• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
    He's negotiating, i don't know what he would finally accept.

What i'd expect is that the Chargers hold firm & Gordon misses a few games and then returns. Gordon doesn't want to be franchise tagged after that - maybe informally the Chargers concede in private on that matter.

Gordon isn't a top 3 back but he makes a big difference to the Chargers. Although I like the other Charger backs, their production will go way down if they get heavy minutes. Ekeler bombed out against Pittsburgh when he was the featured back. Every time when the Chargers are on on the cusp, like clockwork, something like this happens.
    That might be it, just get an agreement with the team to not franchise tag him. Then he's free to get his best deal next year. And everybody wins.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Bell turned that offer down because the guaranteed money was embarrassing. All you guys who love contracts, remember the team can get out of it whenever they want. All they are on the hook for is guaranteed $$
      The guaranteed money in the proposed Steeler deal was going to be $33 million. Nothing embarrassing about that. After rejecting the $70 mil, ($33 mil guaranteed offer by the Steelers, Bell instead chose the Jets and a $52 mil deal with $27 mil guaranteed. Looks like Bell should have stayed put with the Steelers. By the way, the Jets even smartly negotiated an Addae-like "out" after two years...now THAT'S embarrassing (at least for Bell, one of the top 2-3 backs in the game)...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...-the-steelers/
      Bell's current Jet contract:
      https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/leveon-bell-12329/
      Last edited by Topcat; 07-14-2019, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
        I want to thank Melvin Gordon for giving us some drama to read about and debate on this forum in the dead days before camp starts. This is normally the most boring time of year football-wise. Thank you MGIII. Now end your hold out, come into camp, have an MVP-caliber year playing out your rookie contract while building up your value in preparation for free agency in 2020, and let's win a Superbowl.
        Honestly, it looks like Gordie is in the process of burning his bridges behind him...his dual agents, Bilbo and Golum have brainwashed "my precious" into believing he's the greatest back of all time...I think he's gonna get traded for picks...

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

There's a lot of talented backs coming out next year.
          25 Jonathan Taylor Wisconsin Jr RB 1 5-11 219
          30 Ke'Shawn Vaughn Vanderbilt Sr RB 2 5-10 218
          32 Travis Etienne Clemson Jr RB 3 5-10 215
          42 D'Andre Swift Georgia Soph RB 4 5-9 215
          46 J.K. Dobbins Ohio St. Jr RB 5 5-10 217
          58 Cam Akers Florida St. Jr RB 6 5-11 212
          63 Trey Sermon Oklahoma Jr RB 7 6-0 221
          71 AJ Dillon Boston College Jr RB 8 6-0 250
          78 Najee Harris Alabama Soph RB 9 6-2 230
          87 Eno Benjamin Arizona St. Jr RB 10 5-10 201
          90 Scottie Phillips Ole Miss Sr RB 11 5-8 211
          92 Kylin Hill Miss. State Soph RB 12 5-11 215
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Especially since Dak is their QB. lol Honestly had i known that MG would be potentially sitting out...or if i had no intention of signing him long term...i might have looked at some of the RBs available in the 3rd and 4th rounds this past draft. Steelers. Pats. Ravens. Rams. Teams with decent stables of RBs all dipped there. Im trying to figure out what Telesco's mindset here is. He may have thought they had MG willing to accept their offers? He may think what we have is sufficient. And it may be. We will have to see what happens with MG out. I really liked Jackson in college. He isnt a huge back. Can he last behind this OL?

I actually though a few of the RBs taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds this draft were good value. Singletary. Snell. Harris. Mongtomery.

Honestly really like next years crop of potential RBs. I do tend to think if this was Rivers last year we may make the attempt to sign Gordon. But i think Rivers stays on a few more. 2 at least. and we let Gordon walk. Again it would be nice to have MG this year. But if we dont make the SB and we are able to sign most of our other studs long term we will be fine. Im more concerned about replacing Rivers long term than i am Gordon.
            Good points. It would have been nice if Gordon would have let the Bolts know about his renegotiation and holdouts demands back in February or March, so the Bolt Brass could have at least started scouting RB's to draft in the mid to late rounds. But no. He has to wait until just a few weeks before TC...after everything the Chargers have done for him, now Gordie bites the hand that feeds him...thanks, Mel, have fun cashing your slightly higher check than the Bolt offer as you play for a loser like the Bucs or the Fins...

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

The guaranteed money in the proposed Steeler deal was going to be $33 million. Nothing embarrassing about that. After rejecting the $70 mil, ($33 mil guaranteed offer by the Steelers, Bell instead chose the Jets and a $52 mil deal with $27 mil guaranteed. Looks like Bell should have stayed put with the Steelers. By the way, the Jets even smartly negotiated an Addae-like "out" after two years...now THAT'S embarrassing (at least for Bell, one of the top 2-3 backs in the game)...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...-the-steelers/
              Bell's current Jet contract:
              https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/leveon-bell-12329/
              For you and panamamike, that's hindsight. MG III May very well regret this but he's in the disrespected frame of mind right now. Like L'veon was. Marty was in the same place when the Chargers offered him a $4m extension that wasn't guaranteed. He lost some money but didn't care

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                There's a lot of talented backs coming out next year.
                25 Jonathan Taylor Wisconsin Jr RB 1 5-11 219
                30 Ke'Shawn Vaughn Vanderbilt Sr RB 2 5-10 218
                32 Travis Etienne Clemson Jr RB 3 5-10 215
                42 D'Andre Swift Georgia Soph RB 4 5-9 215
                46 J.K. Dobbins Ohio St. Jr RB 5 5-10 217
                58 Cam Akers Florida St. Jr RB 6 5-11 212
                63 Trey Sermon Oklahoma Jr RB 7 6-0 221
                71 AJ Dillon Boston College Jr RB 8 6-0 250
                78 Najee Harris Alabama Soph RB 9 6-2 230
                87 Eno Benjamin Arizona St. Jr RB 10 5-10 201
                90 Scottie Phillips Ole Miss Sr RB 11 5-8 211
                92 Kylin Hill Miss. State Soph RB 12 5-11 215
                I'm liking this AJ Dillon kid out of Boston. 6-0, 250. Now THAT'S some serious beef on a RB!!! Look at not only his decent top speed, but the way he pancakes opposing tacklers:

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Good points. It would have been nice if Gordon would have let the Bolts know about his renegotiation and holdouts demands back in February or March, so the Bolt Brass could have at least started scouting RB's to draft in the mid to late rounds. But no. He has to wait until just a few weeks before TC...after everything the Chargers have done for him, now Gordie bites the hand that feeds him...thanks, Mel, have fun cashing your slightly higher check than the Bolt offer as you play for a loser like the Bucs or the Fins...
                  Or maybe even kick the tires on a guy like CJ Anderson. Who looked good. But that was behind a decent OL. Tevin Coleman didnt rake in the cash either imo. And would be a nice compliment to what we have. Mark Ingram didnt put up huge numbers last year and got 15M over 3. Isnt much of a threat in the pass game. Melvin is a good all around RB who is somewhat fragile. And i tend to think he gets hit the most. Especially behind the LOS. He breaks more tackles than most RBs in the league. Hes probably worth 8+ a year.

But teams that can afford him will be teams most likely with a Rookie QB. And this day and age players are getting overpaid and raising the market value for positions. We are not in a position unfortunately to have the luxury of signing al of ur studs. Especially when Rivers signs his next contract which could easily be 35M a year.

The good news is that Telesco is doing a good enough job that we are in this predicament. Obviously Rivers isnt his guy and that is a factor in why we have to build through the draft. He has drafted some really good value for us. Value that will get paid massively.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

I thought they were good value where they were drafted. We could see a few 1st round RBs next year. In a perfect world we get a late 1st for MG. I know it wont happen. You dont need to remind me of that. lol. Then package 2 1st's and a 2021 1st to move up to get the QB of the future. If that QB is there.

Im sweating the post Rivers era more than i am the post Gordon era.
                    No worries, don't sweat it...it's Stick to the rescue...

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

Or maybe even kick the tires on a guy like CJ Anderson. Who looked good. But that was behind a decent OL. Tevin Coleman didnt rake in the cash either imo. And would be a nice compliment to what we have. Mark Ingram didnt put up huge numbers last year and got 15M over 3. Isnt much of a threat in the pass game. Melvin is a good all around RB who is somewhat fragile. And i tend to think he gets hit the most. Especially behind the LOS. He breaks more tackles than most RBs in the league. Hes probably worth 8+ a year.

But teams that can afford him will be teams most likely with a Rookie QB. And this day and age players are getting overpaid and raising the market value for positions. We are not in a position unfortunately to have the luxury of signing al of ur studs. Especially when Rivers signs his next contract which could easily be 35M a year.

The good news is that Telesco is doing a good enough job that we are in this predicament. Obviously Rivers isnt his guy and that is a factor in why we have to build through the draft. He has drafted some really good value for us. Value that will get paid massively.
                      CJ Anderson was signed. What about adding L. Blount, who is available, to the RB rotation and give him a very limited workload, say as a goal line back?

I agree that Gordon would be an especially valuable asset to a young QB. He's a hard runner who can carry the ground attack and is an accomplished receiver who can help simplify the passing game for a learning QB with his ability to turn screen and swing passes into big gainers. Miami with Josh Rosen comes to mind. Who do the 'Fins have That TT could trade for to help the Bolts now?

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

CJ Anderson was signed. What about adding L. Blount, who is available, to the RB rotation and give him a very limited workload, say as a goal line back?

I agree that Gordon would be an especially valuable asset to a young QB. He's a hard runner who can carry the ground attack and is an accomplished receiver who can help simplify the passing game for a learning QB with his ability to turn screen and swing passes into big gainers. Miami with Josh Rosen comes to mind. Who do the 'Fins have That TT could trade for to help the Bolts now?
                        A nice, high draft pick or two...won't help now, but certainly later...unless Laremy Tunsil wants out...
                        Last edited by Topcat; 07-14-2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Yeah i was simply implying that Anderson or Coleman could have potentially helped us had we known prior to them signing that having Gordon this season was a long shot.

Comment

Working...
                          X