Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe Lombardi Discussion

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • And for those who think it's all about continuity, why did we fire the special teams coach from last year? One season? That loss should wreak HAVOC in the minds of some of our posters.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

      OR just hire a good one.

      Lombo was never promoted to the gig under Peyton. Think about that. Crazy. And the one time Lombo WAS an OC, he was a disaster. It's there for all to se.

      This isn't too terribly difficult to figure out. Some of us saw the writing on the wall BEFORE last season. It was and is Staley's love for his former coach that he brought Lombo over and keeps him here now. Of course. And it's why he won't let him go.

      The usual rebuttal is something about a Top-5 offense. Bottom line, it's Herbert. It's always Herbert. Heck, Herbert was phenomenal under Anthony Lynn, who was a run-first, don't play the rookie, coach. And Herbert made THAT work.

      I'm starting to think that these people on here who complain when other point out something negative about the Chargers are simply trying to gaslight us into not believing what we're seeing with our own eyes. Either that, or they love these forums because they can complain about posters and less about football. It's so odd.
      Payton called the plays and they had an OC who pretty much did what Bieniemi does. Whats to think about? Nobody is banging down Bieniemi's door to be their OC or HC.

      This is Payton's OC, Pete Carmicheal. His first season calling plays is this season so we'll see how he does.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 09-23-2022, 04:31 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

        Payton called the plays and they had an OC who pretty much did what Biemiemi does. Whats to think about? Nobody is banging down Biemiemi's door to be their OC or HC.

        This is Payton's OC, Pete Carmicheals first season calling plays so we'll see how he does.
        Hmmm.
        Jameis regressing.
        Staley.
        Genius ?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

          OR just hire a good one.

          Lombo was never promoted to the gig under Peyton. Think about that. Crazy. And the one time Lombo WAS an OC, he was a disaster. It's there for all to se.

          This isn't too terribly difficult to figure out. Some of us saw the writing on the wall BEFORE last season. It was and is Staley's love for his former coach that he brought Lombo over and keeps him here now. Of course. And it's why he won't let him go.

          The usual rebuttal is something about a Top-5 offense. Bottom line, it's Herbert. It's always Herbert. Heck, Herbert was phenomenal under Anthony Lynn, who was a run-first, don't play the rookie, coach. And Herbert made THAT work.

          I'm starting to think that these people on here who complain when other point out something negative about the Chargers are simply trying to gaslight us into not believing what we're seeing with our own eyes. Either that, or they love these forums because they can complain about posters and less about football. It's so odd.
          Very good points, Bay. Herbie masks a lot of Lombo's deficiencies...fire him now, before he costs us a few trap game losses and we miss the playoffs again...

          Comment


          • Herbert has options on every play.

            Safer plays are a natural component of improved plus--minus ratio.

            Two more games and it will be time to reassess at the quarter of the season mark.
            Staley.
            Genius ?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              Herbert has options on every play.

              Safer plays are a natural component of improved plus--minus ratio.

              Two more games and it will be time to reassess at the quarter of the season mark.
              Boring.
              but fair.
              Nunc Coepi
              No excuses
              LFGSD

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

                Payton called the plays and they had an OC who pretty much did what Bieniemi does. Whats to think about? Nobody is banging down Bieniemi's door to be their OC or HC.
                So if the OC job was so easy in New Orleans (and I'm not disagreeing), why wouldn't they give the job to Lombo? OC is clearly the higher title on a resume. He spent a lot of years there sort of stagnant in terms of position.

                The more telling point I made, though, was his time in Detroit. As an OC.

                I didn't want the guy then and I sure as hell hope we move on from him after this year.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

                  So if the OC job was so easy in New Orleans (and I'm not disagreeing), why wouldn't they give the job to Lombo? OC is clearly the higher title on a resume. He spent a lot of years there sort of stagnant in terms of position.

                  The more telling point I made, though, was his time in Detroit. As an OC.

                  I didn't want the guy then and I sure as hell hope we move on from him after this year.
                  I dont understand why you think he should of got the OC job there. Pete Carmicheal has been the OC there since 2009 though he didn't call the plays...til this year.
                  After the Saints successes, he, like Bieniemi haven't gotten any HCs offers likely because they don't call the plays and are more like assistants to the guy that does.

                  Dennis Allen who was their DC is now their head coach and he retained most everyone while Lombardi, not being a coordinator got offered the OC for us...which is a higher title like you said.

                  Lombardi's time in Deteoit was 8 years ago. You think a guy would learn a thing or two in that time? I'm guessing you would say no.

                  However, I wasn't over the moon when they hired him either for the position but i don't think he is doing a bad job. For me he can open things up a little to keep defenses more on their toes but that's about it.

                  He did get the opportunity to learn from one of the best in Payton.....since his time in Detroit.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
                    Play calling is really holding us back. Some real head scratchers tonight.

                    He just does not seem to have a feel for the game.
                    Let's look at this a different way, was Herbert more effective and the O better his rookie season with Shane Steichen calling the plays, or is Herbert more efficient now with this OC?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

                      I dont understand why you think he should of got the OC job there. Pete Carmicheal has been the OC there since 2009 though he didn't call the plays...til this year.
                      After the Saints successes, he, like Bieniemi haven't gotten any HCs offers likely because they don't call the plays and are more like assistants to the guy that does.

                      Dennis Allen who was their DC is now their head coach and he retained most everyone while Lombardi, not being a coordinator got offered the OC for us...which is a higher title like you said.

                      Lombardi's time in Deteoit was 8 years ago. You think a guy would learn a thing or two in that time? I'm guessing you would say no.

                      However, I wasn't over the moon when they hired him either for the position but i don't think he is doing a bad job. For me he can open things up a little to keep defenses more on their toes but that's about it.

                      He did get the opportunity to learn from one of the best in Payton.....since his time in Detroit.
                      We will see; we have two shining reference points in the AFC west that will put it to a test.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by electricgold View Post

                        Let's look at this a different way, was Herbert more effective and the O better his rookie season with Shane Steichen calling the plays, or is Herbert more efficient now with this OC?
                        Hard to say! both ran into tough shoals against New England and a few other teams.

                        Lombo should have the better version of Herbert and the difference between offensive lines is night vs day.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by electricgold View Post

                          Let's look at this a different way, was Herbert more effective and the O better his rookie season with Shane Steichen calling the plays, or is Herbert more efficient now with this OC?
                          Experience should tip the scales so the expectation is Herbert would be improving each year. Then the players surrounding Herbert have to be considered from season to season. With ever improving OL, you would expect improvement.

                          But this is about Lombardi. What’s disturbing is the offense seems to roll the first half and stall in the second half.

                          Lombardi admitted that in one of the games he purposely played too conservatively in the 2nd half and it was a mistake.

                          Then the same dichotomy between the 1st and 2nd half happened again in the next game.

                          Why is this? Does it mean if Lombardi has a week to prepare against a defense he can call a good offense for a half but like ignoring Everetts signal to come out of the game Lombardi is poor at making in game adjustments?

                          The better OC’s observe the opposing defense and figure out how to exploit it as the game progresses. The opposite is happening with Lombardi.

                          Lombardi apologists say it’s the injuries.

                          It’s only two games into the season. Let’s see if this continues to be the case or the offense can improve in the 2nd half of games.



                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X