and think that each game and play is its own thing. And I think Justin is more in charge of the offense this year and he his taking what defense is giving him where last year they held his hand more by running it more on purpose.
        I think the concepts in this scheme have had proven success of top 5 offenses over and over again. And I think the OC is teaching him the scheme and giving him the keys to drive it the way he wants to on each and every snap.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

As I have stated, the passing percentage is in the right range, but the plays called have bene a problem. Today was much, much better. We looked like the better team today. We had our most convincing win and did so without playing our best. Big plays early carried us to the win.
          You have no evidence.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Mike Willims said after todays game that the secondary started playing back more in the 2nd half so couldnt get deep balls and why the pass game went back to shorter....but some posters here just keep saying the WRs arent getting open.
            BS.
            It's obvious Chainy knows more than Mike Williams and the entire Chargers staff.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Shocking! You mean if hit some deep passes, the defense has to respect that instead of squatting on the short passes (as I emphasized right around the time we cut Johnson) and we can then start to hit the shorter passes more easily?! Who would have ever thought that? I mean, ya think?

Oh well, better for Lombardi to be late to the party than never I guess.
              LOL...good one, Crusher! Also, sounds like a song:

Better for Lombardi
              To be late for the party
              Than to dial up the short stuff
              Against a box that's stacked

Better for Lombardi
              To be late for the party
              Now we got our O rollin'
              And the Bolts are back!

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

The results grading is a terrible take. It has no detail and no context. The facts are on film for all to see if they blocked better last game or game before Justin would have hit more deep shots in those previous games.

And if next week vs Giants or some other game after they struggle to execute any good deep shots, regardless of protection and coverages that day, the results graders will say why is the OC going back to all this short stuff. It's their M.O.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Lombardi is doing well, imo. Lombardi’s offense is ninth in points, with an average of 26.2 points per game. They rank eighth yards per game with 382.1, with 281.1 passing yards. Their rushing game ranks 22nd with a 101-yard rushing average.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2020
                    • Send PM

Fire Lombardi?? No.. Only for Herbert to go through another OC?? Let Lombardi and Herbert grow together. When they both are on, it’s a beautiful thing to see. Herbert still needs to continue to grow, which he has done. All of the success is not solely because of Herbert, just as many of the offensive struggles are not solely on Lombardi in my opinion.

I really like this coaching staff. They are overall young, but very promising. The last thing needed here is another change so soon.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Why don't Mahomes and the Chiefs just go back to the big plays that got them to two Super Bowls?

Its just so simple: send Tyreek deep! send Kelce up a seam! Harooom, haroom!

Just do it!!!

Comment

• Classic
                        Hall Of Fame
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Why don't Mahomes and the Chiefs just go back to the big plays that got them to two Super Bowls?

Its just so simple: send Tyreek deep! send Kelce up a seam! Harooom, haroom!

Just do it!!!
                        Forget about the long passes. Why doesn't Joe simply call more Touchdown plays? If he did, our offense would score on every drive. C'MON JOE STUUP BEING SOO DUMB!

Comment

• AK47
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                          Lombardi is doing well, imo. Lombardi’s offense is ninth in points, with an average of 26.2 points per game. They rank eighth yards per game with 382.1, with 281.1 passing yards. Their rushing game ranks 22nd with a 101-yard rushing average.
                          I heard the Chargers are averaging 6+ yards per rush when running left. Not so hot running up the gut and running right. If we solidify the right side and find a legit big back we're in business for the run game.

Comment

Working...
                          X